Corporate to DA/PD Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Corporate to DA/PD

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:42 pm

Hello friends -- I'm a 6th year M&A associate in a major market. I think it is fine, but I've got a big pile of cash and a family I'd like to see more of. I am not particularly interested in going in-house; transactional work is really a drag, and having been in government before biglaw, I'd like to get back to something outside of the corporate fishbowl.

I'm interested in trying out litigation -- I think being a DA or PD would be interesting, potentially rewarding, and if nothing else, a change of scenery.

Any comments or experiences with such a move? I'm not looking for any speeches on motivation, dedication, "you have no idea what you're getting into," etc. I think I've got about 1 more year left in me before leaving biglaw, so I haven't started applying or even seeking out someone to discuss it with, but am wondering if even getting the job is reasonably likely with 6-7 years of transactional experience.

I could do some pro bono that might get me courtroom time, but doubtful.

I'm not seeking prestige or a premier office/region/jurisdiction.

Thank you.

Anonymous User

Re: Corporate to DA/PD

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:52 pm

This type of career transition is so unprecedented that it's unlikely that anyone will be able to give you advice. Just apply and see what happens. If you're able to demonstrate genuine interest and that you truly understand the rigors of what the DA/PD job entails, you could very well get it.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:37 pm

I went to PD as a second year transactional associate. The biggest hurdle you'll have is explaining why you want to be a PD. Once I got through that hurdle I had no issue getting the job.

A lot of PD offices need attorneys pretty badly so it's not like they're swatting away people with legal experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:11 am

Dcc617 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:37 pm
I went to PD as a second year transactional associate. The biggest hurdle you'll have is explaining why you want to be a PD. Once I got through that hurdle I had no issue getting the job.

A lot of PD offices need attorneys pretty badly so it's not like they're swatting away people with legal experience.
It’s completely doable. PD/ADA work is so different from biglaw lit anyway that coming from biglaw transactional isn’t that big a deal. Like PDs, lots of DAs also need the bodies. I know someone who made a biglaw lit to ADA transition at a similar level, moving from a major market to a mid-size city, and it worked well for them. I think having good time management skills from biglaw, and some confidence, goes a long way toward improving your work and experience as an ADA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:11 am

I know an ex-corporate associate who is a sex crimes prosecutor at a NYC DA's office and loves her job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 pm

OP here - thanks for the feedback folks. I'm encouraged!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”