Summer Associate Class of 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where are you working this summer?

NYC
27%
DC
8%
LA
7%
Chicago
9%
Boston
5%
Texas
12%
San Fransisco
8%
Atlanta
3%
Philly
5%
Other
18%

Total votes: 260

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2017

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue May 16, 2017 10:35 am

axel.foley wrote:
JustMe83 wrote:What is the consensus on wearing a white tee under button down shirts? I always do this when buttoning up for a suit/tie, but I'm working at a business casual firm so the top button will usually be open, and I feel like it looks decidedly dorky and low class to have a white t collar popping out from under, say, a blue or lavender shirt. But at the same time I don't want to risk sweating through my button down and the tee gives some nice protection from that. Would wearing a white tank top instead work, or is that some sort of faux pas?
V neck undershirts will solve your problem. I would not go for a tank top (I assume you mean a wife beater) as that seems odd with business attire.
V neck is the correct answer. They look better when wearing a tie as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2017 12:37 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
axel.foley wrote:
JustMe83 wrote:What is the consensus on wearing a white tee under button down shirts? I always do this when buttoning up for a suit/tie, but I'm working at a business casual firm so the top button will usually be open, and I feel like it looks decidedly dorky and low class to have a white t collar popping out from under, say, a blue or lavender shirt. But at the same time I don't want to risk sweating through my button down and the tee gives some nice protection from that. Would wearing a white tank top instead work, or is that some sort of faux pas?
V neck undershirts will solve your problem. I would not go for a tank top (I assume you mean a wife beater) as that seems odd with business attire.
What's the solution beyond anti-persperint and a tshirt for generally preventing pitting in the summer? Putting a white shirt underneath seems to only create more body heat and sweat, so while it reduces the issue, it is not nearly enough. Is there any way to really reduce when you have to wear a jacket too?

ETA: Anon cause shameful

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue May 16, 2017 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
What's the solution beyond anti-persperint and a tshirt for generally preventing pitting in the summer? Putting a white shirt underneath seems to only create more body heat and sweat, so while it reduces the issue, it is not nearly enough. Is there any way to really reduce when you have to wear a jacket too?

https://www.thompsontee.com/

also for all you undershirt wearers I think grey is generally a better look/less visible than white

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue May 16, 2017 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
axel.foley wrote:

I'm a HORRIBLE sweater, and have become pretty adept at hiding it. Anyway, as a summer, I kept an extra undershirt in my office and would change it if necessary (sometimes necessary if I walked to work on a particularly humid day, or went out to lunch somewhere that required a bit of a walk). I also would wear a sport coat -- counterintuitive but hid the armpits and back.. I also carried a folded up paper towel (name brand shit only) in my pocket to wipe my forehead if necessary.

... I'll go curl up in a ball of shame now.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Tue May 16, 2017 1:54 pm

mods please merge with fashion threads. for fucks sake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PvblivsScipio

Bronze

Post by PvblivsScipio » Tue May 16, 2017 1:57 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
axel.foley wrote:

I'm a HORRIBLE sweater, and have become pretty adept at hiding it. Anyway, as a summer, I kept an extra undershirt in my office and would change it if necessary (sometimes necessary if I walked to work on a particularly humid day, or went out to lunch somewhere that required a bit of a walk). I also would wear a sport coat -- counterintuitive but hid the armpits and back.. I also carried a folded up paper towel (name brand shit only) in my pocket to wipe my forehead if necessary.

... I'll go curl up in a ball of shame now.
I'm 100% serious here - shave your pits. I know, it sounds unmanly, but it helps so much. It doesn't reduce the amount you sweat, but I found that sweat really gets trapped in your armpit hair and that causes pit stains that never seem to want to go away.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue May 16, 2017 3:02 pm

Johann wrote:mods please merge with fashion threads. for fucks sake.
calm the fuck down man, the summer hasn't started for most people yet so this is what people are concerned about right now and this thread could be useful at some later point for other non-fashion related questions and discussions

axel.foley

Bronze

Post by axel.foley » Tue May 16, 2017 3:09 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

https://www.thompsontee.com/

also for all you undershirt wearers I think grey is generally a better look/less visible than white
+100 for Thompson tee. It literally solved this problem entirely for me. I never have to worry about it anymore. It has been a huge confidence boost and removed the need for other forms of mitigation, like keeping an extra under shirt.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue May 16, 2017 3:23 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Johann wrote:mods please merge with fashion threads. for fucks sake.
calm the fuck down man, the summer hasn't started for most people yet so this is what people are concerned about right now and this thread could be useful at some later point for other non-fashion related questions and discussions
Also this thread is great insight into learning what SA's freak out about so I know exactly what to offhandedly comment on to upset them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 17, 2017 8:27 am

