How do some make in house after graduation? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawschoolsplit2023

New

How do some make in house after graduation?

Post by lawschoolsplit2023 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:26 am

While it’s not very common, you tend to hear of some law school graduates that make in house after law school graduation as opposed to being hired as an associate.

This made me curious, how do some make in house with no legal experience? If one has financial background and certifications can that help?

While some make in house, are these just law firms or have some made in house at an investment bank like citi, Goldman, Merrill lynch or Wells Fargo?

Anonymous User

Re: How do some make in house after graduation?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:46 am

lawschoolsplit2023 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:26 am
While it’s not very common, you tend to hear of some law school graduates that make in house after law school graduation as opposed to being hired as an associate.

This made me curious, how do some make in house with no legal experience? If one has financial background and certifications can that help?

While some make in house, are these just law firms or have some made in house at an investment bank like citi, Goldman, Merrill lynch or Wells Fargo?
I find the bolded kind of confusing, because if you're working for a law firm, you're by definition not in-house.

I do know someone who went to an investment bank out of law school (not the ones you've mentioned), where they started working while in law school. They had some sort of generic business experience after undergrad (had worked in management consulting), but nothing incredibly notable. But I'm sure related experience in the industry can help.

Have you looked at the career sections on the websites for these companies? For instance, Goldman says of legal hiring:
We hire analysts, legal business services (LBS) professionals/paralegals and assistants. Our analyst program welcomes people from a variety of academic backgrounds and personal interests. Ideally, you should be interested in legal issues and the interaction of finance and the law, but a background in law and/or finance is not a prerequisite.

For our experienced hires, we generally do not hire directly from law schools, but instead hire attorneys who have experience in private practice. Our legal business services (LBS) professionals / paralegals are sourced from experienced paralegals and we hire experienced assistants.
The part I've bolded seems pretty typical for hiring in-house counsel in most industries. Do you want to be an attorney, or a banker? Why the interest in in-house for a bank right out of school?

Moneytrees

Silver

Re: How do some make in house after graduation?

Post by Moneytrees » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:03 pm

lawschoolsplit2023 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:26 am

Luck and/or networking. Generally, entry-level in-house jobs aren't that great, BTW.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”