UCLA Law Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
weee

Bronze

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Post by weee » Tue May 18, 2010 6:21 pm

daesonesb wrote:
thisamericanlife wrote:Has anyone heard who the new dean is? I don't know if it has been publicly announced yet and I can't find any info on the website.
They're dumping Rob Swartz?
Dean Schwartz is the Admissions and Financial Aid Dean. The Dean of the law school Dean Schill is now the UChicago Dean. Dean Yeazell is interim dean, and is not a candidate to be dean of the law school as defined by his role. I asked Dean Schwartz when to expect to hear about a new dean, and he basically said the search is still in progress, and they're hoping to make an announcement before start of classes in the Fall. He also told me that a major concern of the Dean will need to be the rising tuition, because if it goes up beyond the 50k projected for 2013 year, it is going to be bad for recruiting.

SaraLA

New

Post by SaraLA » Tue May 18, 2010 7:41 pm

weee wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
thisamericanlife wrote:Has anyone heard who the new dean is? I don't know if it has been publicly announced yet and I can't find any info on the website.
Dean Schwartz is the Admissions and Financial Aid Dean. The Dean of the law school Dean Schill is now the UChicago Dean. Dean Yeazell is interim dean, and is not a candidate to be dean of the law school as defined by his role. I asked Dean Schwartz when to expect to hear about a new dean, and he basically said the search is still in progress, and they're hoping to make an announcement before start of classes in the Fall. He also told me that a major concern of the Dean will need to be the rising tuition, because if it goes up beyond the 50k projected for 2013 year, it is going to be bad for recruiting.
50k???

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Tue May 18, 2010 8:42 pm

40/45/50 instate for the next 3 years, roughly. It has been posted a bajillion times on the forum. I believe the discrepency between the document and the tuition we'll see is the health insurance, but I"m not sure about that one.

http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/r ... v09/f2.pdf

thisamericanlife

New

Post by thisamericanlife » Tue May 18, 2010 11:08 pm

weee wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
the search is over. The announcement must be coming soon.

abceasy

New

Post by abceasy » Wed May 19, 2010 2:20 am

Last edited by abceasy on Wed May 19, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Wed May 19, 2010 2:53 am

Thisamericanlife it sounds like you have inside info please do share if you find out before a public announcement.

keeptellingmethat

New

Post by keeptellingmethat » Wed May 19, 2010 8:19 pm

Throwing my hat in the ring - just got accepted! I'm still wait listed at Anderson for the JD/MBA program but I'll be at UCLA this fall!

Already living out here so happy to offer LA advice if anyone needs it!

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Thu May 20, 2010 6:47 pm

keeptellingmethat wrote:Throwing my hat in the ring - just got accepted! I'm still wait listed at Anderson for the JD/MBA program but I'll be at UCLA this fall!

Congrats!

So how are you all planning on dealing with the two photographs thing, just going and getting some passport photos at the post office?

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Fri May 21, 2010 1:20 am

weee wrote:
keeptellingmethat wrote:Throwing my hat in the ring - just got accepted! I'm still wait listed at Anderson for the JD/MBA program but I'll be at UCLA this fall!

Congrats!

So how are you all planning on dealing with the two photographs thing, just going and getting some passport photos at the post office?
I think I will get mine at AAA. They're like $8 (I've always gone there for passport photos) and the whole experience has always been much more bearable to me than the post office. Idk if you have to be a member (probably) but if you are, it's waaay worth it. Ahh, no pun intended.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keeptellingmethat

New

Post by keeptellingmethat » Fri May 21, 2010 5:56 pm

Gosh, I haven't even thought about that yet. I guess I'm heading to the post office soon :)

Anyone been out of school for a while? I've been out for a few years and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on things to do to prep for the work load.

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Fri May 21, 2010 7:20 pm

just fyi I took a pic with my digital cam in front of a white wall and then cropped my head and shoulders into 2x2 photo based on passport photo guidelines I found online. I then put 6 copies of the photo onto a 5x7 canvas and went to the local kinkos and printed one photo at their very handy photo station for $2.10 I sent it in and they accepted it. $8 is not bad though but all the places I had looked were $15

Still waiting to hear any new dean news

I have been out of school a while but I have no idea what to do for the workload. I plan to basically disappear from the face of the world for the first year and then adjust based on how I did

abceasy

New

Post by abceasy » Fri May 21, 2010 7:59 pm

what is this passport photo that everyone is talking about?

