Law Student Membership in the ABA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A shot in the dark

New

Law Student Membership in the ABA

Post by A shot in the dark » Wed May 23, 2012 8:10 pm

Is it worth joining the ABA as a student? It's only $20, but if it is a useless thing to have on a resume and doesn't provide any significant networking opportunities, I have no desire to throw away money...

The Duck

Bronze

Re: Law Student Membership in the ABA

Post by The Duck » Wed May 23, 2012 8:11 pm

Don't put it on your resume. However, you get both the ABA journal and the student journal in the mail and I've found both to be worth the $20.

smittytron3k

Bronze

Post by smittytron3k » Wed May 23, 2012 9:14 pm

You get some pretty good discounts (Hertz & Brooks Brothers Corporate memberships are the best IMO) on top of the magazines; if you use either discount once, the membership should pretty much pay for itself.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2012 10:17 pm

You are going to pay to join the organization that is screwing law students & recent grads across the board? I surely would not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2012 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You are going to pay to join the organization that is screwing law students & recent grads across the board? I surely would not.
Explain please?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed May 23, 2012 11:14 pm

brooks brothers discount is pretty solid, I might join. I need some new stuff.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed May 23, 2012 11:38 pm

As others have said, it's worth the $20 for the Herz and Brooks Bros. memberships. Outside of that, you get spammy email and dull magazines.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:53 pm

You get a discount on your sprint phone bill.

anseladams

New

Post by anseladams » Thu May 24, 2012 7:21 am

It is an honor and a privilege to greet you on behalf of our entire executive team. As a member of the ABA Law Student Division, we trust that you will frequent this site. It is constantly updated for your benefit with information that is timely and critical. Additionally, this site serves a resource for you to learn and gain access to the many benefits provided by the American Bar Association and the Law Student Division. :P

SPAM

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 26, 2012 2:37 pm

Can we get a sprint discount for existing accounts?

IFoughtTheLaw

New

Post by IFoughtTheLaw » Mon May 28, 2012 4:16 pm

Biggest waste of $ ever. They send you some horribly shitty magazines that I never read.

There is a Hertz discount and an option for health insurance (cheap, but more expensive than my school), but I never used it.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Mon May 28, 2012 5:44 pm

If you can swallow the bile at the constant cheerleading for schools that should never have been opened, I've found it to be worthwhile, especially if you join a committee in your practice area. I met some contacts that I never would have otherwise.

linquest

Bronze

Post by linquest » Mon May 28, 2012 9:56 pm

It's worth it if you actually do something with it as opposed to merely writing "member" on your resume. The ABA helped me to get two internships and the job that I have now. I held a leadership position in one of the substantive sections through most of law school, working with attorneys across the country on several projects and meeting many more through national conferences that the ABA sent me to. Some friends/mentors that I've met through the ABA are nationally known in my legal specialty, including the heads of two federal agencies that I ended up working for. These are probably not contacts that I would have otherwise made as a student from a non-Tier 1 school outside of DC.

To make it worthwhile, you need to be strategic about how you get involved. Evaluate the different student opportunities offered-aim for ones where you might work closely with practitioners, fund you to attend meetings, and/or are in your intended specialty. When you go to meetings, you've got to really put yourself out there to network; most attorneys aren't going to approach you. It's like most voluntary organizations--you won't get anything out of it unless you actually put work into it.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Mon May 28, 2012 10:54 pm

Fyi, free membership for 2012 grads: http://apps.americanbar.org/members/graduate-form.html

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”