Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013) Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
calicocat

Silver

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Post by calicocat » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:27 pm

como wrote:
calicocat wrote:
como wrote:
night06 wrote:So what does it mean if you're not invited? Cornell doesn't love you?
You're straight and white.
What days will you be in the city?
8/10-8/13
Stay longer.

como

Silver

Post by como » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:27 pm

legallybrunette16 wrote:does anyone else think that only inviting minorities and LGBT students to a program that teaches you how to brief a case and prepares you for the Socratic method is a bit insulting? why do they assume we need the extra help, while white/straight students don't?
I believe it's actually not run "officially" by CLS but it is a program that got started a few years ago as a sort of "joint venture" of various CLS identity groups. Now it's just kind of a tradition. I wouldn't take too much issue with it either way. If you feel insulted, don't go. If you feel as though you're not included, just show up. I'm sure they would welcome you.

como

Silver

Post by como » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:28 pm

calicocat wrote:
como wrote:
calicocat wrote: What days will you be in the city?
8/10-8/13
Stay longer.
I'll prob be in Miami after.

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:29 pm

como wrote:
calicocat wrote:
como wrote:
calicocat wrote: What days will you be in the city?
8/10-8/13
Stay longer.
I'll prob be in Miami after.
You suck.

como

Silver

Post by como » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:31 pm

Ouch. Gonna chill with my girl. There's probably a good chance the rest of my crew will be around the city for awhile longer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:32 pm

como wrote:Ouch. Gonna chill with my girl. There's probably a good chance the rest of my crew will be around the city for awhile longer.
Fine, I like them better anyway ;)

Will fb more important people than you, hth.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:44 pm

como wrote:
legallybrunette16 wrote:does anyone else think that only inviting minorities and LGBT students to a program that teaches you how to brief a case and prepares you for the Socratic method is a bit insulting? why do they assume we need the extra help, while white/straight students don't?
I believe it's actually not run "officially" by CLS but it is a program that got started a few years ago as a sort of "joint venture" of various CLS identity groups. Now it's just kind of a tradition. I wouldn't take too much issue with it either way. If you feel insulted, don't go. If you feel as though you're not included, just show up. I'm sure they would welcome you.
Please don't just show up, it's really rude. If you feel left out, just send someone an email, but honestly, AOP really doesn't teach anything, it mostly just scares you to death so you feel better about real LS when it starts and lets you meet other people who are also minorities, etc. so you have some folks to hang out with when you feel left out and lonely.

Nothing you can learn in a week is going to give you an advantage in 1L, so you really shouldn't worry about it.

If you want to come early and hang out, there will be plenty of people here. TLS and FB are great for organizing meet ups.

fkaKingsCollege

New

Post by fkaKingsCollege » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:17 pm

Not all minorities receive an invite.

spaacecdt

New

Post by spaacecdt » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:12 pm

fkaKingsCollege wrote:Not all minorities receive an invite.
+1

No invite here. I consider myself to be a minority.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:28 am

spaacecdt wrote:
+1

now you are a minority amongst minorities. talk about discrete and insular.

LAW SCHOOL JOKE #1 FOR ALL YOU JIVE TURKEYS.

mec30

Bronze

Post by mec30 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:17 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
spaacecdt wrote:
+1

now you are a minority amongst minorities. talk about discrete and insular.

LAW SCHOOL JOKE #1 FOR ALL YOU JIVE TURKEYS.
Unconscionably strict scrutiny?

holybartender

Bronze

Post by holybartender » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:06 pm

Got an email from Cornell earlier...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Lewd exposure incidents reported on campus

Cornell University Police is investigating a series of incidents on campus over the past two weeks involving male subjects reportedly exposing themselves to females.

The first incident took place July 3 at approximately 12:15 p.m. A female reported that she observed a man exposing himself in a lewd manner near the stone bridge on Beebe Lake. The suspect was described as a middle-aged, white male with a stocky build.

The second reported incident occurred July 9 at approximately 3:30 p.m. when a male subject in a car pulled up to a female who was walking on campus and exposed himself. The subject called the female over to the vehicle and exposed himself. The subject was described as a tall, dark-skinned, white male, in his 20s to 30s. The car was described as an older, four-door vehicle, light in color.

The most recent incident occurred Tuesday, July 13, at approximately 4 p.m. in the Beebe Lake area. A male subject was observed exposing himself and acting in a lewd manner. The subject was described as a dark-skinned, heavy-set Hispanic or black male in his 20s to early 30s.
Ivy League!!!!!!

