Big law -> IL AG office Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Big law -> IL AG office

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:40 pm

I just finished my first year in biglaw and I am completely miserable. I took a vacation last month and I’ve never felt anxiety and dread like I did when it was over. I generally like the people I work with, and it seems that as far as biglaw goes they aren’t so bad (try to be respectful of my outside of work commitments when possible) but the whole big firm model is just not for me. My loans are manageable, so although the money is really great it’s not worth it for me to feel like this for the next 2-4 years until I eventually get pushed out anyways.

I’m thinking about applying to the Illinois AG office. They have a few positions open, some more appealing to me than others and some looking for less experience. Has anyone made this transition? I guess these are the specific questions I have:

1. Is it worth it to apply after only one year, or will my resume get tossed?
2. Is the work/life balance that much better than big law?
3. Does the work feel more rewarding? Or interesting? At all?
4. Is it ever possible to start in one division of the AG’s office and lateral over to a different, unrelated one?

TYIA

Anonguy715

New

Re: Big law -> IL AG office

Post by Anonguy715 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:59 am

I don't have any specific knowledge of IL's AG office, but I do know quite a few friends/classmates who worked in other AG offices. To answer your questions in order:

1) Yes, there's no harm in applying. A lot of AG offices hire young attorneys with 1-3 years of experience for their entry level positions. Again, no specific knowledge of the IL AG, but that seems relatively normal in other offices.

2) Yes, absolutely. Again, no particular experience with the IL AG, but in other offices "working late" means staying after 530. You're working pretty standard government hours.

3) We can't answer this one for you. It's entirely dependent on your own personal goals / interests and the division in which you'll be working. Some people don't like the slower pace and (depending on the division) smaller stakes. Other people find working for the government extremely rewarding and love walking into work every day. FWIW I haven't met anyone miserable in an AG's office.

4) Possible, but I don't think it happens all that often. This largely depends on the culture and structure of your particular office, which, again, I don't have personal knowledge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just finished my first year in biglaw and I am completely miserable. I took a vacation last month and I’ve never felt anxiety and dread like I did when it was over. I generally like the people I work with, and it seems that as far as biglaw goes they aren’t so bad (try to be respectful of my outside of work commitments when possible) but the whole big firm model is just not for me. My loans are manageable, so although the money is really great it’s not worth it for me to feel like this for the next 2-4 years until I eventually get pushed out anyways.

I’m thinking about applying to the Illinois AG office. They have a few positions open, some more appealing to me than others and some looking for less experience. Has anyone made this transition? I guess these are the specific questions I have:

1. Is it worth it to apply after only one year, or will my resume get tossed?
2. Is the work/life balance that much better than big law?
3. Does the work feel more rewarding? Or interesting? At all?
4. Is it ever possible to start in one division of the AG’s office and lateral over to a different, unrelated one?

TYIA
I don't work there but work in IL state position, have friends in AG and have seen them transition.

1. Probably worth it, depends. I've seen people go from plaintiff's firms, mid law, and less prestigious clerk positions. Most had several years experience, but not a ton.
2. Work-life balance is A+. Leave at 6, leave work at the office. Varies by dep't, I imagine.
3. I'm sure the work will be more rewarding than big law, but I've also heard its a bit of a paper factory at times due to internal guidelines and state regulations & oversight.
4. I've seen people change divisions but I don't know the mechanics behind the move. They weren't senior attorneys but had put in several years.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:13 pm

It might make sense to try to tough it out for another year or at least another 6 months for resume and future employment purposes.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:31 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:It might make sense to try to tough it out for another year or at least another 6 months for resume and future employment purposes.
Agreed. If OP is really miserable, they could consider lateraling to a different BigLaw firm (difficult but probably doable at 1 year), but then they'd probably want to stay at the second firm for at least 2 years before trying to apply to a third job so as not to come across as a "job hopper." So I guess, consider moving if there are firm-specific reasons why OP dreads their current job, but otherwise just try toughing it out for another 6 months-1 year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:34 am

OP here, really grateful for all of this advice! My original post was from November, so now I have been at my firm for just about a year and a half. I think at this point I’ll definitely try to stick it out until at least mid year bonus if not staying until the end of the year, but everyone’s experience is really encouraging. I might try to reach out to alums in different divisions of ILAG to get their impressions.

One more question - does anyone have any experience with the steep pay cut? Basically quartering my salary is tough to swallow but I would rather do it now than later when I have kids, etc to support.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, really grateful for all of this advice! My original post was from November, so now I have been at my firm for just about a year and a half. I think at this point I’ll definitely try to stick it out until at least mid year bonus if not staying until the end of the year, but everyone’s experience is really encouraging. I might try to reach out to alums in different divisions of ILAG to get their impressions.

One more question - does anyone have any experience with the steep pay cut? Basically quartering my salary is tough to swallow but I would rather do it now than later when I have kids, etc to support.
Actually thought of another question! Does anyone know if you can apply to multiple divisions at once? Or does that look bad?

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here, really grateful for all of this advice! My original post was from November, so now I have been at my firm for just about a year and a half. I think at this point I’ll definitely try to stick it out until at least mid year bonus if not staying until the end of the year, but everyone’s experience is really encouraging. I might try to reach out to alums in different divisions of ILAG to get their impressions.

Actually thought of another question! Does anyone know if you can apply to multiple divisions at once? Or does that look bad?
In the one AGs office district (not IL size state, but relativekt large state) with which I am aware, this would not be held against you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”