Applying to multiple job posts in the same AUSA district? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Applying to multiple job posts in the same AUSA district?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:44 pm

I am interested in several job postings in the same AUSA district. I have to email the same person for each of the job postings. Two of the postings are in the same office, and the other one is in different office about 30 minutes away. Do I just pick my favorite one and apply to that one? Will it hurt my chances to express interest in all three positions?

Anonymous User

Re: Applying to multiple job posts in the same AUSA district?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:44 pm
I am interested in several job postings in the same AUSA district. I have to email the same person for each of the job postings. Two of the postings are in the same office, and the other one is in different office about 30 minutes away. Do I just pick my favorite one and apply to that one? Will it hurt my chances to express interest in all three positions?
No, as long as you'd be willing to take any of the three, apply to all three. At least in my (admittedly limited) experience with hiring, there's no stigma to applying to any/all open positions, and if you don't affirmatively apply for/express interest in a specific posting, they can't consider you for it. You don't want to be in the position where you apply for Job A, and they get a better candidate for Job A, but they also really like you and want to hire you for Job B, but they literally can't b/c you didn't apply for Job B.

My current office has definitely hired someone who applied to two separate openings at the same time (we had both a permanent and a term gig; this person applied for both, and didn't get the permanent job, but impressed management enough that they got hired for the term job, and have since been converted to permanent b/c they're excellent).

The only issue is if the positions are all specialized enough that arguing you're an equally good candidate for all of them strains credulity, though I don't think this really comes into play until you're looking at more senior positions. If these are entry level jobs, you may well lose out to someone with more experience, but as long as you don't need a long history of specific experience to apply, it's not going to make you look bad to apply for each of them.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”