Villanova 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Onion

Bronze

Re: Villanova 2013

Post by Onion » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:21 pm

Titansem wrote:Hey everybody, this is my first time posting on here too (although I've been following along for prob 6 mos. now, haha).

Just wanted to let you know that I went ahead and created a student-run group for the Class of 2013. Here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7 ... 437&ref=ts

It's pretty basic, but it at least gives us a starting point! See ya'll in August, I'll be moving up to Manayunk from Nashville soon. :)
Thanks for making the group!!! Looking forward to meeting everyone in August.

jkh

New

Post by jkh » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:03 pm

Sections C & K here...no class Monday/Tuesday? sick!

tsk070

New

Post by tsk070 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:13 pm

jkh wrote:Sections C & K here...no class Monday/Tuesday? sick!
What?! Lucky you! I have (Section A for everything) 8:15 AM Torts MW and 9 AM Legal Analysis or Research TR. I get to sleep in a bit on Friday with 11 AM Crim Law. At least I'm done by 2:30 everyday, but it looks like I'm going to have to learn to be a morning person!

jkh

New

Post by jkh » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:33 pm

tsk070 wrote:
What?! Lucky you! I have (Section A for everything) 8:15 AM Torts MW and 9 AM Legal Analysis or Research TR. I get to sleep in a bit on Friday with 11 AM Crim Law. At least I'm done by 2:30 everyday, but it looks like I'm going to have to learn to be a morning person!
Whoops--I was looking at my schedule for the first week, which we don't have class on Monday or Tuesday. I actually do have class Mon/Tues...I knew it was too good to be true :(

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:34 pm

Edit: you noticed the issue before I posted it. That said there is nothing wrong with 11am being our earliest class and 3:50 our latest. (mind you my LW section is J so yours may be slightly different)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:16 pm

Love the looks of my schedule. Monday I have a gap from 10:30 - 2:40 and Friday I only have class from 11:00-12:10. At most two classes a day, beside Wednesday when I have 3.

Onion

Bronze

Post by Onion » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:22 pm

MikeyP... Could you enlighten us as to the probability of our sections being changed or is the pretty much set in stone?

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:06 am

Onion wrote:MikeyP... Could you enlighten us as to the probability of our sections being changed or is the pretty much set in stone?
probability of it being changed is slim to none. i never heard of anyone from my class having their changed. you all should be good to go!

tsk070

New

Post by tsk070 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:16 am

mikeyp wrote:
Onion wrote:MikeyP... Could you enlighten us as to the probability of our sections being changed or is the pretty much set in stone?
probability of it being changed is slim to none. i never heard of anyone from my class having their changed. you all should be good to go!
Since that's the case, what about textbooks? I know they tell you to wait until orientation to buy books in case the schedule changes, but since that sounds unlikely, when and how will we know what books we need for each class? I'd like to get as much a head-start as possible so I can save some money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:06 am

tsk070 wrote:
mikeyp wrote:
Since that's the case, what about textbooks? I know they tell you to wait until orientation to buy books in case the schedule changes, but since that sounds unlikely, when and how will we know what books we need for each class? I'd like to get as much a head-start as possible so I can save some money.
the textbook list is here: http://www.law.villanova.edu/Current%20 ... books.aspx i haven't gone through it and i know they continually update it, so its probably not complete. but it will give you an idea.

i always get my books at http://www.lawbooksforless.com because they're slightly cheaper and they offer free next day delivery. literally, i ordered it in the morning, and got them the next day. its pretty sweet. sometimes, albeit rarely, they may not have a book that you need. in that case i just go to the book store. i bought some books used online, but i won't do that again because i want to be able to write my own notes in the margins.

there's a lot of avenues to get books, but it all depends on your personal preferences. i get them new because even though you save money getting them used, i'm already spending a buttload of money on school, so what's an extra hundred or so?

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:44 am

mikeyp wrote:
tsk070 wrote:
mikeyp wrote:
the textbook list is here: http://www.law.villanova.edu/Current%20 ... books.aspx i haven't gone through it and i know they continually update it, so its probably not complete. but it will give you an idea.

i always get my books at http://www.lawbooksforless.com because they're slightly cheaper and they offer free next day delivery. literally, i ordered it in the morning, and got them the next day. its pretty sweet. sometimes, albeit rarely, they may not have a book that you need. in that case i just go to the book store. i bought some books used online, but i won't do that again because i want to be able to write my own notes in the margins.

there's a lot of avenues to get books, but it all depends on your personal preferences. i get them new because even though you save money getting them used, i'm already spending a buttload of money on school, so what's an extra hundred or so?
Thanks for the info

Onion

Bronze

Post by Onion » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:00 am

mikeyp wrote:
tsk070 wrote:
mikeyp wrote:

I know it's kinda early for this, but supplement recommendations? I would rather just order everything at once if possible. Thanks for all the info!

