Immigration Law course helpful for employment? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RioGrandeLaw

New

Immigration Law course helpful for employment?

Post by RioGrandeLaw » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:46 pm

Rising 2L here.

I am seeing that a LOT of Biglaw/Midlaw firms list immigration work in their practice areas. In my part of the country though, this is usually handled by small/solo practices, and almost always by a Spanish speaker.

I am angling towards a health law/medmal career. However, my school has excellent immigration law courses. Should I take one as a back-pocket, this-might-be-helpful-at-some-point thing? Or is the time better spent on focusing on other areas of the law that are more interesting to me and more in keeping with my career goals? I do speak a foreign language, but it's not Spanish, and probably would only be useful in some place like NYC or maybe Oregon.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Re: Immigration Law course helpful for employment?

Post by GoneSouth » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:37 pm

Not sure what you're referring to about BigLaw/Midlaw referencing immigration work, this certainly isn't a significant focus of most big firms. That said, many firms have pro bono immigration opportunities, so taking a class might help you with that at a practical level. Also, personally, I found immigration law interesting since it's such a salient political issue these days.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”