OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
conn09

Silver

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by conn09 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:30 pm

I had no clue about all these rules for suit buying and how to wear them. Is there a website to read all these rules?

Fac Ut Gaudeam

New

Post by Fac Ut Gaudeam » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:45 pm

betasteve wrote:There may be some books available. Websites are hit and miss, and on top of that differ on classic vs. contemporary, so you can really get turned around. Just do google searches for sartorial tips or something along those lines, how to buy a suit, etc...

As an aside: I am very excited about braces making a comeback! Gonna have to pick up a pair. At least 3 of my suit trousers already have buttons.
I would only wear braces in a very formal setting, that's just me. If I'm wearing a slim, modern suit, I sometimes don't even bother with a belt if I can get away with it.

jrs12

New

Post by jrs12 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:05 am

I've been wearing braces for years. I never really thought of it as a daring choice (if the jacket's on, nobody sees them; if it's off, then you're in casual mode). They're just so much more comfortable than belts.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:49 am

Dick Whitman wrote:
I'm a fan of the Brooks Brothers suits (along with most of the rest of their clothes). Get on the mailing list, and wait until they offer a two for one sale, then pick up a charcoal gray and a navy.
TITCR

Brooks Brothers two for one sales are absolutely the best deal out there (on suits).

Tave

New

Post by Tave » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:03 am

Does anyone else call "braces" "suspenders?"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

danconstan

New

Post by danconstan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:07 am

Your first suit should be navy blue. Your second should be dark grey. They are the most versatile. Thin pinstripes give a more "powerfull" appearance. Don't get thick bold pinstripes until you have the confidence and attitude to go along.

Spor

New

Post by Spor » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:17 am

I went and tried some suits on at Men's Warehouse tonight. It's true that finding flat front suits is a bit difficult. I managed to find a charcoal, flat-front, 2-button, side-vented suit that I really liked. It was Calvin Klein, roughly 400, and buy one get one free. I was planning to spend 4-5 hundred on one suit, the free suit was a bonus. Any thoughts on CK suits? Keep in mind I'm trying to keep it cheap, but obviously not crap. If it lasts through law school and doesn't look visibly cheap to others, I will be happy with it.

I also tried on a single and double pleated pant. I didn't mind the single pleat, but the double pleated looked pretty silly on me. I'm short and thin.

Is the vented / ventless an issue of comfort or style? They had a lot of non-vented suits that I otherwise liked. GQ says "ventless is just plain wrong, and says you think it’s still 1986." I am aware it isn't 1986 and would hate for my appearance to say otherwise. Not to mention disobeying GQ, I wouldn't dare. If ventless jackets are such a fashion faux-paux then why does Men's Warehouse have so many of them? Like tons.

Time is an issue, I need the suite by the weekend of the 20th. Also, I live in Utah, so a lot of great stores don't exist here. But if you happen to know of a store I should visit that has a Salt Lake area location, do let me know.

You've all been very helpful, thank you.

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:20 am

Last edited by youpiiz on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

h_frog_88

New

Post by h_frog_88 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:03 am

youpiiz wrote:
Tave wrote:Does anyone else call "braces" "suspenders?"
me
Until tonight I had never heard the term braces

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:06 am

Spor wrote:I went and tried some suits on at Men's Warehouse tonight. It's true that finding flat front suits is a bit difficult. I managed to find a charcoal, flat-front, 2-button, side-vented suit that I really liked. It was Calvin Klein, roughly 400, and buy one get one free. I was planning to spend 4-5 hundred on one suit, the free suit was a bonus. Any thoughts on CK suits? Keep in mind I'm trying to keep it cheap, but obviously not crap. If it lasts through law school and doesn't look visibly cheap to others, I will be happy with it.
This sounds pretty nice! If it fits well on you, then go for it! However, if the fit is off, don't let an in-store tailor convince you he can work a small miracle. He can't. Even a really good tailor can only do so much. (I know you didn't mention the fit being bad, but I'm just pointing this out because, as I short and thin guy myself, I often find suits - particularly American designers' suits - a little too wide-cut on me.) But if the fit is good, go for it!

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:13 am

Suits (Clothing, not law)

It could be both.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson_v._Chung

AbsolutLax

New

Post by AbsolutLax » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:17 am

I actually prefer dark purple. It says, I care about my clients...but I keep my pimp hand strong.

JRR

New

Post by JRR » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:31 am

betasteve wrote:
spondee wrote:
Spor wrote:I've read other places that black is a definite no for any business environment.
Is that true? What's wrong with black?
Black is reserved for evening and mourning.

OP - Stick with grey or navy. Both are equally versatile, and should serve you for some time. 2 or 3 button is a matter of preference. Pleats are a no-go unless you are carrying extra weight, then perhaps.
Pleats are fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JRR

New

Post by JRR » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:41 am

Spor wrote:I went and tried some suits on at Men's Warehouse tonight. It's true that finding flat front suits is a bit difficult. I managed to find a charcoal, flat-front, 2-button, side-vented suit that I really liked. It was Calvin Klein, roughly 400, and buy one get one free. I was planning to spend 4-5 hundred on one suit, the free suit was a bonus. Any thoughts on CK suits? Keep in mind I'm trying to keep it cheap, but obviously not crap. If it lasts through law school and doesn't look visibly cheap to others, I will be happy with it.

I also tried on a single and double pleated pant. I didn't mind the single pleat, but the double pleated looked pretty silly on me. I'm short and thin.

Is the vented / ventless an issue of comfort or style? They had a lot of non-vented suits that I otherwise liked. GQ says "ventless is just plain wrong, and says you think it’s still 1986." I am aware it isn't 1986 and would hate for my appearance to say otherwise. Not to mention disobeying GQ, I wouldn't dare. If ventless jackets are such a fashion faux-paux then why does Men's Warehouse have so many of them? Like tons.

