Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
phooey182

Bronze

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Post by phooey182 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:47 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:
phooey182 wrote:Fucking waitlists!

I was just accepted to U. of Connecticut. It was my original first choice, but they put me on their waitlist. So I moved to NJ, rented a place, etc. And now they offer me a spot! I told them, politely, that they could offer my spot to someone else. I'm very annoyed now.
Awww phooey! :D See what I did there?

Well congrats nevertheless!!! I mean when it's all said and done you got into your #1 choice. Some people weren't so lucky. But think of the good you're going to do allowing someone that maybe didn't get in anywhere yet to get a spot at UConn.

Any reason you picked UConn? Are you from CT? The reason I ask is because there's a chance CT may become my permanent home after graduation due to my spouces job. I certainly wouldn't mind living in CT especially somewhere between Greenwhich and New Haven. There are a decent amount of firm jobs and I've thought about maybe trying to do a summer up there to start making some connections.

Yesterday when I checked my term bill just said Zero. It didn't show any credits charged or scholarships applied.
But today I tried to check it and the page wouldn't load so maybe they're attaching the fees now.
UConn has a good ranking, employment rate and bar passage rate. It was the highest ranked school I applied to. Connecticut students can get jobs in Boston, NYC... almost anywhere in New England. The atmosphere appeared more collegial (old buildings, ivy growing, etc.). Its very different from an urban school like Rutgers. I think UConn would end up being more expensive than Rutgers. I'm sure the education at both schools is comparable. Frankly I've seen little evidence that the quality of education fluctuates between any tier 1 law schools.

Yes, its nice I got into my first choice. Now whenever I meet a UConn Law Graduate I can say, "Yea I got in there too, and I rejected their offer." Clearly the universe wanted me to attend Rutgers. And far be it from me to disagree with the universe.

anacbanana

New

Post by anacbanana » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:54 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:
phooey182 wrote:
nic_john wrote:Wouldn't that be nice if it was free!!
From what I read on the website, our Term Bills are due on Aug. 6.
They apply your student loans direct to your bill, and any scholarship money as well. Anything left over gets sent to you. The school should be sending me my check soon. :D
I don't think we get disbursements before school actually starts. Isn't there some kind of a waiting period after the first day of classes? I thought they had until like 14 days after classes to give you back any extra $$?

Not that I don't want it--I DO!!!
I was a 1L at Rutgers last year. You get your check about a week after classes start. It's a bit of a headache to get it--you have to go in person.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:58 pm

anacbanana wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:
phooey182 wrote:
nic_john wrote:Wouldn't that be nice if it was free!!
From what I read on the website, our Term Bills are due on Aug. 6.
They apply your student loans direct to your bill, and any scholarship money as well. Anything left over gets sent to you. The school should be sending me my check soon. :D
I don't think we get disbursements before school actually starts. Isn't there some kind of a waiting period after the first day of classes? I thought they had until like 14 days after classes to give you back any extra $$?

Not that I don't want it--I DO!!!
I was a 1L at Rutgers last year. You get your check about a week after classes start. It's a bit of a headache to get it--you have to go in person.
SWEET!! Drinks are on whoever gets the biggest refund!

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:16 pm

I was in Starbucks and I saw someone with a BarBri book. I was too shy to walk up and ask him if he was studying for Law School or the Bar. Did anyone sign up for those pre-first year law reviews?

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:34 pm

phooey182 wrote:I was in Starbucks and I saw someone with a BarBri book. I was too shy to walk up and ask him if he was studying for Law School or the Bar. Did anyone sign up for those pre-first year law reviews?
Nope not me! I'm not buying into the hype that I should have to study for law school before I start law school. I'm paying them more than enough money to teach me--all "good" advice says that incoming 1L's should stay away from trying to study hornbooks and bar reviews and practice outlines because it won't do as much good and relaxing and preparing.

