Debevoise NY v Skadden DC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Debevoise NY v Skadden DC

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:18 am

Please help me choose between the two. Goals are general corporate work. My thoughts so far:

Deb NY - generally liked the people I met better, great funds group, lockstep comp, heard nothing negative about the firm. I don't mind NY but would rather live in DC.

Skadden DC - weird vibe, might get pigeonholed into a specific practice area. On the other hand, it's DC, so lower COL, some family ties to the city. SO's preferred location.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Debevoise NY v Skadden DC

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:10 am

I think Skadden DC is an easy choice since you and your SO both prefer DC ... You may be "pigeonholed" into the corporate group but you say that's what you want, so don't see the issue - I think it's small enough compared to NY offices to probably give you more flexibility within the group than you might get elsewhere, so should be fine. It's a great place to be for corporate in DC so don't see any real reason to hesitate picking it

Anonymous User

Re: Debevoise NY v Skadden DC

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:16 pm

Sorry if too late for your OCI. Made the same choice a few years ago and very happy at Deb NY (Corp), but I think determining factor here is solely location - it was also for me, just in the opposite direction. Since you and your SO would rather live in DC, I vote Skadden. If you're set on corporate and get pigeonholed/can't handle the weird vibe, you'll be competitive to move within DC to other corp shops, and at worst, NY and our larger groups will probably be here for you. If you're not set on corporate, better to be in DC anyway.

If you ended choosing Deb instead - welcome!!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”