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Fri May 21, 2010 10:05 pm

Requirements before we start

2nd deposit
Official transcript showing your ugrad degree
Two passporty photos for student id

It is all in your ursa account under view your response, where you submitted you sir and slr if applicable

None of this is super urgent though

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

abceasy

New

Post by abceasy » Sun May 23, 2010 5:37 pm

thanks for that info

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Sun May 23, 2010 7:46 pm

keeptellingmethat wrote:Gosh, I haven't even thought about that yet. I guess I'm heading to the post office soon :)

Anyone been out of school for a while? I've been out for a few years and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on things to do to prep for the work load.
I am following the 13 week self study plan in the book Planet Law School 2 by Atticus Falcon. It is a lot of work, almost like adding 13 weeks to the semester, without the stress of being called on or artificial deadlines or real tests. So far it is enjoyable.

siaynoqq

New

Post by siaynoqq » Wed May 26, 2010 3:32 pm

Anyone else commuting? I'm going to be coming from North Hollywood/Valley Glen region.

Still trying to decide if this is worth the money I'll be saving. Living in Westwood sounds pretty awesome, and part of me still wants to move out there.

brewinbruin

New

Post by brewinbruin » Thu May 27, 2010 12:31 pm

Not sure if I'll take housing in Westwood, and if I don't I'll be commuting from the valley.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

autarkh

Bronze

Post by autarkh » Thu May 27, 2010 6:27 pm

The commute isn't that bad provided you go at the right time by the right route. Beverly Glen and Sepulveda are decent. Even the 405 is tolerable IF (big if) you can avoid the interchange with the 101.

siaynoqq

New

Post by siaynoqq » Fri May 28, 2010 4:15 pm

The commute isn't that bad provided you go at the right time by the right route. Beverly Glen and Sepulveda are decent. Even the 405 is tolerable IF (big if) you can avoid the interchange with the 101.
I actually don't live very far from you (I'm around Coldwater/Oxnard). I used to work in West LA, not too far from UCLA, so I've tried all the different paths. The commute is definitely doable at the right times, but I'm guessing we're going to have early morning classes which are going to make it awful.

I try to get on the 405 right past Ventura, right after the 405 merges with the 101. That definitely helps save some time.

Curry

Post by Curry » Fri May 28, 2010 4:28 pm

Current UCLA student here chiming in (not law school, undergrad).

First of all - the pictures themselves don't have to be passporty. They just want a small picture. Its not that big of a deal.

Secondly, graduate housing is EXPENSIVE. It is cheaper to get an apartment in Westwood itself. Most people pay around 700 a month (2 bedroom 2 bath with 3 roommates) but you can get it cheaper. If you find the right places, you can get it down to almost 400 a month.

Third - Parking in westwood is an absolute bitch. Its expensive to get a parking spot in an apartment complex and you can't park on the street because of cleaning twice a week. Parking on campus is just as bad. Permits are the luck of the draw and really quite expensive. That being said, the campus is fairly small. 80% of undergrads don't have a car. Most people walk. Biking is a bit unrealistic at the moment because they put a dismount zone through the most busy walkway on campus, but along the north side of campus (near the law school) its quite doable. That being said, bike theft is a huge problem, so be cautious. From Weyburn terrace, it takes about 25 minutes to walk to the law school.

Fourth - Food in westwood is unrealistic. There is a ralphs in the town which is a little pricey, and then you have a whole foods and a trader joes. Most people borrow cars and go to the costco nearby. Its definitely not walking distance. That being said, you can get a decent meal for less than 4 bucks all throughout westwood.

I'm here if you guys have more questions!

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:30 pm

I think the parking application is available today. http://www.parking.ucla.edu

But once I get to the page of instructions/rules, it won't let me go any farther. There is red text as if I'm not eligible. Are the Weyburn permits separate from regular UCLA permits? Meeehh.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

abceasy

New

Post by abceasy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:12 pm

Slansky wrote:I think the parking application is available today. http://www.parking.ucla.edu

But once I get to the page of instructions/rules, it won't let me go any farther. There is red text as if I'm not eligible. Are the Weyburn permits separate from regular UCLA permits? Meeehh.

I think that you probably aren't classified as a student until you submit your second deposit, turn in the photos, etc so that you are ready to be enrolled in the law school.

Curry

Post by Curry » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:19 pm

abceasy wrote:
Slansky wrote:I think the parking application is available today. http://www.parking.ucla.edu

I think that you probably aren't classified as a student until you submit your second deposit, turn in the photos, etc so that you are ready to be enrolled in the law school.
For the undergrad level, you are a student after you submit your SIR.

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:22 pm

I guess I'll ask the parking question at the reception Monday... it's still confusing me. =/

Scribble

New

Post by Scribble » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:02 am

First-time poster and proud member of the class of 2013 here.
Just wondering who is attending the reception, and if you're bringing guests or not? Just rsvped and looking forward to it!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”