Lets Talk Seattle... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any impressions from K&L given their current troubles?
Still in school, so take this with a grain of salt:

I've spoken with many corp. attorneys working elsewhere in Seattle and they consider K&L to be a top dog for large, general corporate work (not as specialized as WSGR/Fenwick). In terms of the overall health of K&L, I wouldn't worry as much about the Seattle office. When it comes time for K&L to "trim the fat" as they would say, it wouldn't start in one of the more consistently profitable and rapidly growing markets. They also seem to be consistent in 100% offering recently, which is more common given the contracted sizes of Seattle summer classes.

With that being said, starting salary is 127.5 with bonuses @ 1950. I would be more concerned about the likelihood of working much longer hours for a minimal bump in pay compared to other firms, but exit options and ymmv.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:45 am

my interviewer said something like "we like to make sure you get lots of writing assignments because that's how we evaluate offers"

i was going to ask about the no offer sitch but ran out of time

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:40 pm

Attend T14 school & have extensive ties to Seattle (UG, lived there whole life) and have had only 1 CB for the 9 Seattle firms I interviewed with. Either my screeners were terrible, or this market is extremely slow. Anybody else having luck? What was the average time between screen and CB if you had one?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:55 pm

I have the same ties. I've gotten 2 CBs, but silence from 3, and haven't heard of anyone else hearing back either. The silence includes Perkins

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:06 pm

Above poster here.

Interesting. I haven't heard from Perkins either, or K&L, yet I've had friends from Seattle-based schools have CB's with both firms. Maybe those firms are just slow to contact schools outside the region? Nonetheless, GL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the K&L/DWT callback recipient, would you mind sharing which school you're from?
Oops just saw this.

HYS, strong ties.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:37 pm

Well this is timely.

Same poster as before (with the 2 CBs/3 pending including Perkins). Just heard from Perkins.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:39 pm

what did perkins say?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:40 pm

CB. I also got a "please fill out this application" email today but haven't filled it out yet

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:44 pm

1CB person here, congrats. Ironic timing. Let's hope one is coming my way soon! I did not get that email, which may be telling of my future at Perkins (or lack thereof)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:54 pm

Has anyone had any success using being an Oregonian as a tie?
Applied to a lot of Seattle firms but absolutely no good news at all for three weeks, with one rejection.

I understand that saying "oh I grew up in Pacific Northwest, so I would love to practice there" as an Oregonian can be easily seen as a BS for Seattle firms, but still...

Edited to clarify: Currently not at an Oregon school, but one of the East Coast T14 schools.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:26 pm

^I don't think you'll be that successful with that strategy. Did you mass mail Pdx firms? Why are you shooting for Seattle? I'd play up whatever reason that is (want to work in a large city, want to be close to tech, significant other).

If you have yet to mass mail Seattle, I would do it now. They are absolutely still making callbacks. If you haven't mass mailed though, one thing I'd suggest doing is picking up a throwaway phone (you can get them for like $10) with a 206 or 425 number, and maybe reformatting your resume so it doesn't say "OR" fifty times (if it does).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:31 pm

^ I agree. or get a google voice number. I think the PNW ties may help, but don't keep it at that because there are plenty of firms in Portland. There has to be a reason why you are choosing Seattle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:36 pm

...like corporate work. The pdx legal market is tiny, so playing up the corporate market size and some sort of interest in tech/start-up is credited.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^I don't think you'll be that successful with that strategy. Did you mass mail Pdx firms? Why are you shooting for Seattle? I'd play up whatever reason that is (want to work in a large city, want to be close to tech, significant other).

If you have yet to mass mail Seattle, I would do it now. They are absolutely still making callbacks. If you haven't mass mailed though, one thing I'd suggest doing is picking up a throwaway phone (you can get them for like $10) with a 206 or 425 number, and maybe reformatting your resume so it doesn't say "OR" fifty times (if it does).

Slightly better exit options, slightly better compensation (especially considering tax), and a few other things draw me to Seattle.

Yes, when I said "I applied," that meant mass-mailing. Mass-mailed almost every single sizable law firms in Seattle.
Also mass-mailed almost all PDX firms. Only one screener and one rejection.

I don't know why my yield is so low. It's clearly not my resume's fault, grades or anything, as I am already biglaw secure with NYC firms. I was just hoping to have a chance to start in PNW, where I eventually want to go back.

Maybe there's something in my resume that makes me look like someone who might not fit in, despite the fact that my resume yells PNW.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:48 pm

It's just a brutal market. Don't get discouraged, but realize that there's almost no resume out there that's going to get a lot of Seattle interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:58 pm

What about, say, top 25% from UW?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:42 am

Anyone know if expiring offers are of any use in expediting Seattle CB/dings? I know it's a ridiculously slow market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:56 am

Anyone know if expiring offers are of any use in expediting Seattle CB/dings? I know it's a ridiculously slow market.
Was told by Seattle firm after CB to let them know of pending offers from other firms but other than that, not sure. This market is SOOO slow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:15 pm

Perkins ding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:44 pm

K&L Callback via email.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:57 pm

K&L Gates CB. Via email.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:21 pm

Stoel cb (Seattle) via email; screener two weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:50 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

redtalun

New

Post by redtalun » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had any success using being an Oregonian as a tie?
Applied to a lot of Seattle firms but absolutely no good news at all for three weeks, with one rejection.

I understand that saying "oh I grew up in Pacific Northwest, so I would love to practice there" as an Oregonian can be easily seen as a BS for Seattle firms, but still...

Edited to clarify: Currently not at an Oregon school, but one of the East Coast T14 schools.
You will be pressed on your ties - e.g., interviewer will ask where you went to high school.
Anonymous User wrote:What about, say, top 25% from UW?
Not good enough for Seattle biglaw without something more- keep in mind most firms only end up hiring 1-2 UW students so you really need to stand out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”