Would screeners at this moment have a higher possibility to turn into callbacks? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Would screeners at this moment have a higher possibility to turn into callbacks?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:06 pm

I recently grabbed two phone/skype screener interviews from V20/V50 firms in non-NY major markets scheduled tomorrow and early next week via MM. I am super nervous and excited at the same time since I struck out hard at OCI. I am now practicing hard for my interviews but never have done phone/skype interviews before so kinda worrying about that. If anyone has done phone/skype interviews before, I would greatly appreciate if you share some tips/experience for me. Also, just to reduce my anxiety little, would screeners at this stage have higher yields?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Would screeners at this moment have a higher possibility to turn into callbacks/offers?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:14 pm

I got a v30 NY callback from a phone screen with a partner. He was in a rush for a meeting and we even ended a few minutes early and I still got the callback. I would say if anything, phone screeners were easier for me since they couldn't judge your body language/poise like in a in-person interview unless you are super nervous and your voice is shaking etc. Just relax and prepare like you normally would -- good luck!

Anonymous User

Re: Would screeners at this moment have a higher possibility to turn into callbacks?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:46 pm

One tip I wish I would’ve been given before my phone screeners: take a pretty significant pause after the interviewer speaks in order to make sure they’re actually done talking. I found myself accidentally cutting off interviewers when I thought they were done talking but they actually weren’t. For whatever reason, this only happened for me during phone interviews and not during in-person screeners.

Anonymous User

Re: Would screeners at this moment have a higher possibility to turn into callbacks?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:03 pm

would also appreciate some advice on this- I've been getting nothing but phone screeners via MM (even though, in some cases, the office is literally a block away). Just to calm some nerves, some times the phone call is only to make sure you're an actual human being... that can speak sentences. One screener I had yesterday first started out explaining the summer program for about 5 minutes, then asked me 2-3 questions about my resume, and said "okay we'd like to invite you to our office for a callback". This was a V20- so sometimes it's just a formality.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:53 pm

OP:

Thank y'all for sharing your advice/stories! I am now feeling much better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:51 pm

Another tip: have your printed resume in front of you so you're not reading off of a screen and maybe a notebook on the side to jot down any notes or questions you might have.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:26 pm

personal experience would be yes -- so far, my screener to cb rate is 100% from MM, and already got 2 offers (no rejection yet) both v50. I struck out as a T14 transfer.

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:13 pm

Short answer is yes. If you're getting screeners and callbacks right now, it's probably because the office is struggling to fill their class so your chances are probably better than average.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:45 pm

Not OP but I had my phone screener today and the interviewer didn't ask a single question about myself and just kept asking me what questions I have about the firm...do you think this is a good or bad sign?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”