Canadian Attorney in the US Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wcbc

New

Canadian Attorney in the US

Post by wcbc » Wed May 29, 2019 10:50 am

Hi everyone,

I am a soon-to-be Canadian attorney and am considering doing my LLM in the States. I have already received an offer from my top school (located in the city I want to practice in). However, I also received a job offer from a firm in Canada and am now deciding between working here or going to school in the States.

The main reason why I want to move to the States is because my partner is currently there working. He has a really great job and he would be able to financially support me while I do my LLM. We have talked about what we should do and decided that us working in the States would ultimately be best for both our careers.

In order to become eligible to write the bar in the sate I want to practice in, I can either do the LLM or have 3 years of work experience in Canada. Although I want to ultimately end up in the States, I also want to make myself marketable so that US firms will want to hire me.

I have heard that finding a job as a new call is difficult, to say the least (which is also the case in Canada), so I just wanted your input and advice as to how I should proceed. P.S. I am not interested in biglaw and the area that I'm interested in is pretty specialized and one that I already have law firm experience in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

wcbc

wcbc

New

Re: Canadian Attorney in the US

Post by wcbc » Wed May 29, 2019 11:33 am

I guess I should also mention that I already have my JD, albeit a Canadian one, and have worked at a law firm for 1.5 years (as a summer associate and as an articling student for 10 months, which is required post law school graduation)

Zax11

New

Post by Zax11 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:36 pm

Hello fellow Canadian, could you please advise how things turned out for you / what you chose? I am in a similar boat :(

LittleRedCorvette

Bronze

Post by LittleRedCorvette » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:44 pm

Zax11 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:36 pm
Hello fellow Canadian, could you please advise how things turned out for you / what you chose? I am in a similar boat :(
Last active:Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:23 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”