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:08 am

Onion wrote:I know it's kinda early for this, but supplement recommendations? I would rather just order everything at once if possible. Thanks for all the info!
Don't get the supplements they recommend right away. Supplements are never talked about in class, so you aren't missing anything if you don't get them. I definitely think everyone should get a supplement, but there are a ton of different types. You should look at all the different types of supplements and then get what you feel most comfortable with. Examples are hornbooks, Examples and Explanations, Emmanuel's, Concise Hornbooks, etc.

Certain supplements are better depending on the topic. For example, the Civil Procedure E&E is worth its weight in gold. The Torts and Criminal Law E&Es were worthless. The Concise Hornbook was great for Contracts, decent for Criminal Procedure, and worthless for Property. For Property I should have gotten a regular hornbook.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:55 pm

Taking out 138,000$ in loans... scary. Holy crap, that's a lot of money.

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:42 pm

beach_terror wrote:Taking out 138,000$ in loans... scary. Holy crap, that's a lot of money.
Ouch, that does hurt.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:21 pm

I'd be more nervous if I hadn't talked to a bunch of students who currently pay sticker and are currently in the top 15 to 5% of the class. I'm also lucky enough to be able to live at home after law school, so I can put 90%+ of my paycheck directly into paying back my loans until I make a sizable dent in them or pay it all off. I'm figuring 2-3 years at home should be plenty (hopefully). It's a lot of money, but I feel like it's manageable. I think Villanova is one of the few T2's that sticker can be justified. Especially if you're deadset on working in the Illadelph.

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:13 am

beach_terror wrote:I'd be more nervous if I hadn't talked to a bunch of students who currently pay sticker and are currently in the top 15 to 5% of the class. I'm also lucky enough to be able to live at home after law school, so I can put 90%+ of my paycheck directly into paying back my loans until I make a sizable dent in them or pay it all off. I'm figuring 2-3 years at home should be plenty (hopefully). It's a lot of money, but I feel like it's manageable. I think Villanova is one of the few T2's that sticker can be justified. Especially if you're deadset on working in the Illadelph.
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:20 pm

Holy crap, Villanova's IT team must be on speed. Why is everything so counter-intuitive with their website. I feel like I need to start a notepad file to keep track of the different username/password combos and the different areas of the site dedicated to doing different yet similar things.

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:12 pm

beach_terror wrote:Holy crap, Villanova's IT team must be on speed. Why is everything so counter-intuitive with their website. I feel like I need to start a notepad file to keep track of the different username/password combos and the different areas of the site dedicated to doing different yet similar things.
you'll only end up needing the one for novasis and @law email address

talkingcreds

New

Post by talkingcreds » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:52 pm

I'm very excited to join all of you for the class of 2013!

Now to figure out where to live, how much things will cost, and moving all my shit from Nebraska and Cincinnati to the Philly area. Sheesh, this will be a hectic month!

Looking forward to meeting all of you.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:10 am

If you want, PM me and we can exchange facebooks. A few of us have done this, that way we'll already know a few faces at orientation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BW1234

New

Post by BW1234 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:14 am

I am a rising 2L, and must break my lease.

The apartment is a great, very reasonably priced one bedroom in a doorman building, roughly 1 mile from the Law School. Before contacting my landlord I want to be able to assure her she can find a replacement tenant as soon as possible.

If you are currently looking for housing in the area, and are interested in discussing this further, please message me.

Thank you, and congrats to everyone on getting in to 'Nova!

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:00 am

lawbreaker wrote:Hey Mikeyp, do you know when we can expect to receive our loan refunds? Thanks!
you usually get them within a few days of the first day of class

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 pm

so, it may sound lame, but I am starting to get nervous, feeling like I need to get my books now, that I am not doing near enough to get ready, that I may fall asleep during my early class, haha but who else is getting excited? :D

talkingcreds

New

Post by talkingcreds » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:03 am

Just logged on to Novasis for the first time, got my schedule. Starting to become real. But I'm anxious for it to begin, in a good way.

looks like i'm section A for Civ and Crim, A1 for Torts, and B for Leg. Re. and Leg. An.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”