Success stories for switching from lit to corporate? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Success stories for switching from lit to corporate?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:01 pm

I am hoping to switch from litigation to corporate (M&A/private equity) because I feel that corporate practice is a much better fit for my personality after having worked on both lit and transactional matters. I am in biglaw already and am well aware of the demands that come with the practice. I am okay with the unpredictability and long hours, as I do have passion for the work. Looking to make this move soon as I am still a junior (and apparently it's easier to do this sooner rather than later). Has anyone here made a similar switch and have success stories/tips/advice they would be open to sharing? TIA!

Anonymous User

Re: Success stories for switching from lit to corporate?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:27 pm

did my 2L SA in lit -> did COA after graduation -> came back to same firm doing corporate. firm was totally fine with that. got the class year bump, clerkship bonus etc, but was staffed more like a first year

didn't seem like a big deal if you're junior + smart + firm has busy corp department

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:57 pm

Did the lit to corp switch when I moved from a firm to in-house. Was a commercial lit associate at the firm and now do a mix of transactional/regulatory work in-house.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:08 pm

Went from construction litigation to construction transactional work (had to switch firms). Would do it again in a heartbeat. Much more enjoyable career.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:57 pm
Did the lit to corp switch when I moved from a firm to in-house. Was a commercial lit associate at the firm and now do a mix of transactional/regulatory work in-house.
Do you find that future employers questions you about the switch? I know this was years ago, hopefully you see it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bajablast

New

Post by bajablast » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:34 pm

Man I know someone who was a public defender for 7 years before becoming an M&A lawyer at an Amlaw 100 firm. It happens all the time, you can definitely transition from litigation to transactional. The alternative (transactional to litigation), is also possible but not as commonly seen.

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:13 pm

bajablast wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:34 pm
Man I know someone who was a public defender for 7 years before becoming an M&A lawyer at an Amlaw 100 firm. It happens all the time, you can definitely transition from litigation to transactional. The alternative (transactional to litigation), is also possible but not as commonly seen.
do you think transactional to lit is less common because transactional folks less often want to go to litigation, or is it less common because it's more difficult to pull off?

ayb23

New

Post by ayb23 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:09 pm

bajablast wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:34 pm
I made the switch from lit to corporate by going in house. I’ve been doing that for a few years but looking to move somewhere else. Do you think in this market the switch would put me at a disadvantage over those who have been doing it their whole career? I’m also curious how one could negotiate salary if they have been practicing law for, let’s say 8 years, but four of those years were in lit and the other four in corporate. Would I be able to demand a comp for an attorney with 8 years of practice or only 4?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”