Underrated lit boutiques? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Underrated lit boutiques?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:12 pm

Which quality lit boutiques most often go under the radar? Current COA clerk looking to make sure I don't leave any good options unexplored. NY/DC preferred but open to other markets too.

Anonymous User

Re: Underrated lit boutiques?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:44 pm

Glenn Agre and Perry Law seem to be new players who pay well. That's all I know about them though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:43 pm

I feel like MoloLamken is not often discussed, from what I've heard they give associates substantive trial/appellate work right away. Hueston Hennigan's NY office is making waves as well.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:32 am

Underrated by whom? What "good" rating criteria are you interested in?

I think BSF is underrated at the moment because they seem (so far) to be defying expectations that they'd collapse post-Boies, but I wouldn't recommend working there to most people.

I think Susman is underrated on Vault, but I doubt you needed to be told about Susman.

Etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:07 am

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:32 am
Underrated by whom? What "good" rating criteria are you interested in?

I think BSF is underrated at the moment because they seem (so far) to be defying expectations that they'd collapse post-Boies, but I wouldn't recommend working there to most people.

I think Susman is underrated on Vault, but I doubt you needed to be told about Susman.

Etc.
Underrated as in quality boutiques that aren't necessarily on everyone's radar (unlike Susman). Bonus points for actually being good places to be (unlike Boies).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:12 pm
Which quality lit boutiques most often go under the radar? Current COA clerk looking to make sure I don't leave any good options unexplored. NY/DC preferred but open to other markets too.
Depends on what you're looking for and what qualifies as a "boutique" for you, but a lot of clerks tend to like Patterson Belknap

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:52 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:32 am
Can you explain more why you wouldn't recommend working there? Seems like issues have stabilized and prospects are good.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
There are no underrated lit boutiques because TLS overrates all litigation boutiques.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Depends on what you're looking for and what qualifies as a "boutique" for you, but a lot of clerks tend to like Patterson Belknap
I keep hearing that a lot of associates are slow there (and therefore getting screwed on bonuses), along with issues related to in-person attendance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pointplace

New

Post by pointplace » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
There are no underrated lit boutiques because TLS overrates all litigation boutiques.
I very much would say the opposite; coming from a top boutique, it is by far the best training you can receive as a young litigator. Be careful of going to an "underrated boutique" as boutiques can vary drastically--a good litmus test is to look at chambers and vault rankings for litigation-only firms and then look at the attorneys' credentials on those firms' websites.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:16 pm

Reichman Jorgensen is a great place to work -- lots of patent work, but growing white collar, appellate, and complex civil practices as well

Above market, remote, no billable hours, lots of substantive experience early on

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:40 pm

Bump.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:50 am

Bump

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:50 pm

What city? In SF, there's a big boutique firm culture. The firms are super selective, generally have "better" exit opportunities than big law and better substantive experiences for younger lawyers.

I know of Farella Braun, Keker, Shartsis, I forget the name but Miranda Kane's law firm, Lewis Lewellyn, Durie Tangri, Braunhagey, and Coblentz. They generally all have revolving doors to the USAO and count members of the bench as alumni.

hangtime813

Bronze

Post by hangtime813 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:27 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:50 pm
What city? In SF, there's a big boutique firm culture. The firms are super selective, generally have "better" exit opportunities than big law and better substantive experiences for younger lawyers.

I know of Farella Braun, Keker, Shartsis, I forget the name but Miranda Kane's law firm, Lewis Lewellyn, Durie Tangri, Braunhagey, and Coblentz. They generally all have revolving doors to the USAO and count members of the bench as alumni.
+1 to Gaddock (MTG reference?). If you are in SF and want to stay in SF, i'd definitely take a look at the above firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:58 pm

If anyone is on this thread could you throw in some suggestions for Texas. I know there is Susman of course, but are there any lit type boutiques that pay biglaw or more that aren't Susman.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:58 pm
If anyone is on this thread could you throw in some suggestions for Texas. I know there is Susman of course, but are there any lit type boutiques that pay biglaw or more that aren't Susman.
Yetter Coleman

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:07 am

pointplace wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:48 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I very much would say the opposite; coming from a top boutique, it is by far the best training you can receive as a young litigator. Be careful of going to an "underrated boutique" as boutiques can vary drastically--a good litmus test is to look at chambers and vault rankings for litigation-only firms and then look at the attorneys' credentials on those firms' websites.
This is the reason the comparably prestigious big law firms in NY and DC are better avenue. Formalized training, more resources, wider array of top practice groups, maybe a top corporate department that feeds litigation work, for at least one of the V5, small rotations that give you a small firm experience. Plus, stability (I think Elsberg is now opening his own shop? lol)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
AZA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:19 am

gaddockteeg wrote:

Curious about under the radar boutiques (read: not Molo, Wilkinson, Susman, etc.) in NY and DC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:17 am

How about Krieger and Lewin? Do they pay market? How picky are they?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Contango

New

Post by Contango » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Gibbs & Bruns
Beck Redden

Also come to mind as Houston litigation boutiques that tend to hire several UT Law grads each year and are quite selective in those hires. Don't really know anything about the culture of either.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:23 pm

hangtime813 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:27 pm
gaddockteeg wrote:

+1 to Gaddock (MTG reference?). If you are in SF and want to stay in SF, i'd definitely take a look at the above firms.
Hah yes, I don't actually know anything about the game though. It was a running joke among some friends a long time ago that I look like that character (I obv disagree).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:19 am
gaddockteeg wrote:

Curious about under the radar boutiques (read: not Molo, Wilkinson, Susman, etc.) in NY and DC.
DC and NY do not have the same boutique culture as in SF/LA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:19 am
gaddockteeg wrote:

DC and NY do not have the same boutique culture as in SF/LA.
Many consider Susman and Kellogg the two best boutiques and they're in NY and DC. Then there's Molo, Wilkinson, and others with presences in both cities. DC has many respected political / appellate boutiques.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”