. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:07 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: USAO - Time for a Come to Jesus Talk?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:08 pm

Making a threat like the one you describe is really unlikely to be effective in getting you what you want, so don't do it. There could be multiple reasons why the transfer hasn't happened yet. It could be that they don't think you're ready, or that they don't need another person in there at this time. All you can do is make them aware that you want to transfer, which you've already done.

If you're able to do some work in your preferred unit and presumably are getting good, on-your-feet experience in general crimes, is the job really so bad? You obviously know the specifics of your office better than me but it seems like you're still able be an AUSA and do work in the unit you're interested in sometimes. That sounds not so terrible. I'd stay where you are, unless there's some other opportunity available to you (that's more than hypothetical) that you know you'll like better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:08 pm
Making a threat like the one you describe is really unlikely to be effective in getting you what you want, so don't do it. There could be multiple reasons why the transfer hasn't happened yet. It could be that they don't think you're ready, or that they don't need another person in there at this time. All you can do is make them aware that you want to transfer, which you've already done.

If you're able to do some work in your preferred unit and presumably are getting good, on-your-feet experience in general crimes, is the job really so bad? You obviously know the specifics of your office better than me but it seems like you're still able be an AUSA and do work in the unit you're interested in sometimes. That sounds not so terrible. I'd stay where you are, unless there's some other opportunity available to you (that's more than hypothetical) that you know you'll like better.
great advice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:07 pm
Hired directly into a specific unit at a USAO, a year in now as an AUSA and do work in that unit but still assigned to and mostly practicing in the general unit. Tried getting, and was denied, any real guidance on when, if ever, I’ll be moved to what I was hired for (tried from everyone in upper management). Uprooted my whole life for this opportunity and it was never communicated I’d be doing general crimes work full time, let alone FT for a year. Time to tell politely get across to the FAUSA & USA of my office that I need a date on transferring to the unit I was hired for or I’ll need to leave?
You can try this, but you’ll have to be willing to walk. It’s not likely that they’re not giving you this work because they don’t know how you feel, so there’s got to be some reason, and depending on what that reason is, they may not have a lot of options for you.

IME being unwilling to do the bread and butter general crimes that (usually) everyone has to do at least some of isn’t a good look at all, but the bait and switch is odd. It seems most likely to me that they don’t have enough of this work to give you this work exclusively. (It may have been advertised that way due to funding - it’s funded as focusing on a particular area - but since they got funded they need more help in general crimes. Or someone in that unit was going to leave but then didn’t.)

It’s also very common for newbies to have to put in X amount of time officially assigned to general crimes to learn the ropes before they can move into a more specialized unit, although I do think it’s less common to do that if you were hired for a job in the specialized unit.

I have to admit I find this situation baffling, but that’s just me based on my own experience as an AUSA. Is there no one in the office who can explain to you why this is happening - like a long-timer who understands how things work even if they’re not management? Because it seems like either your management are awful or there’s something about this setup that’s so obvious to them that they can’t even articulate what you need to know.

Anyway, you can try what you propose, like I said, you just need to be prepared for it not to work and to be willing to leave. Maybe they’re psychopaths who think you have to demonstrate gumption or whatever before they’ll give in, who knows. But I think you’re probably going to have to leave (or wait for new management, that can result in a lot of changes).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:25 pm

This kind of reminds me of something someone would do on Suits.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”