Getting Up to Speed on Cap Markets? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Getting Up to Speed on Cap Markets?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:37 am

Long story short, got placed in a cap markets group, but have no experience (I didn’t request it). Still, I want to do well, so was wondering if anyone could suggest some resources I could use to get up to speed quickly.

I don’t know any terminology (or the process) either, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

RedGiant

Re: Getting Up to Speed on Cap Markets?

Post by RedGiant » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:46 pm

Does your firm have a PLI membership? If so, they have several webcasts on how the SEC works, how to do a public offering.

If your firm does a lot of capital markets work, check your own firm's training library/webcasts/videos and training materials. If there is a senior associate you are going to work with, ask him or her whose precedents he or she likes to search under on FileSite.

If you are ever in doubt re any cap markets work, google MoFo and the type of offering (EX: "Morrison & Foerster At-the-Market Offerings" or "Morrison & Foerster Tender Offer") They have great FAQ.

PLC is also a great resource. It will explain to you what a comfort letter is, what a backup binder is, what underwriters do, what a circle-up is, what a kickoff meeting is, what a roadshow is, what a greenshoe is, who does what on a public offering, etc. They have a whole section that is just capital markets and securities. Just look at their different Practice Notes.

If you don't know any securities laws, find the E&E for SecReg because you need to understand liability relating to public offerings, gun jumping, etc.

Good luck!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”