Failed a course my last semester of law school, did not graduate with my class... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mexicayotl

New

Failed a course my last semester of law school, did not graduate with my class...

Post by mexicayotl » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:42 am

Hi folks.

In my final semester of 3L in spring 2017, I failed a 5 credit class. I have no idea what happened. Totally dumbfounded. This F was a complete aberration compared to my other grades-prior to this my lowest grade at the law school was a B (which is what my school curves to). Devastated doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. A couple months ago, I reached out to the professor who failed me via email asking to meet for constructive criticism of my exam and she didn't respond.

Because of the F, I did not meet graduation requirements, and therefore could not sit for the July 2017 bar which I registered for. I had to retake the class this summer, and I passed with a B-. Unfortunately, that did not replace the F on my transcript, and I graduated this summer with a cumulative 2.87 GPA. I was so depressed that I didn't go to commencement. I feel like graduating with such a crappy GPA is not an accomplishment to celebrate.

I am currently working as a Judicial Law Clerk. I have to take the bar for the first time in February 2018, which will suck immensely because I'm also juggling a full-time job. I'm also exceedingly anxious because February bar passage rates are historically much lower than July. To add to the anxiety, people who graduate at the bottom of the class are more likely to fail the bar exam.

Can I salvage my career and bounce back from this? I had a pretty strong GPA before spring grades came in.

Anonymous User

Re: Failed a course my last semester of law school, did not graduate with my class...

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:13 am

Disputing your grade would have been the right thing to do. If the professor did not answer then an email or call to whoever is above her would have been the right next step. I would have never accepted an F without explanation. Unless you literally did not take the exam F’s are rare in law school. professors do make mistakes on exams.

mexicayotl

New

Re: Failed a course my last semester of law school, did not graduate with my class...

Post by mexicayotl » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Disputing your grade would have been the right thing to do. If the professor did not answer then an email or call to whoever is above her would have been the right next step. I would have never accepted an F without explanation. Unless you literally did not take the exam F’s are rare in law school. professors do make mistakes on exams.
I made a good faith effort on the exam, and typed for almost the full six hours allotted. The Dean of Students said that the grade was justified (i.e. there wasn't a glitch or clerical error). In any case, I already obtained my JD, so there's nothing I can do to change the grade.

Just wanted to know what to do going forward in terms of my career, which seems really bleak. :cry:

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:22 am

well, at least you have a job. there are ppl that don't have f's on their transcript that are jobless, so that's a win.

the point about disputing the grades is to get a somewhat plausible justification for the F because as it stands right now, you have no idea why you got the F. in interviews, the employer will inevitably ask you about the F, and you don't have an answer.

mexicayotl

New

Post by mexicayotl » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:28 am

pancakes3 wrote:well, at least you have a job. there are ppl that don't have f's on their transcript that are jobless, so that's a win.

the point about disputing the grades is to get a somewhat plausible justification for the F because as it stands right now, you have no idea why you got the F. in interviews, the employer will inevitably ask you about the F, and you don't have an answer.

I emailed the professor over the summer and she didn't respond. I guess I'll reach out again, if only for the sake of closure.

Is my career toast? Do I still have a shot at employment after my clerkship?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:18 pm

mexicayotl wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:well, at least you have a job. there are ppl that don't have f's on their transcript that are jobless, so that's a win.

I emailed the professor over the summer and she didn't respond. I guess I'll reach out again, if only for the sake of closure.

I don't think your career is toast because of the F. But honestly, your explanation for the "F" is weird? If I was an employer asking you about your transcript and got that explanation, I would think you cheated on your exam. If you did cheat, then that's a different story and you should own up to it and move on. If you didn't cheat and the story is truly as you say it is, then as an employer I wouldn't want to hire someone who succumbs to defeat so easily without closure. (Especially if your job is to be an advocate)

I'm not trying to make you feel bad, sorry if it's coming across that way. I'm trying to say that an F is not really a scarlet letter. But how you explain the situation might be.

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:22 pm

I'd recommend against speculating as to your career's "bleakness." It can become never-ending.

Your top priorities right now are: (1) study smartly for the Feb. 2018 bar exam; (2) pass the Feb. 2018 bar exam; and (3) produce high quality work for your judge.

No one can accurately predict how your post-clerkship job searching will go. Tackle the priorities that are in front of you right now.

mexicayotl

New

Post by mexicayotl » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:33 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
mexicayotl wrote:

I don't think your career is toast because of the F. But honestly, your explanation for the "F" is weird? If I was an employer asking you about your transcript and got that explanation, I would think you cheated on your exam. If you did cheat, then that's a different story and you should own up to it and move on. If you didn't cheat and the story is truly as you say it is, then as an employer I wouldn't want to hire someone who succumbs to defeat so easily without closure. (Especially if your job is to be an advocate)

I'm not trying to make you feel bad, sorry if it's coming across that way. I'm trying to say that an F is not really a scarlet letter. But how you explain the situation might be.
I didn't cheat on the exam.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:38 pm

I'm curious what the course was that you failed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mexicayotl

New

Post by mexicayotl » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:00 pm

kellyfrost wrote:I'm curious what the course was that you failed.
I don't want to out myself as there are not many in my predicament. I'll just say that it was an MBE subject.

cfcm

Silver

Post by cfcm » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:02 pm

mexicayotl wrote:Hi folks.

In my final semester of 3L in spring 2017, I failed a 5 credit class. I have no idea what happened. Totally dumbfounded. This F was a complete aberration compared to my other grades-prior to this my lowest grade at the law school was a B (which is what my school curves to). Devastated doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. A couple months ago, I reached out to the professor who failed me via email asking to meet for constructive criticism of my exam and she didn't respond.

