Seeking Post-Clerkship Advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nets76

New

Seeking Post-Clerkship Advice

Post by Nets76 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:58 pm

I could really use some advice, I feel like I have an important decision to make soonish and am really struggling to be decisive.

Class of 2021. T14 graduate, worked in NYC biglaw a year after graduating, finishing up a Circuit 9/2/DC clerkship in March/April. From the south but most of my friends/family live in Phili/NYC now (which is where I would like to land).

When I left my biglaw firm before starting my clerkship, I had no intentions of going back. I didn't hate it (I did a lot of pro bono and was pretty selective in what I chose to work on), but I felt like I was wasting my time there. I went to law school because I loved policy/politics, public speaking and wanted to be in a courtroom. I only ended up going to biglaw because that's what most of my classmates were doing and it seemed like a low-risk decision at the time (and a good way to pay off loans). I figured a CoA clerkship would also give me a lot of opportunities going forward.

Fast forward, my loans are nearly paid off, but I'm unsure what the next step is when the clerkship ends in April. I would love to go the public interest or politics route but I'm having trouble finding a job that interests me, is hiring people with less than three years experience, hiring this far out, or is in a city I could see myself living in (I've applied to a few ACLU-type positions to no avail).

At this point, it seems like perhaps the best move is to go back to my old firm in April, collect the bonus/save more money, get another year of experience under my belt, and keep my eyes open for other opportunities. The thing is, I'm worried that if I go back, complacency habits will kick in and what starts off as a year could turn into five unhappy and unsatisfying years. I'm also worried that too many years in Biglaw will close public interest doors; PI employers might forgive a year in BigLaw pre-clerkship, but how much more? It seems like a lot of successful PI lawyers put their dues in early. Is it time to put in mine?

I also have connections to a state public defender office where I could get a lot of trial experience and will almost certainly have tons of fun trying cases. Besides comments from friends and family that it would be crazy not to do another year in biglaw before bolting, I have my own reservations about going the PD route. While criminal justice is a passion of mine (and my law school activities/pro bono matters reflect that), one aspect I appreciated about law firm work and my current clerkship is the diversity of cases/areas of law I get to work on. I'm genuinely excited to learn about a new area of law for a case. I'm not sure I can see myself only working in criminal procedure over the long term, even though I might really enjoy it the first year or two.

I recognize this is a good problem to have. I also realize that these preferences/interests are likely irreconcilable, but I'm worried about making the wrong decision right now, especially if that decision will foreclose my ability to make a change later on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Anonymous User

Re: Seeking Post-Clerkship Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:07 am

Nets76 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:58 pm
I could really use some advice, I feel like I have an important decision to make soonish and am really struggling to be decisive.

Class of 2021. T14 graduate, worked in NYC biglaw a year after graduating, finishing up a Circuit 9/2/DC clerkship in March/April. From the south but most of my friends/family live in Phili/NYC now (which is where I would like to land).

When I left my biglaw firm before starting my clerkship, I had no intentions of going back. I didn't hate it (I did a lot of pro bono and was pretty selective in what I chose to work on), but I felt like I was wasting my time there. I went to law school because I loved policy/politics, public speaking and wanted to be in a courtroom. I only ended up going to biglaw because that's what most of my classmates were doing and it seemed like a low-risk decision at the time (and a good way to pay off loans). I figured a CoA clerkship would also give me a lot of opportunities going forward.

Fast forward, my loans are nearly paid off, but I'm unsure what the next step is when the clerkship ends in April. I would love to go the public interest or politics route but I'm having trouble finding a job that interests me, is hiring people with less than three years experience, hiring this far out, or is in a city I could see myself living in (I've applied to a few ACLU-type positions to no avail).

At this point, it seems like perhaps the best move is to go back to my old firm in April, collect the bonus/save more money, get another year of experience under my belt, and keep my eyes open for other opportunities. The thing is, I'm worried that if I go back, complacency habits will kick in and what starts off as a year could turn into five unhappy and unsatisfying years. I'm also worried that too many years in Biglaw will close public interest doors; PI employers might forgive a year in BigLaw pre-clerkship, but how much more? It seems like a lot of successful PI lawyers put their dues in early. Is it time to put in mine?

I also have connections to a state public defender office where I could get a lot of trial experience and will almost certainly have tons of fun trying cases. Besides comments from friends and family that it would be crazy not to do another year in biglaw before bolting, I have my own reservations about going the PD route. While criminal justice is a passion of mine (and my law school activities/pro bono matters reflect that), one aspect I appreciated about law firm work and my current clerkship is the diversity of cases/areas of law I get to work on. I'm genuinely excited to learn about a new area of law for a case. I'm not sure I can see myself only working in criminal procedure over the long term, even though I might really enjoy it the first year or two.

I recognize this is a good problem to have. I also realize that these preferences/interests are likely irreconcilable, but I'm worried about making the wrong decision right now, especially if that decision will foreclose my ability to make a change later on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Everything about your post signals lit boutique (preferably one with a white collar criminal mix, like MoloLamken) -> PD/DA/AUSA.

Have you considered that route? It'll get you a fat bonus, diverse and substantive experience, and stand up opportunities to hone your skills before you switch to criminal law full-time.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:05 pm

Happy to try and help as best I can.

First, I think your notion of criminal law is maybe a bit off base. At a large firm in lit, you will specialize (albeit, not in your first few years). You'll have a huge diversity of different issues in criminal.
Second, I do agree with the other poster re lit boutique. If that isn't an option, you ought to consider state AG offices. Lots of different cases, riveting material and can often be quite political- especially in states like TX, CA, FL, VA, NY. I've also heard TN and LA are/have made more "elite" AG litigation teams recently as well. So that may be a neat option. AUSA or AFPD roles might be a good fit too.

Consider looking at other First Amendment places and groups- also, look at ACLU main and the state ones. Best of luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:49 pm

I think crim defense is actually a very varied practice area, especially if you do both paid-client and CJA/state appointed work like you would at a white-collar boutique. But it's very demanding and not for the faint of heart if you aren't really committed to it. You have to be comfortable with a job where most of your clients will end up in prison, and it sometimes may be be your fault.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”