I bought DRI to help with sweating and it seems to help a lot/haven't de-odorize my suits (..granted started two days ago but still) or worry that they smelled.

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Wed May 17, 2017 8:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:I bought DRI to help with sweating and it seems to help a lot/haven't de-odorize my suits (..granted started two days ago but still) or worry that they smelled.
its been like 60 degrees in NY the past few days . . .

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed May 17, 2017 8:58 am

MurdockLLP wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I bought DRI to help with sweating and it seems to help a lot/haven't de-odorize my suits (..granted started two days ago but still) or worry that they smelled.
It's gonna be 92 in DC today and I need to wear a suit to a formal event where I'll be expected to awkwardly socialize (not starting till next week). Ordered some thompson tees to help with the sweat but they won't show up for another couple of days. This is gonna be terrible.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed May 17, 2017 9:19 am

Hand wrote:where I'll be expected to awkwardly socialize
Good they're setting your socialization expectations so low at least. Nonawkward socialization might have been a challenge.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Wed May 17, 2017 9:56 am

Capitol_Idea wrote: Also this thread is great insight into learning what SA's freak out about so I know exactly what to offhandedly comment on to upset them.
Great strategy. I will adapt it to cull the herd in my class and ensure an offer through attrition.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed May 17, 2017 11:02 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Hand wrote:where I'll be expected to awkwardly socialize
Good they're setting your socialization expectations so low at least. Nonawkward socialization might have been a challenge.
My apologies for the scope ambiguity there, I'll be expected to socialize, it'll be awkward, I assume they expect that it'll be at least somewhat awkward in the purely descriptive sense, not sure about what the expectations are normatively speaking

fistfullofdollhairs

New

Post by fistfullofdollhairs » Wed May 17, 2017 11:07 pm

Basically ran over a partner while racing to get to the shuttle. I'm off to a great start.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Wed May 17, 2017 11:14 pm

MurdockLLP wrote:
You picked a bad day to post this...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

August Wilson

Silver

Post by August Wilson » Wed May 17, 2017 11:23 pm

For all you collar, cuff, and pit stainers out there.

http://m.saks.com/pd.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Ep ... 0088350464

I've also seen it at j crew. It's pretty awesome.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu May 18, 2017 11:32 am

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 am

Gray wrote:Took 4 days, but I am now TLSing in my browser.
Took me 2. As in, started on day 2.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu May 18, 2017 11:37 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ookoshi

Bronze

Post by ookoshi » Thu May 18, 2017 12:16 pm

axel.foley wrote:
Yeah, no to tank tops, use v-necks if you about the undershirt showing. The rule I was taught (no idea if it's right) with dress shirts was to only leave the collar unbuttoned if it was a point or spread collar shirt, in which case even a crew neck undershirt was usually fully covered. With a button down collar however, I was taught to leave the top non-collar button unbuttoned as well. My solution was just to not wear button down collar shirts to work.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu May 18, 2017 1:01 pm

ookoshi wrote:
axel.foley wrote:
Yeah, no to tank tops, use v-necks if you about the undershirt showing. The rule I was taught (no idea if it's right) with dress shirts was to only leave the collar unbuttoned if it was a point or spread collar shirt, in which case even a crew neck undershirt was usually fully covered. With a button down collar however, I was taught to leave the top non-collar button unbuttoned as well. My solution was just to not wear button down collar shirts to work.
pretty sure the rule is to unbutton at least 3 buttons

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu May 18, 2017 1:02 pm

Gray wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
Gray wrote:Took 4 days, but I am now TLSing in my browser.
Took me 2. As in, started on day 2.
This is only my second day actually working so I guess I shouldn't give myself more credit than I deserve.
it's your self control that makes you worthy of dat v10 preftige

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu May 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”