University of Chicago Law 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Dead Ringer

Bronze

University of Chicago Law 2012!

Post by Dead Ringer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:29 am

This is the thread for people who have decided or are on the cusp and need a little help. Also, you are welcome to discuss your love for The Law School at The University of Chicago. Get excited. This school is amazing!
Last edited by Dead Ringer on Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vealoscar

New

Re: University of Chicago Law 2012!

Post by vealoscar » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:38 am

There's already a chicago 2012 thread.

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:52 am

Thank you I couldn't find one. I didn't know there was a special forum. Noob mistake. Ouch this doesn't speak well for Chicago.

takingmytime

New

Post by takingmytime » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:09 pm

Still contemplating UofC vs CLS fwiw

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:27 pm

takingmytime wrote:Still contemplating UofC vs CLS fwiw
As someone who has been living hand to mouth in NYC for 2+ years, I think it is important to realize that your cost of living money is going to go roughly twice as far at Chicago. I was bowled over by how cheap it was out there. It is curious that my prodigality is part of why I find New York so attractive, as there is plenty to spend money on, yet you don't get enough. Chicago has all the same perks but you can live a princely existence on a budget that would barely suffice in NYC. It should be noted that morningside heights is way cheaper than the village, but they are both several orders of magnitude more expensive than even the best parts of Chicago.

After Updike, I know that feeling that people living anywhere but New York are in some since kidding. However, I could get used to kidding around with a lot less loan money while having a lot more fun.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

takingmytime

New

Post by takingmytime » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:48 pm

Dead Ringer wrote:
As someone who has been living hand to mouth in NYC for 2+ years, I think it is important to realize that your cost of living money is going to go roughly twice as far at Chicago. I was bowled over by how cheap it was out there. It is curious that my prodigality is part of why I find New York so attractive, as there is plenty to spend money on, yet you don't get enough. Chicago has all the same perks but you can live a princely existence on a budget that would barely suffice in NYC. It should be noted that morningside heights is way cheaper than the village, but they are both several orders of magnitude more expensive than even the best parts of Chicago.

After Updike, I know that feeling that people living anywhere but New York are in some since kidding. However, I could get used to kidding around with a lot less loan money while having a lot more fun.
Yeah, but CLS gave more money and has LRAP. I do, however, think I'd like UofC more.

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:07 pm

Yeah more money at Columbia would be hard to turn down. You go for the match?

takingmytime

New

Post by takingmytime » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:09 pm

Dead Ringer wrote:Yeah more money at Columbia would be hard to turn down. You go for the match?
I'm trying but the LRAP difference could be signficant... ahhh, tough choices.

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:14 pm

I have to believe that Chicago will improve its LRAP in the near future. It is a real weak spot for them IMO. I would hope we could get grandfathered in. Doesn't apply to me but still it is strange to me that they have left something hanging like that so clearly inferior to their peer schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vealoscar

New

Post by vealoscar » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:39 pm

This is the Chicago 2012 thread I spoke of:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 20&t=52503

jimm1909

New

Post by jimm1909 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:21 pm

Dead Ringer wrote:

I would have to agree ith Dead Ringer on this one. I also lived in NYC for a few years and then moved to Chicago and boy was I surprised. You can stay in Luxury Hotels Chicago for about the same price as it would be to stay in a mid-level place in NYC. This goes for renting apartments too.

If you're 50-50 on the schools id go with Chicago because of the cost of living, but if there are other considerations then its your choice.

-jim

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”