Turning down 1L SA for in-house position? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
knowoneknows

New

Turning down 1L SA for in-house position?

Post by knowoneknows » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:55 pm

I have a 1L SA offer (not through any kind of special program) from a well-known V50 firm in a market I don't want to live in long-term, but in my preferred practice area. I also have an in-house offer that pays $4100 a week in my preferred location and industry (with attorneys who are very well-connected). I really liked the people I interviewed with at both places and would be excited to work at either.

Before starting law school, I could have never imagined turning down a 1L SA gig if I got one, but I am seriously considering it now. My question is as follows: is it crazy to turn down a 1L SA job? Is there a big benefit to taking the firm job this summer (other than the return offer) when I have another opportunity that pays basically just as well?

I don't want to provide too many identifying details, but fwiw, with my background + law school I'm confident about getting a 2L SA.

Thanks.

jhett

Bronze

Re: Turning down 1L SA for in-house position?

Post by jhett » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:25 pm

I'd go for the in-house position. Having client-side experience is helpful and looks good when interviewing for 2L SA positions. Also, if you think you may go in-house in the future then this is invaluable experience.

One caveat is that you should make sure you get substantive experience in the in-house position. If they are going to use you as a glorified admin assistant or paralegal, then that's not worth it.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Turning down 1L SA for in-house position?

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:54 pm

Preferred practice area versus preferred location.

How difficult will it be for you to land a permanent position in your preferred location if you lack ties--such as work experience--to that area ? In other words, any chance that a law firm in your preferred geographic area might view you as a flight risk due to lack of ties to the area ?

How strong are your preferences ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”