what makes craigslist bad? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

what makes craigslist bad?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:22 am

I have not heard of anyone being able to find something decent on craigslist, e.g., decent law firm job, good law clerk positions that lead to great references or permanent positions.

it's mostly sleazy solos and shit law firms.

or are there legitimate ones?

I think that if I were a legitimate law firm employer/partner I would not have to post a position on craigslist. I would receive many resumes on a daily or monthly basis - which means those who resort to craigslist tend to be bad employers.

zomginternets

Silver

Re: what makes craigslist bad?

Post by zomginternets » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have not heard of anyone being able to find something decent on craigslist, e.g., decent law firm job, good law clerk positions that lead to great references or permanent positions.

I think that if I were a legitimate law firm employer/partner I would not have to post a position on craigslist. I would receive many resumes on a daily or monthly basis - which means those who resort to craigslist tend to be bad employers.
Sounds like you answered your own question. If you are looking for fresh grads, you got OCI. If you're looking for laterals, it's all about networking.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:33 pm

zomginternets wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have not heard of anyone being able to find something decent on craigslist, e.g., decent law firm job, good law clerk positions that lead to great references or permanent positions.

Sounds like you answered your own question. If you are looking for fresh grads, you got OCI. If you're looking for laterals, it's all about networking.
I had a friend who got a two-year job as a paralegal at DOJ main justice via craigslist, but I think she is the exception. Might not be a bad place to find doc review work.

EliHBCU

New

Post by EliHBCU » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:16 pm

It's hit or miss. Generally most posts are not from the type of firm you would want to intern or work for (solo and/or random firms) but occasionally there are good posts.

I find that if you find a quality post, it usually means that a younger associate put the ad up rather than a partner at a firm. I say that just incase it helps you craft a cover letter if you ever see an ad you want to respond to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”