My parents did by me a gift. They got me the set of Law in a Flash cards for the 1st year courses. I haven't opened them yet because well that too would count as studying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

anacbanana

New

Post by anacbanana » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:16 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:
phooey182 wrote:I was in Starbucks and I saw someone with a BarBri book. I was too shy to walk up and ask him if he was studying for Law School or the Bar. Did anyone sign up for those pre-first year law reviews?
Nope not me! I'm not buying into the hype that I should have to study for law school before I start law school. I'm paying them more than enough money to teach me--all "good" advice says that incoming 1L's should stay away from trying to study hornbooks and bar reviews and practice outlines because it won't do as much good and relaxing and preparing.

My parents did by me a gift. They got me the set of Law in a Flash cards for the 1st year courses. I haven't opened them yet because well that too would count as studying.
Please don't study before school starts. Each prof teaches the subject matter differently, with a unique focus and emphasis. You'll get your assignments soon enough!

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:19 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:

Hmm that's a nice gift. I'm trying to convince my mom to buy me a gift certificate to Amazon or Borders or some other place where I can buy study items and supplies. But, she insists on buying me a "real present" (her words). Apparently my mother does not think a gift certificate, cash or check constitutes a "real present". Yea, my mom is a weirdo.

I was reading about flash cards today in my "Law School for Dummies" book. I'll probably be cheap and make my own.

anacbanana

New

Post by anacbanana » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:45 pm

phooey182 wrote:
I was reading about flash cards today in my "Law School for Dummies" book. I'll probably be cheap and make my own.
I'm very pro making your own flash cards. Just like making your own outline, the process of making the cards itself helps to process the information. However, I found I only made flash cards for closed-book exams.

Once you guys get your teachers, let me know. I'm happy to share my outlines.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:21 am

anacbanana wrote:
phooey182 wrote:
I'm very pro making your own flash cards. Just like making your own outline, the process of making the cards itself helps to process the information. However, I found I only made flash cards for closed-book exams.

@anacbanana- are most exams open or closed book? Or does it depend on the professor?
What exactly does Rutgers consider closed book--no study books, no notes, no outlines or just no text books?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nicoolie

New

Post by nicoolie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:12 am

So i spoke with the famous Ms. Walton yesterday and rumor is we should be getting schedules either tomorrow or Monday. :D

anacbanana

New

Post by anacbanana » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:23 am

dapoetic1 wrote:
anacbanana wrote:
phooey182 wrote:

@anacbanana- are most exams open or closed book? Or does it depend on the professor?
What exactly does Rutgers consider closed book--no study books, no notes, no outlines or just no text books?
Closed book means you can have absolutely nothing but the test and anything the prof provides. For example, for Con Law, our prof gave us a copy of the Constitution, and for Crim, our prof gave us the statute if he wanted us to refer to something specific.

I would say most exams are open book. My track had an unusually large number of closed book exams. Out of the 6 1L exams, most people had 1, at most 2 closed book. I had 3.

Some exams are limited open book (only can bring in case book and your own outline, no notes, no sample questions, etc.) and some are entirely closed book.

For people looking for outlines (I really suggest you write your own, but using mine as a supplement can help), I had Thomas for Crim (closed), Kettle for Contracts (open), Ball for Property (closed), Bell for Torts (open), Kim for Civ Pro (limited open), Pope for Con (closed).

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:12 pm

It's a New Jersey Roundup
Looks may Mayor Booker (Newark) and Mayor Healey (JC) don't seem to be a part.
Maybe this will open Jersey up for fresh, untainted, politicians that will try and help the state.

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:48 pm

nicoolie wrote:So i spoke with the famous Ms. Walton yesterday and rumor is we should be getting schedules either tomorrow or Monday. :D
emailed I assume? I like that Rutgers emails everything. Some schools are still stuck in the '80s.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:51 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:It's a New Jersey Roundup
Maybe this will open Jersey up for fresh, untainted, politicians that will try and help the state.
Yea i read NJ has the most corrupt politicians of any state.

The number of arrests was noteworthy even for New Jersey, a state that has seen more than 130 public officials plead guilty or be convicted of corruption since 2001.
"New Jersey's corruption problem is one of the worst, if not the worst, in the nation," said Ed Kahrer, who heads the FBI's white collar and public corruption investigation division. "Corruption is a cancer that is destroying the core values of this state."

