(No longer accepting applicants at the moment.) Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Tangerine Gleam

Silver

(No longer accepting applicants at the moment.)

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:56 pm

At this time, TLS is no longer accepting applications for part-time interns. Keep on the lookout for more posts this year about opportunities on Top-Law-Schools.com!

Dear TLS Members,

Happy new year!

With much expansion and improvement on the horizon, 2010 will be a big year for Top Law Schools. Looking ahead, Ken would like to call on the wisdom and expertise of the TLS forum community to help take this site to the next level.

TLS is looking for a team of knowledgeable, creative, and hard-working interns which will work on creating new content, aggregating data, and completing various other tasks. Most significant, though, is the need for new and improved content -- so strong writing and editing skills are a must! As TLS' expansion will continue to encompass all realms of legal education and employment, any qualified TLS members (0L's and beyond) are encouraged to apply.

The position will pay $15/hour for those in law school and $12/hour for 0L's.

Qualifications

- Attending or applying to law school
- Availability to work 10-20 hours per week
- Strong writing skills

Familiarity with TLS and extended experience on the TLS Forum is a plus, but not a requirement. Please make sure to mention your TLS user name in your application.

Any interested parties should submit a resume and cover letter to toplawschools2010@gmail.com. Also, please provide your LSAT score, LSDAS GPA, and a writing sample -- either your personal statement or another piece of your choosing.

Current LS applicants are encouraged (but not required) to include a list of acceptances thus far (if applicable).

Thanks in advance to all who apply!

- Tangerine Gleam

Helmholtz

Gold

Re: TLS seeks part-time interns - $12-$15/hr

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:57 pm

in before elitism charges

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:58 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote: Current LS applicants are encouraged to include a list of acceptances thus far (if applicable).
Why?

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:00 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote: Current LS applicants are encouraged to include a list of acceptances thus far (if applicable).
Why?
let's be honest: nobody wants to take advice from someone who can only get into tier 4.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:02 pm

Helmholtz wrote:ina few seconds before elitism charges
Pearalegal wrote:Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Current LS applicants are encouraged to include a list of acceptances thus far (if applicable).

Why?
Just barely made it!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:04 pm

Renzo wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Current LS applicants are encouraged to include a list of acceptances thus far (if applicable).

Why?
Just barely made it!
I was pretty irritated when I saw that he had gotten in just before I posted. Decided to click submit anyways.

Fixed your quotes, by the way.

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:04 pm

All of those requirements for 12-15$/hr :?

One would think that there was some kind of scholarship involved. Meh

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:07 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:Tangerine Gleam wrote:

Why?
Just barely made it!
I was pretty irritated when I saw that he had gotten in just before I posted. Decided to click submit anyways.

Fixed your quotes, by the way.
Maybe you could just follow me around this board and do that for me. If there's more than one quote I am, frankly, often too lazy to get it right.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:08 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Why?
The primary reason Ken is recruiting interns is so that TLS can amass more quality content. Amongst other subjects, there will be articles on application strategies.

While listing acceptances is not a requirement (just "encouraged"), it could help us call on those who might have some school-specific insight or advice to share.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:09 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Why?
The primary reason Ken is recruiting interns is so that TLS can amass more quality content. Amongst other subjects, there will be articles on application strategies.

While listing acceptances is not a requirement (just "encouraged"), it could help us call on those who might have some school-specific insight or advice to share.
What if an applicant is choosing to only apply to lower ranked schools because of family or money concerns? Would that person need to write some sort of addendum?

Also, please define "top" law schools, as thats a requirement to apply. T14? T20? T50? Where is the cut off?
Last edited by Pearalegal on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:10 pm

rw2264 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Why?
let's be honest: nobody wants to take advice from someone who can only get into tier 4.
Precisely.

dwoolsto

New

Post by dwoolsto » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:10 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Why?

Last edited by dwoolsto on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:11 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Why?

What if an applicant is choosing to only apply to lower ranked schools because of family or money concerns? Would that person need to write some sort of addendum?

