If you are an (of) counsel with more than a decade of experience Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
will81999

New

If you are an (of) counsel with more than a decade of experience

Post by will81999 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:53 pm

Can you apply and get an associate position in a firm that practices up-or-out? Maybe if the ulterior motive is to become (of) counsel there.

nealric

Re: If you are an (of) counsel with more than a decade of experience

Post by nealric » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:21 pm

will81999 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:53 pm
Can you apply and get an associate position in a firm that practices up-or-out? Maybe if the ulterior motive is to become (of) counsel there.
Few firms are literally "up or out" these days. But I'm not sure what the purpose of this question is. I'm sure someone out there has taken a demotion from counsel to associate when switching firms, but I'm not sure why anybody would affirmatively want that. It would be more a situation where you apply as a counsel and (for whatever reason) the firm insists on an associate title. I suppose there are some firms still out there that reserve "counsel" for retired partners or occasional consulting attorneys like law professors.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”