Awful.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:02 pm

phooey182 wrote:
nicoolie wrote:So i spoke with the famous Ms. Walton yesterday and rumor is we should be getting schedules either tomorrow or Monday. :D
emailed I assume? I like that Rutgers emails everything. Some schools are still stuck in the '80s.
Maybe the myRutgers portal will updated to reflect our sections and courses. Hopefully this means the new students link will be up and running soon as well.

What tracks did you guys request early or late?

nic_john

New

Post by nic_john » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:23 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:
phooey182 wrote:
Maybe the myRutgers portal will updated to reflect our sections and courses. Hopefully this means the new students link will be up and running soon as well.

I told her that I didn't have a preference... so we'll see what I get.

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:50 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:
phooey182 wrote:

early track.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OnAMission

New

Post by OnAMission » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:05 pm

I requested early track. Damn, I hope I don't get stuck with 3 closed book tests!!! :?

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:12 pm

phooey182 wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:It's a New Jersey Roundup
Yea i read NJ has the most corrupt politicians of any state.

The number of arrests was noteworthy even for New Jersey, a state that has seen more than 130 public officials plead guilty or be convicted of corruption since 2001.
"New Jersey's corruption problem is one of the worst, if not the worst, in the nation," said Ed Kahrer, who heads the FBI's white collar and public corruption investigation division. "Corruption is a cancer that is destroying the core values of this state."

Awful.
Sounds like there should plenty of work for hungry law students at the DA's office or office of the Attorney General :o

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:40 pm

Damn Anita Wilson just emailed me to remind me to get my immunization form in. Guess I gotta make some calls tomorrow to doctors.

FiatLux

New

Post by FiatLux » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:46 pm

phooey182 wrote:Damn Anita Wilson just emailed me to remind me to get my immunization form in. Guess I gotta make some calls tomorrow to doctors.
I think that email went out to everyone because I turned my immunization form in over a week ago via certified mail and tracked it to make sure it was delivered. She said in the email that she couldn't check to see who submitted their forms already so I'm guessing that was a blanket email.
Last edited by FiatLux on Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:21 pm

Yeah, blanket email. I emailed my immunization to Health Services, and then forwarded the email from them saying I was in compliance.

But since clearly you don't have your immunization stuff done--then yeah...call your doc :D

anacbanana

New

Post by anacbanana » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:02 am

OnAMission wrote:I requested early track. Damn, I hope I don't get stuck with 3 closed book tests!!! :?
There are definite advantages to closed book exams... While it's more nerve-wracking, it's more directly proportional to your preparation. My big suggestion if you do get closed exams, though, is to do as many practice exams closed book as you can, and to try to make flash cards after your outline.

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:19 am

dapoetic1 wrote:Yeah, blanket email. I emailed my immunization to Health Services, and then forwarded the email from them saying I was in compliance.

But since clearly you don't have your immunization stuff done--then yeah...call your doc :D
Stupid doctors! I called around the area, and the doctors wont do immunization and titer testing without me first becoming their 'patient' which means a physical and increased cost. I e-mailed Rutgers Health Services to see if they knew of anyplace that would just do the required testing without a lot of paperwork and exams. It's just a blood test! I really hate the hoops they make you jump through.

anacbanana

New

Post by anacbanana » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:58 am

phooey182 wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:Yeah, blanket email. I emailed my immunization to Health Services, and then forwarded the email from them saying I was in compliance.

Stupid doctors! I called around the area, and the doctors wont do immunization and titer testing without me first becoming their 'patient' which means a physical and increased cost. I e-mailed Rutgers Health Services to see if they knew of anyplace that would just do the required testing without a lot of paperwork and exams. It's just a blood test! I really hate the hoops they make you jump through.
Rutgers Health Services will do the titer test for you. You don't really need it in right away, just before grades come out in January, otherwise they block your access to grades. The Health Center is only a couple blocks from the law school, so it's easy to do between classes once you get there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”