Also, please define "top" law schools. T14? T20? T50? Where is the cut off?
I have a hard time sincerely believing that you really don't understand why they would want to know about a person's acceptances.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:12 pm

dresden doll wrote: I have a hard time sincerely believing that you really don't understand why they would want to know about a person's acceptances.
I'm sorry you're having such a rough time.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:13 pm

There is no cut-off. The term "top law schools" is intentionally amorphous. Anyone who feels they are qualified should apply.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:14 pm

@Pearalegal: I corrected the post to clarify that furnishing a list of acceptances is not required. Thank you!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:16 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:@Pearalegal: I corrected the post to clarify that furnishing a list of acceptances is not required. Thank you!
I knew it wasn't required. I was more confused about specifically mentioning applying to "top" law schools as a requirement without defining the term.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:16 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
dresden doll wrote: I have a hard time sincerely believing that you really don't understand why they would want to know about a person's acceptances.
Oh, I bet I'm more sorry you're having such a rough time comprehending a rather simple rationale.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:19 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Oh, I bet I'm more sorry you're having such a rough time comprehending a rather simple rationale.
I completely understand using the schools that an applicant has been accepted to as part determining the writing skills of a prospective intern. However, there are other reasons why people attend lower ranked schools than "cuzz I caint read dem words no good"--and I was honestly asking about what impact that would have.

As applying to "top" schools is a requirement, what about a T3 kid who needs to take a full ride for personal reasons? Again, addendum? Seems stupid.

Provide a writing sample, or have applicants edit some random essay.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:24 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
I completely understand using the schools that an applicant has been accepted to as part determining the writing skills of a prospective intern. However, there are other reasons why people attend lower ranked schools than "cuzz I caint read dem words no good"--and I was honestly asking about what impact that would have.

As applying to "top" schools is a requirement, what about a T3 kid who needs to take a full ride for personal reasons? Again, addendum? Seems stupid.

But this isn't "prudent-choice-law-schools." The site is marketed at people seeking admission/attending "top" law schools, not people who chose, even for good reasons, not to.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:26 pm

Renzo wrote: But this isn't "prudent-choice-law-schools." The site is marketed at people seeking admission/attending "top" law schools, not people who chose, even for good reasons, not to.
If they have made a prudent choice, that person probably understands the application process as well as anyone else through research. And the duties described don't seem to really warrant such an exclusion.

More than anything...it just irks me that an ambiguous term is used as a requirement to apply.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:31 pm

Pearalegal wrote: I completely understand using the schools that an applicant has been accepted to as part determining the writing skills of a prospective intern. However, there are other reasons why people attend lower ranked schools than "cuzz I caint read dem words no good"--and I was honestly asking about what impact that would have.

It's not about discriminating against T3 kids that take full rides for personal reasons. I can off hand think of three posters that went through the app cycle at the same time I did with decent, but not compelling numbers (i.e. numbers hovering around the 25th percentile LSAT wise and somewhat above median in terms of GPA). The acceptances they scored at certain schools plainly indicated they had put a fantastic app package together. (Just to note, none of them is a URM). If those posters applied for the position and submitted their numbers along with their acceptances, it'd be damn clear that they were capable of putting together compelling PSs. In fact, if I could go back in time, I'd have had all three of them review my PS before I submitted it to Berkeley - I think it may have made the difference.

The competent kid that goes to a T3 for the full ride would likely have gotten in absent a compelling PS. I don't object to submitting writing samples as a way of proving competence but I imagine that a comparison of numbers with acceptances gained would give the team a pretty fair and reasonable idea of who can write. Somewhat modest numbers coupled with compelling acceptances strongly imply that the person did a damn good job putting that app together. And there's no disagreeing with results either, the way there may be when multiple people are judging writing samples.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:36 pm

dresden doll wrote: If those posters applied for the position and submitted their numbers along with their acceptances, it'd be damn clear that they were capable of putting together compelling PSs.
I actually completely agree with this but...still, a requirement to apply is to be an intern is to be attending/applying to top schools.
Tangerine Gleam wrote: Qualifications
- Attending or applying to top law schools
Last edited by Pearalegal on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:39 pm

> 35 posts/day should be a requirement imo

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:40 pm

If these criteria help select people who will add better content then I am all for it. I can buy the argument that they would want people attending certain schools or that have demonstrated admissions success to give advice on the admissions process. But If admissions (and thus GPA/LSAT) is used by Ken and Co. as a proxy for who will be a great content producer generally, then I think they will be disappointed in their results. I know enough "top" law student admits to know that a great many of them suck out loud.

However, I have faith in Ken et al who run the site to select the people best suited to the job. I don't think that Ken would give up a shot at hiring a stellar content writer on the basis of their LSAT score. That's not good business and looking at Ken's real estate track record, it seems he's got a pretty good handle on how to run a business really successfully.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”