Hueston Hennigan AMA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Hueston Hennigan AMA

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:19 pm

Not directly HH related, but if you’re still around do you (or any lurkers here) know of any firms somewhat comparable to elite trial boutiques worth considering in the non-Chicago Midwest? Sounds like really cool work but I am a hick at heart

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:19 pm
Not directly HH related, but if you’re still around do you (or any lurkers here) know of any firms somewhat comparable to elite trial boutiques worth considering in the non-Chicago Midwest? Sounds like really cool work but I am a hick at heart
Belin McCormick comes to mind, if you're fine with Des Moines -- though I'm not sure they are as trial-focused.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:07 pm

What’s culture like at the firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:07 pm
I'd like to know this too -- are folks happy? Is is a place amenable to having a life outside of work/a family? Is there flexibility (outside of trials/hearings) to work from home?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:19 pm
Robins Kaplan.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:07 pm
I'd like to know this too -- are folks happy? Is is a place amenable to having a life outside of work/a family? Is there flexibility (outside of trials/hearings) to work from home?
I always hear “it’s not a lifestyle firm,” but don’t really know what that means.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:17 am

LBJ's Hair wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:14 pm
anonbanker wrote: Just stop. Please.

No need to keep shitting up this thread with your inanity
you're right, I derailed the thread. maybe you can give everyone the investment banker's perspective on HH, that'd be super intersting
LBJ is everything wrong with tls, reddit, and the internet generally. Thanks to OP for posting

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:55 pm

Does anyone have any insights on callback process? Can I expect substantive legal questions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:55 pm
Does anyone have any insights on callback process? Can I expect substantive legal questions?
Not really. Mostly a fit interview. You should be able to talk about your writing sample/note/a legal issue fluently just like any other firm. But it's not a bad interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

antelope5367

New

Post by antelope5367 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:31 pm

Does HH have a summer associate program? No mention of it on the website so I'm assuming it's a no, but I'm an incoming 1L doing my research for lit opportunities in LA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:43 am

Your assumption is correct. Confirmed that HH has no summer associate program.

northernlion9

New

Post by northernlion9 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:32 am

To OP: what are your thoughts on the new NY office? It looks like the firm hired a bunch of laterals and I know of at least two clerkship hires, but the website says no partners are based out of NY, as of yet.

Fwiw, the quality of the associates seems below Susman NY but close to or on par with the other elite boutiques in town.

Do you know what the firm's vision for the NY office is?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:49 pm

northernlion9 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:32 am
To OP: what are your thoughts on the new NY office? It looks like the firm hired a bunch of laterals and I know of at least two clerkship hires, but the website says no partners are based out of NY, as of yet.

Fwiw, the quality of the associates seems below Susman NY but close to or on par with the other elite boutiques in town.

All of the associates hired for the NY office last year came off COA/SDNY clerkships. The three HH offices are integrated and cases are staffed across offices. Senior partners and counsel from the firm's West Coast offices are working out of the NY office on rotating, months-long stints to establish a presence and import the culture.

The expectation is that permanent partnership in the NY office will be developed organically from among the associate/counsel ranks.

HH is hiring. Best way to find out more is to apply and check it out for yourself.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:49 pm
northernlion9 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:32 am

All of the associates hired for the NY office last year came off COA/SDNY clerkships. The three HH offices are integrated and cases are staffed across offices. Senior partners and counsel from the firm's West Coast offices are working out of the NY office on rotating, months-long stints to establish a presence and import the culture.

The expectation is that permanent partnership in the NY office will be developed organically from among the associate/counsel ranks.

HH is hiring. Best way to find out more is to apply and check it out for yourself.
That's a really interesting approach to building out a new office in a major legal market. I'm a few years out from post-clerkship hiring, but that's great to know. Thanks for the insight!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:03 pm

Would be curious to hear how HH's culture differs from SG and west coast lit firms like KVN and MTO, if anyone has insight.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:45 pm

Sorry if you've answered this already, but what makes HH stand out amongst other lit boutiques?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:43 pm

Anyone have insight on what type of grades are necessary to be considered at HH if you have two clerkships? I know it's competitive, but I'm trying to gauge competitiveness relative to other firms like MTO or Susman.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:43 pm
Anyone have insight on what type of grades are necessary to be considered at HH if you have two clerkships? I know it's competitive, but I'm trying to gauge competitiveness relative to other firms like MTO or Susman.
Can't you just look on the website? It looks like most associates have coif/magna from T14 + UCLA, with a few exceptions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:21 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Can't you just look on the website? It looks like most associates have coif/magna from T14 + UCLA, with a few exceptions.
Four of the first six associates you click on don't say whether they were cum laude/order of the coif. And schools like Columbia and Yale don't rank the same way. But that's not really my question because I know they're all very credentialed and did well. I'm more wondering if they flex on non-top 10% grades or if it's like Susman where non-top 10% grades basically get you auto rejected.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Four of the first six associates you click on don't say whether they were cum laude/order of the coif. And schools like Columbia and Yale don't rank the same way. But that's not really my question because I know they're all very credentialed and did well. I'm more wondering if they flex on non-top 10% grades or if it's like Susman where non-top 10% grades basically get you auto rejected.
Fair point, although Columbia has Kent/Stone and Yale is, well, Yale. If you're Kent/Stone all sems from CLS or went to Yale + have two great clerkships, I'd imagine you'd be competitive (no HH affiliation, but come on).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I’ve never heard Susman is top 10% only. Obviously it’s the most elite firm but as I understand it, they’re hiring is much more holistic than that…

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:31 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I’ve never heard Susman is top 10% only. Obviously it’s the most elite firm but as I understand it, they’re hiring is much more holistic than that…
Got it, I was just assuming. That’s what I was asking about HH as well. Whether they’re intense on grades or whether it’s more of an all-around consideration.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Got it, I was just assuming. That’s what I was asking about HH as well. Whether they’re intense on grades or whether it’s more of an all-around consideration.
Current attorney at HH. Yes, grades are important, but it’s not prohibitive as long as you’re above median. It really is an all-around consideration.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Current attorney at HH. Yes, grades are important, but it’s not prohibitive as long as you’re above “decently” median. It really is an all-around consideration.

***edited to add “decently” and of course this depends on what school

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:20 am

Former HH associate here. One of the biggest things the firm looks for is a convincing explanation for why you want to be a trial lawyer. Because you will do actual trials there and will be expected to carry a big load on them, even as a relatively junior associate. It's the firm's bread and butter. So yes, you need good grades, but you should have a good answer for the "Why HH?" question that is geared toward trial work.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”