Jones Day Issues and Appeals Group Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Jones Day Issues and Appeals Group

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:58 pm

I am coming off two appellate clerkships. Both judges would be considered semi-feeders. I want to do appellate work if possible and was wondering if anyone can comment on the experience in the Issues and Appeals Group at Jones Day?

What are the hours? Is the work generally good? Is partnership possible if you aren’t a SCOTUS Clerk? And is pay around market after a few years?

Anonymous User

Re: Jones Day Issues and Appeals Group

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:03 am

As far as I am aware, you cannot enter I&A directly unless you clerked for SCOTUS. All others must do a trial period to kind of audition for I&A. I don’t know the exact statistics but my sense is the number to make it into I&A from the trial period is very small - likely less than 1 in 4 who try.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:58 pm
I am coming off two appellate clerkships. Both judges would be considered semi-feeders. I want to do appellate work if possible and was wondering if anyone can comment on the experience in the Issues and Appeals Group at Jones Day?

What are the hours? Is the work generally good? Is partnership possible if you aren’t a SCOTUS Clerk? And is pay around market after a few years?
From everything I've heard it's as good as it gets for appellate nerds. 1700 to 1900 hours a year. You can do only briefs and dispositive motions if that's what you want. Partnership is very possible for members of the group. It can be hard to get in without a SCOTUS clerkship, though. Pay is at or above market at least for SCOTUS clerks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

From everything I've heard it's as good as it gets for appellate nerds. 1700 to 1900 hours a year. You can do only briefs and dispositive motions if that's what you want. Partnership is very possible for members of the group. It can be hard to get in without a SCOTUS clerkship, though. Pay is at or above market at least for SCOTUS clerks.
Do you know what the process is like for getting in without a SCOTUS clerkship? Do they really not hire anyone directly without that credential?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Do you know what the process is like for getting in without a SCOTUS clerkship? Do they really not hire anyone directly without that credential?
They make occasional exceptions, usually for superfeeder clerks and those with SCOTUS already lined up. You could give it a try and see what happens. The worst that happens is that they say no.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:44 am

There is no way to get in without at a minimum a prestigious federal appellate clerkship and most have SCOTUS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:39 pm

The notion that you need to be a scotus clerk to get into I&A is just plain wrong. You need feeder / elite appellate credentials for sure, and scotus clerks are disproportionally represented, but they hire plenty of folks with good appellate clerkships but who did not clerk scotus. I mean I’m sure someone can go through the website and see this, but I personally know at least two people who are in I&A without scotus and my co clerk got an offer without it. Not saying it’s not very competitive but still.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:39 pm
The notion that you need to be a scotus clerk to get into I&A is just plain wrong. You need feeder / elite appellate credentials for sure, and scotus clerks are disproportionally represented, but they hire plenty of folks with good appellate clerkships but who did not clerk scotus. I mean I’m sure someone can go through the website and see this, but I personally know at least two people who are in I&A without scotus and my co clerk got an offer without it. Not saying it’s not very competitive but still.
Did they get offered straight into the group or did they need to do this trial period? I’ve never heard of that until this thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”