x Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
elizaalexa

New

x

Post by elizaalexa » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:25 pm

Last edited by elizaalexa on Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: REJECTIONS BITE..HELP

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:27 pm

Mass mail? No mystery here. Search "mass mail" on this forum and there will be plenty of discussion of it.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:30 pm

The fight isn't finished, and you should keep pushing. I know it's discouraging to get rejections, but hiring is in no way finished nationally. You mention Columbus and NYC, but why haven't you expanded your focus? You're top 20% where? If you're top 20% at Ohio State, it's an outside shot you can land at a big firm, but it's possible. If you're at Northwestern top 20%, you should do more mock interviews to see if you have some fatal flaw that is killing your chances. If you're top 20% at Ohio Northern, you might be out of luck at big firms minus a stroke a luck.

Hiring can be discouraging sometimes, because there is a reality that there are significantly more applicants than spots available. But you need to keep applying, keep refining your interviewing, and keep pushing your application strategy to new markets until you find a firm that will bring you on.

elizaalexa

New

x

Post by elizaalexa » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:33 pm

Last edited by elizaalexa on Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Hrm. I remember looking in Ohio way back. Aren't there a few good boutiques in the state as well? Seems like people are often hung up on getting biglaw and then forgetting that there are the local equivalents of firms like Susman and Hueston, etc.

Where else have you applied / might you be interested in?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:06 pm

lolwat wrote:Hrm. I remember looking in Ohio way back. Aren't there a few good boutiques in the state as well? Seems like people are often hung up on getting biglaw and then forgetting that there are the local equivalents of firms like Susman and Hueston, etc.

OP transferred from OSU awhile back. Have you tried Cleveland or Cincy? Much less competitive than Columbus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:22 am

Listen, don't let it get to you

I did PLIP, OCI, mass mail, 3L OCI

I was pretty sure something was wrong with me. I kept getting screeners but no callbacks. I think I had about 50 screeners total, 3-4 callbacks, and no offers. I had an offer from a place that gave no full-time offers for its summers.

Fast forward. I'm graduated. I spent a year working at a firm I didn't enjoy. I'm on the job market now but I'm killing it in interviews.

1. You need to understand why you are messing up and fix it
2. Keep trying. Trust me, I know it's frustrating. My 50th interview was no better than my first and it was frustrating because I kept practicing and wasn't getting better. I took a year "off" (as in I didn't focus too much on the job search, enjoyed life, etc.) and naturally became more outgoing and more pleasant to be around in general. This translated to better interviewing.

Don't worry. Not getting a great first job isn't the be all end all. It will work out if you hustle.

elizaalexa

New

Post by elizaalexa » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:58 am

Last edited by elizaalexa on Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

elizaalexa

New

x

Post by elizaalexa » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:01 pm

x
Last edited by elizaalexa on Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:43 pm

elizaalexa wrote:Good advice from both. I am originally from WV and have been applying there as well but I am struggling with other markets as there are few postings on simplicity. I need to figure out the whole mass mail thing (I had never heard of this until yesterday...)
Where have you applied in WV?
The problem with these markets is there are not that many "big firms." Ohio has some, no doubt. WV, well... You have the oddly named Steptoe & Johnson PLLC or whatever it is (not to be confused with the Steptoe in DC) but the best firms tend to be smaller I think.
Probably not comfortable posting too much more about WV (feel free to PM) but check Bailey & Glasser at least. No idea if you'd qualify per se since they seem to focus on stealing all the people who clerked for federal judges there, but they were expanding last I heard.
Mass mailing is essentially looking up every firm in existence and sending your stuff to their recruiting (or hiring partner or whomever) rather than waiting for a posting on simplicity etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:09 pm

Practiced in Ohio. OP, Top 20% isn't a lock for biglaw work out of Ohio State (I know top 10% who didn't get it). Now in saying that, don't get discouraged. You need to expand your search to any Amlaw 200 firm in Ohio, I'd also suggest hitting up OSU alums in every market you would consider. It's August, you have time but you need to accelerate the process and pull in any connections to people or places you have.

elizaalexa

New

x

Post by elizaalexa » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:45 pm

x
Last edited by elizaalexa on Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:16 am

elizaalexa wrote:
foregetaboutdre wrote:
lolwat wrote:Hrm. I remember looking in Ohio way back. Aren't there a few good boutiques in the state as well? Seems like people are often hung up on getting biglaw and then forgetting that there are the local equivalents of firms like Susman and Hueston, etc.

OP transferred from OSU awhile back. Have you tried Cleveland or Cincy? Much less competitive than Columbus.

Good advice from both. I am originally from WV and have been applying there as well but I am struggling with other markets as there are few postings on simplicity. I need to figure out the whole mass mail thing (I had never heard of this until yesterday...)
Look up every AMLaw firm in OH/WV and just apply via their website. No need to wait for symplicity. Career services probably also has a list of all mid to biglaw firms in OH and WV. Good luck.

Another thing is to like go on the cheesy best lawyers/us news rankings and search by practice area. Sometimes you'll find like a 15 person firm you didn't know existed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”