Secondment Advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Secondment Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2019 11:57 pm

I'm a fourth year corporate associate at a v20.

I had the opportunity to be seconded to a F500 company earlier in my career, but have also been offered another secondment at a bank in the coming months. I'm not exactly gunning to make partner, but I do feel that going on my first secondment might've held back my skillset and my progress back at the firm. Although I think this second secondment will be more useful, especially with regards to in-house opportunities and necessary experience, I'm afraid that I'll be held back even further at the firm.

Has anyone had a similar experience (or any advice)?

Anonymous User

Re: Secondment Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 15, 2019 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a fourth year corporate associate at a v20.

I had the opportunity to be seconded to a F500 company earlier in my career, but have also been offered another secondment at a bank in the coming months. I'm not exactly gunning to make partner, but I do feel that going on my first secondment might've held back my skillset and my progress back at the firm. Although I think this second secondment will be more useful, especially with regards to in-house opportunities and necessary experience, I'm afraid that I'll be held back even further at the firm.

Has anyone had a similar experience (or any advice)?
FWIW My firm encourages mid-levels to seek secondment opportunities and promotes it as helping you develop skills you'll need as a partner (looking through the client's eyes, knowing their business well, etc.). I get that your concern it will get you off the radar and hurt your partnership chances though, and unfortunately can't add much as that is more group dynamic-specific. If this is the kind of in-house position you'd be interested in though, that seems really valuable. Good luck!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”