USC Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
thestoryends

New

Re: USC Class of 2013

Post by thestoryends » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:58 pm

after visiting last week, i'm 99% sure i'll be at usc this fall. does anybody know when orientation starts? i know the first day of classes is aug 23.

i'm also interested in finding a place in the silverlake area, so i'm interested to hear from anybody who knows the commute/area/anybody who is also looking there. people at law day mostly recommended downtown apartments to me, but the $1800/month studio rents are less than attractive to someone coming from a MUCH lower cost of living.

NerdmoD

New

Post by NerdmoD » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:01 pm

Anyone else taking the commuter train in from down south to Union Station? I'm going to be coming in from Irvine starting next year, and wanted to see if I'll have any train buddies... :D

smacroon

New

Post by smacroon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:31 pm

thestoryends wrote:after visiting last week, i'm 99% sure i'll be at usc this fall. does anybody know when orientation starts? i know the first day of classes is aug 23.

i'm also interested in finding a place in the silverlake area, so i'm interested to hear from anybody who knows the commute/area/anybody who is also looking there. people at law day mostly recommended downtown apartments to me, but the $1800/month studio rents are less than attractive to someone coming from a MUCH lower cost of living.
Orientation starts Aug 16 I believe. I put my deposit in last week :D I am looking to live in Silverlake, Santa Monica, or beach cities. Silverlake is the easiest commute but of course everything is based on traffic. I'd say 20 from Silverlake, 30-40 from the others. Let me know if you find any good spots :)

guacamolation

New

Post by guacamolation » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:34 pm

NerdmoD wrote:Anyone else taking the commuter train in from down south to Union Station? I'm going to be coming in from Irvine starting next year, and wanted to see if I'll have any train buddies... :D
I'll be going up Mondays and down Fridays. I tried it this Friday and it was amazingly convenient.

Also, for those of you looking at Culver City, keep the Expo Line location in mind. It's supposed to be up and running by the fall.

--LinkRemoved--

NerdmoD

New

Post by NerdmoD » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:54 pm

guacamolation wrote:
NerdmoD wrote:Anyone else taking the commuter train in from down south to Union Station? I'm going to be coming in from Irvine starting next year, and wanted to see if I'll have any train buddies... :D
I'll be going up Mondays and down Fridays. I tried it this Friday and it was amazingly convenient.

Also, for those of you looking at Culver City, keep the Expo Line location in mind. It's supposed to be up and running by the fall.

--LinkRemoved--
Ya, my wife did it for a semester her senior year of undergrad at USC, and thought it was great. I will keep an eye out for you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mroberts3

Bronze

Post by Mroberts3 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:01 pm

I've definitely been keeping my eye on the expo line. I wonder if it will be done on time...

guacamolation

New

Post by guacamolation » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:29 pm

Mroberts3 wrote:I've definitely been keeping my eye on the expo line. I wonder if it will be done on time...
a friend in the mayor's office says not to bank on it for first semester; more likely for the spring semester. BUT I think they really want it up & running for football season so maybe its closer to being ready than it looks. I really dont want to have to deal with parking, so i'm hoping...

NerdmoD

New

Post by NerdmoD » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:02 pm

Anyone else still waiting on your fin aid statement? I know the first scholarship deadline passed on the 15th, and that they are recalculating their available funds...do those offers arrive before the 1st of May (the deposit deadline)?

guacamolation

New

Post by guacamolation » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:11 am

NerdmoD wrote:Anyone else still waiting on your fin aid statement? I know the first scholarship deadline passed on the 15th, and that they are recalculating their available funds...do those offers arrive before the 1st of May (the deposit deadline)?
from an email I got from the FA office:

"As of April 15, which was the deadline we had given scholarship recipients to reserve their scholarship award, we have found that our scholarship offers have been accepted at a much higher level than we typically see at this time of year. Although this news is very promising in terms of the strength of USC Law's entering class this fall, it is unfortunate for you since it means that we are not comfortable offering additional scholarship funds at this time. Therefore, we have no other option than to defer making a final decision on your scholarship appeal until after our first deposit deadline of May 1. After that date we will have a much clearer picture of the definite plans of our current scholarship recipients."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NerdmoD

New

Post by NerdmoD » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:10 pm

guacamolation wrote:
NerdmoD wrote:Anyone else still waiting on your fin aid statement? I know the first scholarship deadline passed on the 15th, and that they are recalculating their available funds...do those offers arrive before the 1st of May (the deposit deadline)?

"As of April 15, which was the deadline we had given scholarship recipients to reserve their scholarship award, we have found that our scholarship offers have been accepted at a much higher level than we typically see at this time of year. Although this news is very promising in terms of the strength of USC Law's entering class this fall, it is unfortunate for you since it means that we are not comfortable offering additional scholarship funds at this time. Therefore, we have no other option than to defer making a final decision on your scholarship appeal until after our first deposit deadline of May 1. After that date we will have a much clearer picture of the definite plans of our current scholarship recipients."
Bad news bears. When did you get that email?

lebob

New

Post by lebob » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:05 pm

random question,
i know a 500$ seat deposit is due by may 1st,
but i can't find where/how you pay it?

just mail a check to the law school?

guacamolation

New

Post by guacamolation » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:21 pm

NerdmoD wrote:
guacamolation wrote:

tuesday

Mroberts3

Bronze

Post by Mroberts3 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:21 pm

got to the admitted students link (there was an email), log in and in the middle halfway down will be a link to pay your deposit online.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NerdmoD

