Iowa 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
purplemonkey

New

Re: Iowa 2012

Post by purplemonkey » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:02 pm

I'm in-state and I also got the full scholarship, so now there's two of us.

hoosier1508

New

Post by hoosier1508 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:15 pm

Do your scholarships require that you stay in the Top third?

Mine does.

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:16 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:Do your scholarships require that you stay in the Top third?

Mine does.
Yes.

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:47 pm

8thnebula wrote:reputability??

What did you do, attend the George W. Bush School of Communication in the English Language? You're going to law school? Do you realize that lawyers are required to write in a clear and intelligible manner? It seems like you have some remedial work to do.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/reputability

I don't think law schools give extra credit for being a jackass. Too bad for you. I'm done with this conversation.

8thnebula

New

Post by 8thnebula » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:57 pm

Knowing the definition of a word isn't enough. You also have to know how to use it in a sentence. That means that you have to use it in a such a way that it doesn't look like you just dropped some big word in the middle of a bunch of other words in an effort to try to give people the impression that you're smart because you can use big words.

Also, people who write well don't have to resort to childish ad hominem attacks. If you don't know what an ad hominem is, I'm sure you can look it up in your free online dictionary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:04 pm

8thnebula wrote:Knowing the definition of a word isn't enough. You also have to know how to use it in a sentence. That means that you have to use it in a such a way that it doesn't look like you just dropped some big word in the middle of a bunch of other words in an effort to try to give people the impression that you're smart because you can use big words.

Also, people who write well don't have to resort to childish ad hominem attacks. If you don't know what an ad hominem is, I'm sure you can look it up in your free online dictionary.
My understanding of English grammar may not be the best...but I thought the other poster's the use of "reputability" sounded fine.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:08 pm

pomona wrote:
8thnebula wrote:Knowing the definition of a word isn't enough. You also have to know how to use it in a sentence. That means that you have to use it in a such a way that it doesn't look like you just dropped some big word in the middle of a bunch of other words in an effort to try to give people the impression that you're smart because you can use big words.

My understanding of English grammar may not be the best...but I thought the other poster's the use of "reputability" sounded fine.
My English I consider to be pretty good and I, also, found no problem with the word. Someone seems awfully defensive for really no reason. Not to mention bitter. Seriously, it's an online message board - calm down.

hoosier1508

New

Post by hoosier1508 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:24 am

Just in case you guys weren't paying attention... 8thnebula = westside. Ignore his posts.

Brick Tamland

New

Post by Brick Tamland » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:05 am

hoosier1508 wrote:Just in case you guys weren't paying attention... 8thnebula = westside. Ignore his posts.
Yeah, I gathered that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:30 am

Anyway, are you guys all going to the admitted student day?

hoosier1508

New

Post by hoosier1508 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:37 am

ColtonDLong wrote:Anyway, are you guys all going to the admitted student day?
No, I have to work. I will have to make a visit on the weekend sometime.

Anyone know how accessible the law school is on the weekend? It would be nice to walk around and get a feel for the place.

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:45 am

hoosier1508 wrote:
No, I have to work. I will have to make a visit on the weekend sometime.

Anyone know how accessible the law school is on the weekend? It would be nice to walk around and get a feel for the place.
Very. The GF and I are going to visit next week actually. If she's going to move down with me, I've got to convince her that Iowa City isn't like the rest of Iowa. She's from Minneapolis, so I've got my work cut out for me.

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:10 am

Thinking about it, but it's a long ways from where I'm living now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

8thnebula

New

Post by 8thnebula » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:17 am

Hey, hoosier1508, keep pushing your delusions. Keep in mind that most people lose their scholarships after the first year. I hope you have a backup plan for when you lose yours.

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:36 am

8thnebula wrote:Hey, hoosier1508, keep pushing your delusions. Keep in mind that most people lose their scholarships after the first year. I hope you have a backup plan for when you lose yours.
Well Westside, at least he had the numbers to get into Iowa. Your rejection wasn't your whiteness, it was your unbelievable arrogance. Back off.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:43 pm

I'm not admitted, but is there more than one day in case I don't hear until after the first one? I definitely will be going to one of them. I drove through Iowa recently, and I know IC is said to be much different, but now I need to see for myself.

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:07 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
I'm not admitted, but is there more than one day in case I don't hear until after the first one? I definitely will be going to one of them. I drove through Iowa recently, and I know IC is said to be much different, but now I need to see for myself.
I mean, there are plenty of places and Iowa that aren't stereotypical Iowa. If it wasn't for the cities, Minnesota would be the spitting image of Iowa. Des moines, Decorah (where I go to school), Dubuque, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City...these are all really livable towns and very lively (I'm from CR...the flood sort of ruined most culture we had). IC is one of the top 3 most educated cities in the country according to USNWR.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:17 pm

Iowa City is a great place to live, and definitely bucks the Iowa stereotype, for better or worse. I grew up in Des Moines and just graduated from UI after transferring in with an AA; this town is one of the two I could stand to live in in this state, the other being Des Moines. Much of the rest of the state regards Iowa City as a haven of liberal ivory tower dwellers, but it has been my experience that that image is somewhat overwrought. Granted, we do have a clique of stereotypical activist college students and townies, but what respectable college town doesn't?

