Multiple lateral moves up to Cravath scale Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Compadre

New

Multiple lateral moves up to Cravath scale

Post by Compadre » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:50 am

For those who’ve lateralled more than once, from shit to mid law to am law to cravath scale biglaw (or something similar) what are your experiences a have you found the moves have hurt your career? Do you know anyone who has.

Not everyone gets biglaw top of market out of oci. Seems irrational to me to work biglaw hours without top of the market pay if you can just make a move every 1-2 Years.

Any stories? Interview difficulties? Problems at new firm? Reputational issues? Thoughts?

cavalier1138

Re: Multiple lateral moves up to Cravath scale

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:57 am

Are there enough attorneys who have done this to make any feedback you get significant? Yeah, not everyone gets biglaw out of OCI, but most people who end up in biglaw did. And that seems to be true even among laterals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:37 am

I sorta did this (non-cravath-scale v100 to cravath-scale v25). I had to lose a year in seniority that I suspect I wouldn’t have had to give up if I came from a similarly ranked firm. No real problems. Litigation associates go to court way less here (almost never versus weekly at my old firm), we get way more time to write briefs, but our legal analysis needs to be much much deeper than at my non-cravath-scale v100. There are other differences but those come down to partner personalities.

My other lateral moves were through clerking so a little different than what op is proposing.

longtimelurker123

New

Post by longtimelurker123 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:52 pm

Definitely possible. I've seen all sorts of weird lateral moves. E.g., I know someone who went small law (2 years) to small/medium consulting firm (1 year) to big law v100 -- but they had to come in as a 1st year associate.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:59 pm

Plenty of biglaw firms hire attorneys from smaller firms or boutiques when they're looking for specialized/niche experience. Look at practices such as commercial L&T, construction litigation, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:07 pm

I should probably specify that I was talking about the OP's actual hypothetical (lateraling "up the ranks" from a shitlaw position to biglaw). I get that laterals exist and come from lots of different places, but it seems like the OP is targeting such a specific group that there's not going to be enough information to get a good sample.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:22 pm

Will a top firm be reluctant to hire an associate with too many moves? If there’s a pattern to the moves my guess is explaining it might be an issue but people would understand and it wouldn’t be a deterrent to being hired.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”