Time is an issue, I need the suite by the weekend of the 20th. Also, I live in Utah, so a lot of great stores don't exist here. But if you happen to know of a store I should visit that has a Salt Lake area location, do let me know.

Try Jos A Bank as well. There's a store in Salt Lake.

http://www.josbank.com/IWCatSectionView ... n_Id=17702

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:43 am

h_frog_88 wrote:
youpiiz wrote:
me
To me, braces are things that middle schoolers have on their teeth

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:45 am

Last edited by youpiiz on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fac Ut Gaudeam

New

Post by Fac Ut Gaudeam » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:46 am

JRR wrote:
betasteve wrote:
spondee wrote:
Spor wrote:I've read other places that black is a definite no for any business environment.
Is that true? What's wrong with black?
Black is reserved for evening and mourning.

OP - Stick with grey or navy. Both are equally versatile, and should serve you for some time. 2 or 3 button is a matter of preference. Pleats are a no-go unless you are carrying extra weight, then perhaps.
Pleats are fine.
For the most part, not really. Flat fronts lend themselves for a cleaner silhouette and just look better on most people. There was a topic on this before and I remember almost all the TLS ladies giving pleats a clear thumbs down. This especially holds true for men under 35 yo.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Fac Ut Gaudeam

New

Post by Fac Ut Gaudeam » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:51 am

pany1985 wrote:
h_frog_88 wrote:
youpiiz wrote:
me
"Braces" is generally the UK term for suspenders and the tailor I go to uses the term, hence me using it now. Suspenders have a somewhat stodgy image in the US and are probably most associated with this guy:
When I think "braces" I think something like this:

stevenr18

New

Post by stevenr18 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:58 am

Fac Ut Gaudeam wrote:
pany1985 wrote:
h_frog_88 wrote:
youpiiz wrote:
me
"Braces" is generally the UK term for suspenders and the tailor I go to uses the term, hence me using it now. Suspenders have a somewhat stodgy image in the US and are probably most associated with this guy:
When I think "braces" I think something like this:
Image[/quote]

^This is true. Courtesy of http://www.suited-to-you.com:
Q: What is the difference between "braces" and "suspenders"?
A: Terminology. The term "braces" originated in England and referred to the bands that go over the shoulders and attach to the trousers. In this country, they are commonly referred to as suspenders. There are those who believe that braces have button tabs which attach to buttons inside the trouser waistband while suspenders clip to the waistband of the trousers.

Not everyone can pull it off. Case in point, Larry King. To be fair, the epic hunch he has doesn't help.

stevenr18

New

Post by stevenr18 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:14 am

The main issue with ventless suits is that, unless you plan on standing - and standing still - all day, you'll find that they're restrictive and that if you sit or feel the need to put your hands in your pockets, the jacket will ride up and wrinkle.

Also, at least these days, ventless jackets tend to be more associated with cheaper materials and shoddier construction. I could be totally wrong on that, but I'd be willing to bet that the ventless suits you saw at Mens Wearhouse weren't CK or any of the higher-end brands. And the reason that they have so many may be that no one is buying them.

The CK suit you described sounds like a good choice, especially given the two-for-one deal. As long as you take care of it, it should last you through law school and beyond. For the record, unless you sweat profusely or spill on your suit, avoid dry cleaning more than twice a year. The chemicals shorten the life span of the suit, especially if you overdo it.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:30 am

Fac Ut Gaudeam wrote:
For the most part, not really. Flat fronts lend themselves for a cleaner silhouette and just look better on most people. There was a topic on this before and I remember almost all the TLS ladies giving pleats a clear thumbs down. This especially holds true for men under 35 yo.
+1. If you're fit and trim, pleats are unecessary. If you're portly, pleats are a necessity. That's my hard-and-fast rule. I belong to the former category.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cbreault

New

Post by cbreault » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:47 am

CupOfJava wrote:So any tips for suits for women? I've never had to wear one for work, and am generally clueless with suit etiquette.

Skirt types? Pencil or A-line? Are pants OK? What about shoes, are flats acceptable?
No undies.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:00 pm

cbreault wrote:
CupOfJava wrote:So any tips for suits for women? I've never had to wear one for work, and am generally clueless with suit etiquette.

Skirt types? Pencil or A-line? Are pants OK? What about shoes, are flats acceptable?
No undies.
Regardless of height, flats are a no-no. Embrace your inner diva! Fierce ladies always rock heels.

D. Professor

New

Post by D. Professor » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:11 pm

I do.... but I am from the South so thats to be expected. 8)

texaslawyer

Bronze

Post by texaslawyer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:27 pm

I agree with most of the posters on this thread. Solid suits will work fine, for an initial interview I'd wear a solid blue suit, white dress shirt, straight cuff conservative blue ti and don't wear cologne. Attorneys won't be taken seriously if they aren't dressed appropriately and attorneys can't afford this. This may fly in the face of many sensibilities, but I've gotten some very nice suits at thrift stores. I got a very nice Ralph Lauren, charcoal 2 button pinstripe for $15, normally a $500 suit, it had never been worn from what I could determine. The pockets were still sewn togather. I also got a nay blue, 2 button Hickey Freeman & Sons suit for about the same. Also, I got a really sharp Brooks Brothers glen plaid on Ebay for $45, normally $700. My pride and joy is a $1000 Givenchy, 3 button for $45 on Ebay. It's a blue herring bone pattern. You can dress to the nines and not spend a fortune. Never, ever wear a brown suit for an interview, especially if the interviewer is Jewish. I think black suits are OK, but I believe a lot of the dos and don'ts depend on what part of the country you're in.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”