The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Diamond

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by 20160810 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:11 pm

Omerta wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Update: got email telling me they're taking a long time, to keep waiting for a while, and to not accept anything without contacting them first. Definitely better than rejection.
Translation: we don't want to commit to hiring someone this far in advance, but we're interested in hiring you.

Sounds like good news to me bro. Hope it pans out for you.
Yeah, this is what it sounds like to me too. Much better than a rejection.

Has anyone been keeping an updated list of firms posting on symplicity looking to hire 3Ls? You guys should be doing that ITT if you're not already.

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:55 pm

SBL wrote:
Omerta wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Update: got email telling me they're taking a long time, to keep waiting for a while, and to not accept anything without contacting them first. Definitely better than rejection.
Translation: we don't want to commit to hiring someone this far in advance, but we're interested in hiring you.

Sounds like good news to me bro. Hope it pans out for you.
Yeah, this is what it sounds like to me too. Much better than a rejection.

Has anyone been keeping an updated list of firms posting on symplicity looking to hire 3Ls? You guys should be doing that ITT if you're not already.
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=192744

It's nice to keep the bitching and substantive information separately.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:13 am

Trying to figure my life out. Been fortunate to have pretty awesome internships and pt employment opps every semester I've been in school and during the summer. ALL have been entertainment related. NONE have been SA offers from firms. Graduating in may....sinking into depression..NO luck with OCI.

Just applying for everything I see at this point. In house doesn't hire usually straight outta Law school...firms interviewing at my school want top 10...

Mass mail over Christmas break?

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:53 am

Holy shit this barzam stuff sucks. Thank god I'm a little babby who went straight k-jd. C&F penalizes you for having experience/assets. This is the one time where it's helpful to have neither.
Anonymous User wrote:Trying to figure my life out. Been fortunate to have pretty awesome internships and pt employment opps every semester I've been in school and during the summer. ALL have been entertainment related. NONE have been SA offers from firms. Graduating in may....sinking into depression..NO luck with OCI.

Just applying for everything I see at this point. In house doesn't hire usually straight outta Law school...firms interviewing at my school want top 10...

Mass mail over Christmas break?
Maybe you should expand your horizons to fields of law that are hiring very few people rather than nobody. I would also lay off the ellipses...

As for actual advice, what is "entertainment related?" Soft IP? Keep working on that; spin any IP lit work you've done as part of a general interest in litigation. Contract negotiation? Spin that towards anything related to corporate work. If you've had all these awesome internships and part time gigs, then you should be leveraging your contacts there for potential opportunities. Since you've worked in entertainment, I'll assume you're not a huge aspie and understand networking. Start doing shit now and don't stop til you lock something down.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:55 am

Just got a rejection from a firm i interviewed with two weeks ago. Large international firm, small US office, market pay. Had vast experience in their practice area (both before and during law school), interview went really well. SOOOOO BUMMED and now feel helpless. Felt like this was my last chance at a market paying firm. Le sigh...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawloser22

Bronze

Post by lawloser22 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a rejection from a firm i interviewed with two weeks ago. Large international firm, small US office, market pay. Had vast experience in their practice area (both before and during law school), interview went really well. SOOOOO BUMMED and now feel helpless. Felt like this was my last chance at a market paying firm. Le sigh...
Me too, same firm. Maybe they didnt end up taking anyone...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:33 pm

lawloser22 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got a rejection from a firm i interviewed with two weeks ago. Large international firm, small US office, market pay. Had vast experience in their practice area (both before and during law school), interview went really well. SOOOOO BUMMED and now feel helpless. Felt like this was my last chance at a market paying firm. Le sigh...
Me too, same firm. Maybe they didnt end up taking anyone...
I PMed ya.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:51 pm

I am thinking it will be time to turn up the mass mailing effort during the winter break. I don't see much happening now.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am thinking it will be time to turn up the mass mailing effort during the winter break. I don't see much happening now.
Pretty much

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:15 pm

stick in there folks - just landed a gig after stacks and stacks of rejections. There are still things out there. landed a gig in a more remote area for post-graduation at market (which is not that much in the state) and a great group of attorneys where I could have a life outside work. Perhaps not the most desirable location - but its a start and experience. From what ppl have told me, take any job with experience, because while hiring entry-level is weak, lateral market is still strong.

Shit will work out if you all keep grinding. I landed my gig through a regional OCI program and just really hit it off with the interviewers.

Good luck folks!

I think some secondary regions are still looking to grab some students who may have slipped through the cracks of big law hiring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:06 pm

I got fucked by a firm who was just playing with me. They said they were looking to hire a 3L. Spent a week preparing and doing interviews with them. Finally they sent the rejection saying they think they got enough people from the summer class.

WTF...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got fucked by a firm who was just playing with me. They said they were looking to hire a 3L. Spent a week preparing and doing interviews with them. Finally they sent the rejection saying they think they got enough people from the summer class.

WTF...
Which firm? or at least general location?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got fucked by a firm who was just playing with me. They said they were looking to hire a 3L. Spent a week preparing and doing interviews with them. Finally they sent the rejection saying they think they got enough people from the summer class.

WTF...
Sucks but seems like it would be an unfortunately common situation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:29 pm

Supposed to hear back from my firm in October. Debating whether or not to email today or wait until Thursday.

Needles and pins, needles and pins.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:51 pm

WTF...
Yep, happened to me as well. Sucked big time.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:55 pm

kalvano wrote:Supposed to hear back from my firm in October. Debating whether or not to email today or wait until Thursday.

Summer firm waiting? Wrong thread bro.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:02 pm

rad lulz wrote:
kalvano wrote:Supposed to hear back from my firm in October. Debating whether or not to email today or wait until Thursday.

I'm technically jobless and looking.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:07 pm

kalvano wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Fair nuff. Gotta keep looking until the offer is in hand.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:10 pm

kalvano wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Also I wouldn't pressure em now. At smaller shops finances are a large concern. Hinting that you need a decision soon (even if you don't) could lead to a speedy "no."

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:15 pm

rad lulz wrote:
kalvano wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Also I wouldn't pressure em now. At smaller shops finances are a large concern. Hinting that you need a decision soon (even if you don't) could lead to a speedy "no."

I'm not. They said I would get a decision in October. I won't email until Monday.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:17 pm

If there's one thing I learned about firm deadlines it's that they mean jack shit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:03 pm

rad lulz wrote:If there's one thing I learned about firm deadlines it's that they mean jack shit.
I was told "a week or two" when my SA ended in August, and then was made to marinate in my own anxiety until I finally got no-offered around Halloween

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:If there's one thing I learned about firm deadlines it's that they mean jack shit.
I was told "a week or two" when my SA ended in August, and then was made to marinate in my own anxiety until I finally got no-offered around Halloween
Atrocious.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:44 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Atrocious.
This. What a pure shit thing to do.

Here's hoping I pick up a CALI or two come December to spruce up the rez for dat January job hunt.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:54 pm

TTH wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Atrocious.
This. What a pure shit thing to do.

Here's hoping I pick up a CALI or two come December to spruce up the rez for dat January job hunt.
Yeah after the stress of this semester I don't see that happening.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”