Because of the F, I did not meet graduation requirements, and therefore could not sit for the July 2017 bar which I registered for. I had to retake the class this summer, and I passed with a B-. Unfortunately, that did not replace the F on my transcript, and I graduated this summer with a cumulative 2.87 GPA. I was so depressed that I didn't go to commencement. I feel like graduating with such a crappy GPA is not an accomplishment to celebrate.

I am currently working as a Judicial Law Clerk. I have to take the bar for the first time in February 2018, which will suck immensely because I'm also juggling a full-time job. I'm also exceedingly anxious because February bar passage rates are historically much lower than July. To add to the anxiety, people who graduate at the bottom of the class are more likely to fail the bar exam.

Can I salvage my career and bounce back from this? I had a pretty strong GPA before spring grades came in.
Not sure if serious.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:07 pm

mexicayotl wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:I'm curious what the course was that you failed.
I don't want to out myself as there are not many in my predicament. I'll just say that it was an MBE subject.
Understandable but thanks for the info. I was curious if it was some type of elective type course or an actual substantive type class.

mexicayotl

New

Post by mexicayotl » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:08 pm

cfcm wrote:
mexicayotl wrote:Hi folks.

Not sure if serious.
It's a true statement. Look up the pass rates for February vs. July. Only 40% passed in February in my state last February.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cfcm

Silver

Post by cfcm » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:11 pm

Right but it's not like the test itself is harder.

mexicayotl

New

Post by mexicayotl » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:12 pm

cfcm wrote:Right but it's not like the test itself is harder.
Right, but February exam takers are a self-selected group that is more likely to fail.

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Post by IExistedOnceBefore » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:31 pm

mexicayotl wrote:
Right, but February exam takers are a self-selected group that is more likely to fail.
Yes, because a lot of them are re-takers, who are more likely to fail.

The bar should be fine. If you were going to pass it in July, you'll pass it in February.

I agree with others though, something is missing in your story. Law schools don't want to give Fs to students. It looks bad on them; since it affects career prospects and everything. Giving a C is bad enough. Why were you told it was justified?

flashdril

New

Post by flashdril » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:31 pm

mexicayotl wrote:
The point the other poster is making is that this shouldn't make you nervous because you are only taking the February test due to an aberration.

More generally, you can't really apply the aggregate statistic to you as an individual test-taker. You're in control of whether or not you pass the bar.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:34 pm

mexicayotl wrote:
Exactly. Your concern here doesn't make any sense.

I've gotta say, it makes no sense at all that you haven't been beating down your professor's door to see what happened. You emailed and didn't get a response back, and that's it?

OP, there is either some aspect of this that you are not letting on about, or you should be spending less time on TLS and more time trying to track down that professor.

mexicayotl

New

Post by mexicayotl » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:35 pm

IExistedOnceBefore wrote:
mexicayotl wrote:

The bar should be fine. If you were going to pass it in July, you'll pass it in February.

I agree with others though, something is missing in your story. Law schools don't want to give Fs to students. It looks bad on them; since it affects career prospects and everything. Giving a C is bad enough. Why were you told it was justified?
I attended class, I didn't cheat, showed up for the exam and made a good faith effort. The Dean said that I didn't earn enough points to pass the exam according to the grading rubric. Must've not spotted enough issues.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:51 pm

mexicayotl wrote:
mexicayotl wrote:

I attended class, I didn't cheat, showed up for the exam and made a good faith effort. The Dean said that I didn't earn enough points to pass the exam according to the grading rubric. Must've not spotted enough issues.
Obtaining an "F" as a 3L is next to impossible, unless you went to a TTTT. Did you?

mexicayotl

New

Post by mexicayotl » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:03 pm

sanjola wrote:
mexicayotl wrote:
mexicayotl wrote:

Obtaining an "F" as a 3L is next to impossible, unless you went to a TTTT. Did you?
I didn't attend a 4th tier school, but I don't want to get more specific than that because I don't want to out myself (there can't be more than a handful of people in my situation). The rest of my grades that semester were fine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Post by IExistedOnceBefore » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:07 pm

mexicayotl wrote:
mexicayotl wrote:

I have never seen a law school exam graded like that. It's curved, so if you were below the lowest you should still pass. I would have escalated and had in person meetings and demanded to go over the exam. It affected you from taking the bar on time, which most law schools do not want to mess with. There is more to this story and the fact that you didn't pull our every stop to figure out what happened speaks loudly.

mexicayotl

New

Post by mexicayotl » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:14 pm

mexicayotl wrote:
mexicayotl wrote:

I have never seen a law school exam graded like that. It's curved, so if you were below the lowest you should still pass. I would have escalated and had in person meetings and demanded to go over the exam. It affected you from taking the bar on time, which most law schools do not want to mess with. There is more to this story and the fact that you didn't pull our every stop to figure out what happened speaks loudly.
What's done is done. All I need to know now is how to stop the bleeding.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:20 pm

mexicayotl wrote:
mexicayotl wrote:
mexicayotl wrote:

We can't help you stop the bleeding unless we know the truth :shock:

mexicayotl

New

Post by mexicayotl » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mexicayotl wrote:
mexicayotl wrote:
mexicayotl wrote:

We can't help you stop the bleeding unless we know the truth :shock:
I said I'll reach out to the prof again. I'm nowhere near my school, so an in-person meeting is out of the question.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”