Let's Talk About Real Estate Law! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Let's Talk About Real Estate Law!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 01, 2012 11:39 am

Here's the dilly-yo:

I'm a 2L and will be spending this summer at a big firm. One of my rotations is in the RE group, which is apparently very well-respected in that market per Chambers. I know very little about real estate practice but the idea of it sounds interesting to me.

Does life for real estate lawyers in biglaw differ in any material way from their corporate/m&a peers? Are hours typically comparable? They seem similar to me from the outside- RE practice seems deal-driven, just with more interaction with REITS and pension funds I guess...which means that I'd expect that things could get crazy (80+ hours/wk) for brief periods before the deal closes, then hit a lull for a while after. No idea if any of this is accurate.

Did a brief search and didn't see much decent info out there on this. Now that real estate appears to be bottoming, I expect this practice area to see some modest growth in the coming interview cycles. Discuss.

Anonymous User

Re: Let's Talk About Real Estate Law!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 01, 2012 8:01 pm

Gratuitous bump for the evening crowd. Anyone with insight?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”