SF or Silicon Valley Litigation Shops Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SF or Silicon Valley Litigation Shops

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:44 pm

Hello folks,

I'm 10 years out of lawschool and currently an AUSA in a medium selective district (not CHI/NYC/SF/LA but still a major city and fairly competitive). I'd like to move to San Francisco or Silicon Valley into a litigation shop. Where should I look?

I don't have elite credentials and didn't clerk so the Kekers and Mungers are probably out (I think?) but my resume is not terrible: T20 law school, top third. 3 years at v50 firm in DC, 4 years at a big state AG, 3 years as a criminal AUSA (1 year in the equivalent of general crimes, 2 years in white collar).

I realize that 10 years out with no book of business is tough so I'd love recommendations of places that might be amenable to hiring of-counsel/senior associates.

I'd also appreciate general advice on how to research firms/openings in this market and how to apply. Look on LinkedIn? Find a recruiter?

DiligentSage

New

Re: SF or Silicon Valley Litigation Shops

Post by DiligentSage » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:23 pm

My firm probably would be interested in a resume like that, feel free to DM.

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:58 pm

Recruiter couldn't hurt, though they'll often be tied to specific firms, so you'll want to take their advice (e.g., "Vinson Elkins is the greatest firm in SF!!") with a grain of salt.

I'd just look for white collar practice groups on chambers etc in the area. Gibson has a great one. Quinn has one, but not huge. Orrick has a big one. Not sure about SV.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:46 pm

johndhi wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:58 pm
Recruiter couldn't hurt, though they'll often be tied to specific firms, so you'll want to take their advice (e.g., "Vinson Elkins is the greatest firm in SF!!") with a grain of salt.

I'd just look for white collar practice groups on chambers etc in the area. Gibson has a great one. Quinn has one, but not huge. Orrick has a big one. Not sure about SV.
Thanks, I forgot about Gibson but I checked Quinn and Orrick's webpages already actually and didn't see any openings. Would you suggest just applying without an opening? At my seniority, that may be necessary but just wasn't sure what the protocol was/is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:17 pm

Any other ideas? From surfing this site, I understand that SF has a lot of good litigation boutiques. I've discovered Lewis Llewelyn and a mid-sized firm, Coblentz. Any others?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:46 pm
johndhi wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:58 pm

Thanks, I forgot about Gibson but I checked Quinn and Orrick's webpages already actually and didn't see any openings. Would you suggest just applying without an opening? At my seniority, that may be necessary but just wasn't sure what the protocol was/is.
Yes, apply regardless of openings. These are law firms - not known for their ability to timely update their needs/postings. Just send emails to hiring partners and/or recruiters and have a good pitch. Do it to all of the firms.

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:49 pm

Go on Chambers.

https://chambers.com/legal-rankings/lit ... 95:12059:1

Latham, Covington, Munger, O'Melveny, Skadden, Jones Day, all have SF or SV offices. Farella is another one. I'm sure you can find others if you search.

hangtime813

Bronze

Post by hangtime813 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:26 pm

I would also look at Shartsis Friese. Shartsis, along with the aforementioned Coblentz and Farella are big in SF and have a long history there.

Horvitz & Levy is also top notch for appellate work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”