New

Post by NerdmoD » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:36 pm

guacamolation wrote:
NerdmoD wrote:
guacamolation wrote:

tuesday
Just read more carefully...so this was not their initial offer to you? Also, if you don't mind me asking, stats? Just trying to weigh in on my situation...

guacamolation

New

Post by guacamolation » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:37 pm

"As of April 15, which was the deadline we had given scholarship recipients to reserve their scholarship award, we have found that our scholarship offers have been accepted at a much higher level than we typically see at this time of year. Although this news is very promising in terms of the strength of USC Law's entering class this fall, it is unfortunate for you since it means that we are not comfortable offering additional scholarship funds at this time. Therefore, we have no other option than to defer making a final decision on your scholarship appeal until after our first deposit deadline of May 1. After that date we will have a much clearer picture of the definite plans of our current scholarship recipients."[/quote]

Bad news bears. When did you get that email?[/quote]

tuesday[/quote]

Just read more carefully...so this was not their initial offer to you? Also, if you don't mind me asking, stats? Just trying to weigh in on my situation...[/quote]

my financial status changed after I had submitted the paperwork, so when I updated I asked if more might be available 2L/3L (answer: no, what you are offered on acceptance is it for the whole program) and, yes, I was already offered some scholarship money. your stats are better than mine! but I'm non-trad, some unusual softs. you can pm me for more info if you want the sordid details.

NerdmoD

New

Post by NerdmoD » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:02 pm

Anyone know anything about the first-year fellowship offers that are mentioned on SC's website? Were they already offered, or are they offered later (IE after the deposit deadlines)? If they are not yet offered, are they based on your first year grades, or your admission information?

Mroberts3

Bronze

Post by Mroberts3 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:06 pm

NerdmoD wrote:Anyone know anything about the first-year fellowship offers that are mentioned on SC's website? Were they already offered, or are they offered later (IE after the deposit deadlines)? If they are not yet offered, are they based on your first year grades, or your admission information?
There were a couple other threads about this that all came up blank. Nobody I know of knows anything about them. I was at Law Day and meant to ask about them but forgot. I imagine they come out before first year grades. The website made it sound like it was part of an admissions offer, but whether they've been awarded yet, I don't know.
Last edited by Mroberts3 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NerdmoD

New

Post by NerdmoD » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:18 pm

Mroberts3 wrote:
NerdmoD wrote:Anyone know anything about the first-year fellowship offers that are mentioned on SC's website? Were they already offered, or are they offered later (IE after the deposit deadlines)? If they are not yet offered, are they based on your first year grades, or your admission information?
There were a couple other threads about this that all came up blank. Nobody I know of knows anything about them. I was at Law Day and meant to ask about them but forgot. I imagine they com out before first year grades. The website made it sound like it was part of an admissions offer, but whether they've been awarded yet, I don't know.
Hm, interesting.

I just dropped a line to Julia to see if I can get any information from her. I'll keep everyone posted if I hear anything back!

papercranes

New

Post by papercranes » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:15 pm

Mroberts3 wrote:
There were a couple other threads about this that all came up blank. Nobody I know of knows anything about them. I was at Law Day and meant to ask about them but forgot. I imagine they com out before first year grades. The website made it sound like it was part of an admissions offer, but whether they've been awarded yet, I don't know.

The fellowships are awarded before school starts. Not sure when exactly but they have nothing to do with 1L grades.

NerdmoD

New

Post by NerdmoD » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:39 am

NerdmoD wrote: Hm, interesting.

I just dropped a line to Julia to see if I can get any information from her. I'll keep everyone posted if I hear anything back!
On a similar note (yes, I quoted myself), has anyone else had limited success hearing back from Julia? I've sent her several emails over the past two weeks, and have not heard anything back. I'm sure they are very busy at the moment, but since the admit packet gives her as the main contact for questions, and the deposit deadline is coming up, I'd really like to get a bit more info from somebody over there. Anyone have better success than me? Is there someone (less busy) in the adcom office I should be contacting?

smacroon

New

Post by smacroon » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:22 pm

NerdmoD wrote:
NerdmoD wrote: Hm, interesting.

On a similar note (yes, I quoted myself), has anyone else had limited success hearing back from Julia? I've sent her several emails over the past two weeks, and have not heard anything back. I'm sure they are very busy at the moment, but since the admit packet gives her as the main contact for questions, and the deposit deadline is coming up, I'd really like to get a bit more info from somebody over there. Anyone have better success than me? Is there someone (less busy) in the adcom office I should be contacting?
I have had the same issue. I ended up emailing a professor with program questions and also contacting career services with another inquiry and they were both very helpful. I also called the admissions office with other questions. If one of the students answers in the admissions office they are very helpful and will try to find answers for you. :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BrownBetty

New

Post by BrownBetty » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:07 am

Hi everyone! Just thought I'd introduce myself and say hello, now that I've made it official with my seat deposit. Also, hoping that someone else will want to join the Facebook group since it's looking a little pathetic with only a couple members :(

Additionally, hoping to find someone who wants a roomie... looking to live close-ish to school. Not too far, but it doesn't have to be in the immediate area surrounding campus. Heard great things about the Silverlake area.

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:51 pm

11 members really is pathetic- let's all join

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 2189807..1

Stupendous_Man

Bronze

Post by Stupendous_Man » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:21 pm

SanBun wrote:11 members really is pathetic- let's all join

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 2189807..1

Just joined. Stoked to see you all in August!

Mroberts3

Bronze

Post by Mroberts3 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:24 pm

Bump!

The thread rises from the grave....

But seriously, I really hope I get a parking spot through the lottery system otherwise I'm screwed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”