Should I take this plaintiffs' firm offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I take this plaintiffs' firm offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:02 pm

I'm a 3L at a HYS. I'm interested in plaintiffs' law. I worked at a plaintiffs' firm last summer and received an offer. Unfortunately, my offer was revoked recently due to the firm's financial issues.

I'm now frantically job searching. There doesn't seem to be many entry-level positions at plaintiffs' firms in the city I hope to work in (secondary legal market). Thankfully, I have received an offer from a plaintiffs' firm. However, almost all of the attorneys are younger and solely work on cases in one practice area. While I'd enjoy that practice area, I'm not sure whether this firm is the right place to launch my career. I wonder if the job will pigeonhole me in any way. Should I accept this offer, or should I keep looking?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Should I take this plaintiffs' firm offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:36 am

What city are you in and how certain are you that this city is where you must work?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:36 am
What city are you in and how certain are you that this city is where you must work?
This
Also, @Lacepiece23 is the best person on these forums for advice re plaintiff's work. Has his own shop and is successful with a bunch of clients. he did biglaw before going into Plaintiff's work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Los Angeles, but I'm open to the SF Bay Area too.

top_of_the_bellcurve

New

Post by top_of_the_bellcurve » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:22 pm

OP - I'm sorry to hear about the original offer.

As a current 3L, I don't think it's my place to provide an answer to your original question. But, in case you haven't already done so - have you reached out to Harvard's Plaintiff Law Association chapter? They might have their fingers on the pulse as to which larger firms (i.e., ones that generally might be better able to "launch" your career) are still hiring.

I recently accepted a position with a larger, nationwide class-action firm. There was definitely luck involved, as I had an informational interview with an associate right as they heard that someone from last summer was leaving to clerk, and so a spot opened up. But if I can get lucky, so can you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
This
Also, @Lacepiece23 is the best person on these forums for advice re plaintiff's work. Has his own shop and is successful with a bunch of clients. he did biglaw before going into Plaintiff's work.
Just so happened to read this. Plaintiffs work is really about hustling and taking a chance on yourself.

I think a plaintiffs firm doing one practice area is a great place to start, especially if you’re talking about something like PI, class work, or employment. It’s more of a red flag if the firm has too many practice areas, unless it’s super high end and basically biglaw of the plaintiffs world.

Having a great career on the plaintiffs side does require finding the right people to learn from, moving around when it’s time, and perhaps opening up your own shop.

It’s not biglaw where you can just bill your 2k hours and go home. More to think about. Happy to talk.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:02 pm
I'm a 3L at a HYS. I'm interested in plaintiffs' law. I worked at a plaintiffs' firm last summer and received an offer. Unfortunately, my offer was revoked recently due to the firm's financial issues.

I'm now frantically job searching. There doesn't seem to be many entry-level positions at plaintiffs' firms in the city I hope to work in (secondary legal market). Thankfully, I have received an offer from a plaintiffs' firm. However, almost all of the attorneys are younger, graduated from regional law schools, and solely work on cases in one practice area. While I'd enjoy that practice area, I'm not sure whether this firm is the right place to launch my career. I wonder if the job will pigeonhole me in any way. Should I accept this offer, or should I keep looking?
Is biglaw an option for you ?

If yes, then work for several years and build up savings, then move into this area of less certain income.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:14 am

I'm a senior associate at a P-side class action firm and I think you are being a little too vague for meaningful advice, though I understand you don't want to out yourself.

I can think of a handful of firms that are respectable and pay well as far as these go but are full of lawyers from inferior law schools and that are laser-focused on particular niches within the class action space (which is itself a niche) - e.g. Milberg in Raleigh. You may be thinking of one of them. I wouldn't recommend starting a career there coming from HYS unless that was the niche you wanted in the city you wanted, for sure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This
Thanks so much for your recommendation!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:19 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This
Just so happened to read this. Plaintiffs work is really about hustling and taking a chance on yourself.

I think a plaintiffs firm doing one practice area is a great place to start, especially if you’re talking about something like PI, class work, or employment. It’s more of a red flag if the firm has too many practice areas, unless it’s super high end and basically biglaw of the plaintiffs world.

Having a great career on the plaintiffs side does require finding the right people to learn from, moving around when it’s time, and perhaps opening up your own shop.

It’s not biglaw where you can just bill your 2k hours and go home. More to think about. Happy to talk.

Thank you so much for your advice! The firm's practice area is among the ones you mentioned. I'll keep your comment in mind as I weigh my decision. :)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:23 am

CanadianWolf wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:02 pm

I'm now frantically job searching. There doesn't seem to be many entry-level positions at plaintiffs' firms in the city I hope to work in (secondary legal market). Thankfully, I have received an offer from a plaintiffs' firm. However, almost all of the attorneys are younger, graduated from regional law schools, and solely work on cases in one practice area. While I'd enjoy that practice area, I'm not sure whether this firm is the right place to launch my career. I wonder if the job will pigeonhole me in any way. Should I accept this offer, or should I keep looking?
Is biglaw an option for you ?

If yes, then work for several years and build up savings, then move into this area of less certain income.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:14 am
I'm a senior associate at a P-side class action firm and I think you are being a little too vague for meaningful advice, though I understand you don't want to out yourself.

I can think of a handful of firms that are respectable and pay well as far as these go but are full of lawyers from inferior law schools and that are laser-focused on particular niches within the class action space (which is itself a niche) - e.g. Milberg in Raleigh. You may be thinking of one of them. I wouldn't recommend starting a career there coming from HYS unless that was the niche you wanted in the city you wanted, for sure.

Thank you for this helpful advice! While I'm certain about the state I'd like to practice in, I'm not set on this niche or this city. Maybe I'll keep looking, though I'm not sure what opportunities are still out there since my offer was revoked so late.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:48 pm

top_of_the_bellcurve wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:22 pm
OP - I'm sorry to hear about the original offer.

As a current 3L, I don't think it's my place to provide an answer to your original question. But, in case you haven't already done so - have you reached out to Harvard's Plaintiff Law Association chapter? They might have their fingers on the pulse as to which larger firms (i.e., ones that generally might be better able to "launch" your career) are still hiring.

I recently accepted a position with a larger, nationwide class-action firm. There was definitely luck involved, as I had an informational interview with an associate right as they heard that someone from last summer was leaving to clerk, and so a spot opened up. But if I can get lucky, so can you!

Thank you for your encouragement and advice, and congrats on your offer! Hopefully a good opportunity comes up or this current offer ends up being a good fit!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:19 am
Lacepiece23 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This

Thank you so much for your advice! The firm's practice area is among the ones you mentioned. I'll keep your comment in mind as I weigh my decision. :)
Plaintiffs work is also about efficiency. Having too many practice areas is a recipe for disaster. We aren’t biglaw where we can bill hours to learn new areas of law.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”