Is it okay to ask a partner that you've talked to for timeline Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it okay to ask a partner that you've talked to for timeline

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:24 pm

Had a screener with a firm recently. Is it okay to email a partner that I've talked to and ask when they'll be getting around to making callbacks? Or is that more apt to go poorly or otherwise do nothing at all?

jingosaur

Gold

Re: Is it okay to ask a partner that you've talked to for timeline

Post by jingosaur » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:27 pm

If you have an offer that you need to make a decision on soon, it's fine to ask. If you're just impatient, it's probably not worth reaching out.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a screener with a firm recently. Is it okay to email a partner that I've talked to and ask when they'll be getting around to making callbacks? Or is that more apt to go poorly or otherwise do nothing at all?
Ask if you want. It's harmless. There's a decent chance that the partner doesn't respond, particularly if the firm has already decided that they're not interested.

Stalemated

New

Post by Stalemated » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:47 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had a screener with a firm recently. Is it okay to email a partner that I've talked to and ask when they'll be getting around to making callbacks? Or is that more apt to go poorly or otherwise do nothing at all?
Ask if you want. It's harmless. There's a decent chance that the partner doesn't respond, particularly if the firm has already decided that they're not interested.
Yep. And on the other hand, I know of at least one person who turned this kind of email into an offer.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:09 pm

Stalemated wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Yep. And on the other hand, I know of at least one person who turned this kind of email into an offer.
What do you mean "turned into an offer?" How do you know that this person wasn't going to get a callback regardless?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”