Big Tuna

Bronze

Post by Big Tuna » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:07 pm

holybartender wrote:Got an email from Cornell earlier...

Cornell University Police is investigating a series of incidents on campus over the past two weeks involving male subjects reportedly exposing themselves to females.

The first incident took place July 3 at approximately 12:15 p.m. A female reported that she observed a man exposing himself in a lewd manner near the stone bridge on Beebe Lake. The suspect was described as a middle-aged, white male with a stocky build.

The second reported incident occurred July 9 at approximately 3:30 p.m. when a male subject in a car pulled up to a female who was walking on campus and exposed himself. The subject called the female over to the vehicle and exposed himself. The subject was described as a tall, dark-skinned, white male, in his 20s to 30s. The car was described as an older, four-door vehicle, light in color.

The most recent incident occurred Tuesday, July 13, at approximately 4 p.m. in the Beebe Lake area. A male subject was observed exposing himself and acting in a lewd manner. The subject was described as a dark-skinned, heavy-set Hispanic or black male in his 20s to early 30s.
Ivy League!!!!!!
:shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

legallybrunette16

Bronze

Post by legallybrunette16 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:19 pm

my personal favorite "lewd act" was when the guy asked the girl to his car and THEN showed his junk. hahahaha wow. If that's the worst crime we'll encounter in the arctic tundra, then I'm feeling pretty good.

legallybrunette16

Bronze

Post by legallybrunette16 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Did anyone apply to the MCCA Lloyd M. Johnson Scholarship for $30,000??? We hear the finalist tomorrow!

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:05 pm

Big Tuna wrote:
holybartender wrote:Got an email from Cornell earlier...

Ivy League!!!!!!
:shock:
i heard it wasn't eyes-as-wide-as-saucers big.

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:08 pm

Exactly how much do you know about the incident, l/t/m/c?
:wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

como

Silver

Post by como » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:22 pm

calicocat wrote:Exactly how much do you know about the incident, l/t/m/c?
Cause we all know l/t/e/c is a stocky guy.

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:25 pm

como wrote:
calicocat wrote:Exactly how much do you know about the incident, l/t/m/c?
Cause we all know l/t/e/c is a stocky guy.
:lol:

turkishangora

Bronze

Post by turkishangora » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:01 pm

how come my $700 deposit only gives me a $650 credit on my bill??

mec30

Bronze

Post by mec30 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:16 am

turkishangora wrote:how come my $700 deposit only gives me a $650 credit on my bill??
That's the administration's NOYGDB tax.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

spaacecdt

New

Post by spaacecdt » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:48 am

Anyone know anything about Ithaca Car Share (--LinkRemoved--)? Can we initiate the application or do we wait for Cornell to tell us to initiate?

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:50 am

The uhaul is loaded up and first thing in the morning, I'm starting the 2,700 mile drive to Ithaca! Anyone else moving super early? (Technically, I'm just moving the furniture in and getting set up, then spending most of August back in CA)

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:44 am

jks289 wrote:The uhaul is loaded up and first thing in the morning, I'm starting the 2,700 mile drive to Ithaca! Anyone else moving super early? (Technically, I'm just moving the furniture in and getting set up, then spending most of August back in CA)
Yeesh, 2,700 miles? You're a trooper. Mine's 1,250.

paraducks

New

Post by paraducks » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:00 am

como wrote:

the academic orientation program is an "official" cls program, funded in full by the school, and run by faculty members as well as representatives from various student diversity groups.

as you will learn from almost any former participant (myself included), aop really doesn't provide participants with any academic advantage over non-participants. rather, aop was first created to establish a welcoming environment for minority students in what might otherwise have felt like a rather unwelcoming environment.

historically, the minorities represented at aop have been underrepresented at law schools across the country, and especially at schools like cornell. while it might seem a little strange now, imagine being one of only 2 or 3 african american students among a sea of wasps in the 1980's. aop aims to reduce feelings of isolation, by connecting minority students, and also to reduce feelings of being an "outsider," by allowing those students to arrive on campus and get settled in first.

in short, aop's goal is to lessen any psychological burden that often comes with being a minority student in higher education. the fact that, as a minority, you might not feel that burden is perhaps a testament to the effectiveness of such programs.

so, to participants who are insulted for being included, know that the law school does not think that you're stupid and need an academic "boost"; and to non-participants who feel that minority students are receiving an unfair advantage, consider that, on top of the general anxiety of starting law school that you'll feel, many aop participants will also face anxieties and insecurities to which, fortunately for you, you probably have never and will never relate.

hope that clears things up!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”