Which partners at your firms are notoriously terrible to work for? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Which partners at your firms are notoriously terrible to work for?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:30 pm

throwawayt14 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:34 pm
Avoid the LinkedIn “lawdad” at DLA. His public persona is carefully crafted. He’s an egomaniac.
I would naturally assume any partner trying to create a brand on Linkedin is an egomaniac.
Anyone who does anything on LinkedIn other than share their firm’s stuff or like random posts is suspect

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:54 pm

He's at DLA? Didn't he start his own joint? What's he like to work with?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:40 am

FordHarrison LLP -- avoid this firm like the plague, and, in particular, a few "personalities" there.

Johanna Zelman, nightmarishly incompetent partner who runs the Hartford office -- impulsive, disorganized, and ineffective, has cycled through maybe a dozen local attorneys at the associate and partner level in the ~7ish years the office has been around -- remarkable for a branch office that employs only a handful of people. No one has stuck around from the beginning. Always unprepared for whatever you're working on with her, abusive to associates, will call you at 11pm with a filing she forgot about, then throw you to the wolves if it benefits her politically and outright lie to get out of trouble. Completely absent from the office most of the time, will show up like a whirlwind every couple of weeks or to show off for new hires. The classic toxic partner who throws associates under the bus to skate by. Tests your ability to be a sycophant, not a good lawyer.

Corey Franklin in the firm's Missouri office -- comes off charming at first, brings you into a case, quickly turns into screamer/bully, has little time to supervise or train new associates, doesn't review work, and will trap you into a toxic cycle of being overworked/undersupervised, where you have time for no one else. Clearly thinks of himself as a hot shot and won't hesitate to throw weight around in a vindictive fashion. Untrustworthy and two-faced. Talks about women in gross, misogynistic terms behind closed doors.

Best of luck out there everyone!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:54 pm
Not the same guy. The one you're talking about was at DLA before going to GDC and now joining a small boutique.

DLA has another lawdad type who's obnoxious on LinkedIn.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:18 am

Yuli Wang at K&E is toxic.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:13 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:54 pm
Not the same guy. The one you're talking about was at DLA before going to GDC and now joining a small boutique.

DLA has another lawdad type who's obnoxious on LinkedIn.
Is it Matt Schwartz? If so, I agree with the above - any BigLaw partner that posts THAT frequently on LinkedIn must have an issue or two...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:21 pm

Anyone worked with Ji Hye You at Proskauer? Should I be afraid of getting staffed to one of her matters?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:26 pm

Any thoughts on Gary Bornstein at Cravath. I've seen him snap at associates during court breaks, but not sure if that was just the pressure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:18 am
Why?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:56 pm

That’s the problem with this thread. Very few say why the partner is terrible so you never know if the partner is bad or the commenter, or neither and they just don’t mix. I would take an organized yeller who minimizes late nights over a polite but unorganized boss that wants a quick turn around on everything regardless of client or project need. Would be nice to have posters say what they like and then say why the partner or whoever doesn’t mesh.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:21 pm
Anyone worked with Ji Hye You at Proskauer? Should I be afraid of getting staffed to one of her matters?
She’s even worse than what you heard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:04 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:21 pm
She’s even worse than what you heard.
Okay, but did you bother to read the poster directly above you? Like, WHY or HOW is she "worse than what you heard"?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry if you're one of the juniors I heard him berating on a call while we were working across from y'all. The first year on that deal came to my office afterwards like :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:56 pm
That’s the problem with this thread. Very few say why the partner is terrible so you never know if the partner is bad or the commenter, or neither and they just don’t mix. I would take an organized yeller who minimizes late nights over a polite but unorganized boss that wants a quick turn around on everything regardless of client or project need. Would be nice to have posters say what they like and then say why the partner or whoever doesn’t mesh.
Eh it's useful. Good partners won't make the list.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:34 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Not so sure about that. I’ve worked with some of the people on this thread. Seemed fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:12 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:34 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Not so sure about that. I’ve worked with some of the people on this thread. Seemed fine.
Sociopaths usually don't reveal themselves right away.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:59 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Why?
Nice try, Yuli.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:59 pm

any Gibson Dunn M&A partners?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:21 pm

What about partners at WSGR (SF/PA in particular)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:59 pm
no, but almost the entire bankruptcy group is psychotic and I would personally avoid it like the plague unless your top priority is working from home for a medium length amount of time before leaving big law altogether.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:17 am
Any horror stories from Texas firms? By and large, the homegrown firms still seem to pitch the "this is kinder, gentler Biglaw" spiel, even though no one buys that anymore. I am curious if there are any particularly tyrannical folks in Houston/Dallas/Austin.
Haynes Boone capital markets, though in NYC. Heard some abusive stories come from that group, and the firm refuses to do anything about it despite its “collegial culture with Texas roots.” Avoid at all costs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:20 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:38 am

-
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:38 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:00 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:59 pm
no, but almost the entire bankruptcy group is psychotic and I would personally avoid it like the plague unless your top priority is working from home for a medium length amount of time before leaving big law altogether.
I haven't worked at GDC but I've been across from them a bunch of times. Scott Greenberg seems to be universally hated among the bankruptcy bar (dishonest shouter who loves making vague threats about what he'll do to you next time). I presume he doesn't treat his associates any better?
Honestly just need to rant for a moment and vent & your comment is giving me that opportunity. Sorry to anyone who has to read this & doesn't want to. Being frank, the abuse I've suffered in this group is some of the worst treatment I've ever had and I have a sibling with diagnosed antisocial personality disorder. I get yelled at for asking basic questions or needing review as a junior. Group is clearly sexist and makes sure to tell their clients on every single call they promise "not to get them pregnant with xyz."

I get called every month that I bill between 180-190 hours and told orally that if it's not between "200-250/month" I will not have a place in the group and/or that "the next call will be from Scott and it will be a very negative outcome for my career." Associates have been no-bonused for doing hundreds of hours of mandatory client development work (essentially juniors have taken the client development write off on bonuses) after being assured the client dev number would be considered sacrosanct and that that info came direct from Barbara Becker herself.

They gave an absolutely unhinged presentation on "expectations" a few months back where associates were told someone "worked through parental leave" because that person was so bored as though that should be inspirational. We were told "nothing pisses [junior partner ABC] off more than when an associate asks basic questions meanwhile the slide says something like "We want to help you grow, please ask your questions :) ;P XD". The vibe is that we need to file formal notice with these partners to take a shower.

The only solace is that I am fully work from home, which I will fight tooth and nail for. It makes it very easy to deal with SG and/or his attack dogs. I simply turn off laptop and walk my actual dog. Like I alluded to, I grew up in a pretty abusive environment, so Scott doesn't scare me. He can't be meaner to me than my own mom or my sibling who physically forced me to eat literal dog food. The fact that fear doesn't work on me and that I often memorialize conversations about 200 hour threats in writing to other firm members has been difficult for the partners who are belittling and hurtful - you can't hurt or belittle me. I lived in a third world country for years. I've had no food in my stomach for months. Let them eat this cake.

TL;DR yup one of the worst partners in big law to work for.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”