Reneging on in house offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reneging on in house offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:18 pm

Hi all,

I accepted an in house offer while in the interview stages of another higher paying in house job (around 80% more with greater long term upside). I need a new job and wanted the security of having something lined up. I’ve made it to the final stages of that second job and if I received an offer, am contemplating reneging on the first job. This would likely all be before my start date with the first job.

Any anecdotal experience regarding this situation? How bad does this look? It would be hard to turn down the much higher paying role with student loans etc. and I feel very conflicted.

Thank you!

Anonymous User

Re: Reneging on in house offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:32 pm

I lost out on three in house roles after the final rounds before finally closing the deal on my fourth try. Best of luck in the final round. That said, given the gulf in compensation, I think reneging at Company 1 is fine, provided you're OK burning that bridge forever.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:18 pm
Hi all,

I accepted an in house offer while in the interview stages of another higher paying in house job (around 80% more with greater long term upside). I need a new job and wanted the security of having something lined up. I’ve made it to the final stages of that second job and if I received an offer, am contemplating reneging on the first job. This would likely all be before my start date with the first job.

Any anecdotal experience regarding this situation? How bad does this look? It would be hard to turn down the much higher paying role with student loans etc. and I feel very conflicted.

Thank you!
You'll burn the bridges at Company #1, but you have to do what's best for you. The company can fire you with no notice at all, and you can "fire" them. You will of course have to manage timing if you are approaching your start date at company 1. The sooner you can give them notice the better.

hangtime813

Bronze

Post by hangtime813 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:18 am

Do what you gotta do. Sometimes a bridge needs to be burned but if you'll never go back anyway its fine. Life's too short to worry about every single bridge anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:11 pm

Thanks all! Nice to hear I'm not crazy. Sucks to have to disappoint some people though. We will see if I even get the offer though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:49 pm

I’m in house in tech, so that colors my views, but with all the layoffs going on, I say it’s fair game to burn bridges. These companies won’t hesitate to kick you to the curb if it makes sense for their bottom line. I’ve seen people laid off while on mat leave with their first kid. Brutal. Do what’s best for you.

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:28 am

they do it to us, we can do it to them. sucks but has to be done.

https://fortune.com/2023/09/11/ryan-pet ... ob-offers/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”