STL/KC Raises Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: STL/KC Raises

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:05 am

I understand that sentiment because even within firms so much depends on practice group, who you work within the practice group, the luck of getting easy couple of assignments and crushing them, whether you joined the firm at a weird time.

Also, it depends the type of person you are. Some people will succeed anywhere. Some people succeed at other places. Some people are looking for trial experience while others are working to be compensated appropriately and care about having a life.

But I’ll entertain a breakdown (this is in no particular order):

BCLP - hear good things. Have a few friends that have worked there for years. When you group has the work, you are expected to work hard. When you leave group does not have the work, not the typical pressure.

HB - hear good things, but I know they let go partners when they get older and aren’t pulling their weight. Growing and they get exciting trial work.

Polsinelli - trying to grow like HB over the last few years, but by doing so putting pressure on partners to increase their billable rate. For Stl litigation, they are small. KC different story.

Shook - for KC they are big. New small STL office they make up of former TC and Capes Sokol partners. So my guess is the STL side might be a little stuck in the 1980s.

Stinson - for KC they are big. For STL, I don’t ever see them, but maybe they have more STL County work that I just don’t recognize.

TC - big in STL. Have been told this firm depends which group/partner you work for. I’ve heard the firm still feels split between the Coburn Side (laidbackish) and the Thompson Mitchell side (uptight). I know a number of lawyers that worked their butt off and left. STL litigation associates seem to constantly be changing. The people that have left are successful at other places.

Lewis Rice - big in STL. Have a few friends that have been there for years. So can’t be too bad? But have heard from others leaving the firm that is very formal and uptight.

Armstrong Teasdale - big in STL. They have a successful litigation department, but I know people that have left bc they are intense and uptight. The people have left are successful at other places.

Greensfelder - know people that have left to go to other firms and in house. Litigation department is not like it was. Also, they are no longer keeping up with the other firms re: compensation.

Sandberg Phoenix - growing, but I don’t have friends that work there. Hear it is a solid firm. They do not keep up with the other firms re: compensation.

Dowd Bennett - STL lit boutique, but known for getting biggest cases in STL. Also, allegedly pay top compensation. They hire top of class and law clerks. Looks like they retain their associates, but have heard that the work comes from small group and heard it is an intense atmosphere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:05 am
I understand that sentiment because even within firms so much depends on practice group, who you work within the practice group, the luck of getting easy couple of assignments and crushing them, whether you joined the firm at a weird time.

Also, it depends the type of person you are. Some people will succeed anywhere. Some people succeed at other places. Some people are looking for trial experience while others are working to be compensated appropriately and care about having a life.

BCLP - hear good things. Have a few friends that have worked there for years. When you group has the work, you are expected to work hard. When you leave group does not have the work, not the typical pressure.

HB - hear good things, but I know they let go partners when they get older and aren’t pulling their weight. Growing and they get exciting trial work.

Polsinelli - trying to grow like HB over the last few years, but by doing so putting pressure on partners to increase their billable rate. For Stl litigation, they are small. KC different story.

Shook - for KC they are big. New small STL office they make up of former TC and Capes Sokol partners. So my guess is the STL side might be a little stuck in the 1980s.

Stinson - for KC they are big. For STL, I don’t ever see them, but maybe they have more STL County work that I just don’t recognize.

TC - big in STL. Have been told this firm depends which group/partner you work for. I’ve heard the firm still feels split between the Coburn Side (laidbackish) and the Thompson Mitchell side (uptight). I know a number of lawyers that worked their butt off and left. STL litigation associates seem to constantly be changing. The people that have left are successful at other places.

Lewis Rice - big in STL. Have a few friends that have been there for years. So can’t be too bad? But have heard from others leaving the firm that is very formal and uptight.

Armstrong Teasdale - big in STL. They have a successful litigation department, but I know people that have left bc they are intense and uptight. The people have left are successful at other places.

Greensfelder - know people that have left to go to other firms and in house. Litigation department is not like it was. Also, they are no longer keeping up with the other firms re: compensation.

Sandberg Phoenix - growing, but I don’t have friends that work there. Hear it is a solid firm. They do not keep up with the other firms re: compensation.

Dowd Bennett - STL lit boutique, but known for getting biggest cases in STL. Also, allegedly pay top compensation. They hire top of class and law clerks. Looks like they retain their associates, but have heard that the work comes from small group and heard it is an intense atmosphere.
Since folks seem to care greatly about this these days, worth noting that HB seems way chiller than most firms when it comes to WFH/remote work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:05 am

Since folks seem to care greatly about this these days, worth noting that HB seems way chiller than most firms when it comes to WFH/remote work.
I interviewed there recently and they said the baseline expectation is in the office 4 days a week at least....midlevel corporate associate trying to lateral from K&E with a t14 degree

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:06 pm

The word on the street is that Polsinelli upped STL first-year salaries to 200k. Anyone know if other firms will go this route?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:06 pm
The word on the street is that Polsinelli upped STL first-year salaries to 200k. Anyone know if other firms will go this route?
BCLP was already there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 01, 2024 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:45 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:06 pm
BCLP was already there.
What are the other firms at?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”