Housing Loans Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
meraz

New

Housing Loans

Post by meraz » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:14 pm

Is there a loan people reccommend to use towards housing?

Georgiana

Silver

Re: Housing Loans

Post by Georgiana » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:37 pm

meraz wrote:Is there a loan people reccommend to use towards housing?
I use gov loans + institutional loans + grad plus loans for everything (tuition, food, housing, bills)

meraz

New

Post by meraz » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:52 pm

could you be more specific? I have used the Stafford and Grad Plus for tuition and at 8.5% for the grad plus, i don't want to use that for housing. Also, the way the Grad Plus is worded i thought it could only be used towards tuition

jaudette

New

Post by jaudette » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:55 pm

I'm not sure I understand you question. Treat all law school expenses the same using the following hierarchy:

1.Subsidized Stafford
2.Unsubsidized Stafford
3. Perkins (If Available)
4.Grad Plus
5. Private

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:55 pm

meraz wrote:could you be more specific? I have used the Stafford and Grad Plus for tuition and at 8.5% for the grad plus, i don't want to use that for housing. Also, the way the Grad Plus is worded i thought it could only be used towards tuition
I have subsidized and unsibsidized stafford loans, mckean loans, perkins loans, and grad plus loans. Grad plus can be used to cover up to the cost of attendance which includes housing and everything. If you don't want to use any of those, you can look into private loans from your lender if you have good credit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

meraz

New

Post by meraz » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:07 pm

Thanks for your help, I will take a look at those other loans.

srb

New

Post by srb » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:14 pm

meraz wrote:could you be more specific? I have used the Stafford and Grad Plus for tuition and at 8.5% for the grad plus, i don't want to use that for housing. Also, the way the Grad Plus is worded i thought it could only be used towards tuition
While the 8.5% is steeper than one you might be able to get from a private lender, it is still probably a better choice for many reasons. It's fixed rate, there is no penalty for early repayment, you can stop paying for a period if you need to bc of lost job or what have you, you can pick what repayment structure you like, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”