2 pg. resume Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2 pg. resume

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:31 pm

What is everyone's opinion on a resume extending the traditional one page?

The font is 11.5 times new roman and borders have been extended to its limit. I can't remove anything from my current resume because it's all relevant experience.

Just go with it?

bk1

Diamond

Re: 2 pg. resume

Post by bk1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:33 pm

Don't really need to post anon.

Is it two full pages? How relevant? Can you shorten any of the jobs?

Best thing you can do is to show it to someone who has handled a lot of resumes and ask what they think.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:42 pm

Anonymous - how mysterious - is this in case some adcomm officer is lurking and says "hey thats the guy who thought he could get away with a 2 page resume - dinged!" 8)

Anyway, 1-2 pages seems to be the standard - I'd say keep it to 1 if you can but if you'd have several years WE or a massive amount of awards and merit scholarships (or both) then dont leave out major accomplishments. Just make sure your second page justifies its existence and isnt just filler.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:48 pm

Some employers have real problems with 2 page resumes. There is value in concision. Exceptions would include things like substantial scientific experience going into a patent field, a career that involved a publication record, etc. Your resume isn't to list everything you have done, you should treat it like a highlight real. For the overwhelming majority of entering law students 1 page is more than enough space without even resorting to fancy formatting tricks.

midwestls

New

Post by midwestls » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:29 pm

I have a friend who recruits on campus for his firm. When I asked him this question, he replied "Cut it to one page and face the reality that you're just not that special. Everybody can fit on one page."

He was right, of course.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:51 pm

You should be able to describe all of your previous jobs in one sentence. I've seen resumes where people write a paragraph about each of their old jobs. This seems silly.

Jessep

New

Post by Jessep » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:58 pm

One page unless you are some incredibly rare exception. I've met people who have led impressive careers in business and law for 30-40 years and can do it in one page.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:01 pm

disco_barred wrote:Some employers have real problems with 2 page resumes. There is value in concision. Exceptions would include things like substantial scientific experience going into a patent field, a career that involved a publication record, etc. Your resume isn't to list everything you have done, you should treat it like a highlight real. For the overwhelming majority of entering law students 1 page is more than enough space without even resorting to fancy formatting tricks.
I would keep it to one page for employers. When I applied to law school, it was two pages (and I was accepted everywhere, so I don't think it hurt them). But now I have it all on one page. It's possible.

For what it's worth, I have a lot of awards, jobs, publications, etc.

You can always fit on one page.

Just include the most important info.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:03 pm

Are you public interest? PI employers aren't as strict about this and will allow/sometimes encourage 2 page resumes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”