Anyhow, there is much more to this town than politics. The bar/restaurant selection is outstanding, 50+ in the downtown pedestrian mall area. Rental properties are reasonably priced for the most part (though in the campus area, the rental year runs August to August almost without exception, and most places require you to renew around January; not sure if this is typical of other college towns). My wife and I have a decent three bedroom apartment for 900/mo.

As a resident, I'm hopeful I get accepted; the more I read, the more it seems like paying in-state tuition for a top 30 school would be a great money-saver right now.

A word of caution: if you do move here, DO NOT rent property from Apartments Downtown, or Apartments Near Campus (it's the same company). It is among the worst of predatory apartment managers and they will steal as much of your deposit as they can manage. They own a lot of property in this town, so if you do rent from them, just make sure you are scrupulous about noting existing damage and documenting your apartment's condition with photos. It took 6 months and a small claims case for me to get back the $200 they unlawfully withheld from me last year.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

isustudent

New

Post by isustudent » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:33 pm

I'm attending admitted students day.
Last edited by isustudent on Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:40 pm

They are taking too long with my application :(.

hoosier1508

New

Post by hoosier1508 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:11 pm

scott82 wrote:Iowa City is a great place to live, and definitely bucks the Iowa stereotype, for better or worse. I grew up in Des Moines and just graduated from UI after transferring in with an AA; this town is one of the two I could stand to live in in this state, the other being Des Moines. Much of the rest of the state regards Iowa City as a haven of liberal ivory tower dwellers, but it has been my experience that that image is somewhat overwrought. Granted, we do have a clique of stereotypical activist college students and townies, but what respectable college town doesn't?

Anyhow, there is much more to this town than politics. The bar/restaurant selection is outstanding, 50+ in the downtown pedestrian mall area. Rental properties are reasonably priced for the most part (though in the campus area, the rental year runs August to August almost without exception, and most places require you to renew around January; not sure if this is typical of other college towns). My wife and I have a decent three bedroom apartment for 900/mo.

As a resident, I'm hopeful I get accepted; the more I read, the more it seems like paying in-state tuition for a top 30 school would be a great money-saver right now.

A word of caution: if you do move here, DO NOT rent property from Apartments Downtown, or Apartments Near Campus (it's the same company). It is among the worst of predatory apartment managers and they will steal as much of your deposit as they can manage. They own a lot of property in this town, so if you do rent from them, just make sure you are scrupulous about noting existing damage and documenting your apartment's condition with photos. It took 6 months and a small claims case for me to get back the $200 they unlawfully withheld from me last year.

Hope you enjoy your visit.
Good info. So where are the good places to rent? Any idea what the rental market looks like around May?
I probably wont decide until right around April 1st. I'm still torn amongst 3 schools.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:27 pm

By May most of the campus area apartments have probably been rented, but it is by no means impossible to find good housing; more apartments get built here every year than need to be. I rent from a company called Heritage right now and have had nothing but good experiences with them, in large part due to the on-site property manager at my complex. I think the best way to go is to find smaller rental companies or private landlords with only a few properties; these are usually the ones who take care of their units and won't try to screw you out of $75 just because your oven is slightly dirty when you move out.

If I end up staying here, I'm renting a place away from campus, or at least on the law school side of the river that divides it. I know I'm getting old because I no longer cherish the ambiance of my upstairs neighbor's bass shaking my mattress at 3 a.m.; now it just pisses me off. This town will give you ample opportunity to party, if you want it, and it will give you a colorful array of extracurricular options if you want those too.

Not sure what you're in to, but the pedestrian mall generally has something to offer everyone, and is liveliest on weekends. If you prefer things quieter, the absence of students in the summer months makes Iowa City a prime location also.

Brick Tamland

New

Post by Brick Tamland » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:18 pm

If anyone has any questions regarding Iowa City feel free to PM me. I was born and raised in I.C. and currently am an undergrad at the University. I'll be attending Iowa Law next year so I will be here for at least another three years.

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:34 pm

scott82 wrote:By May most of the campus area apartments have probably been rented, but it is by no means impossible to find good housing; more apartments get built here every year than need to be. I rent from a company called Heritage right now and have had nothing but good experiences with them, in large part due to the on-site property manager at my complex. I think the best way to go is to find smaller rental companies or private landlords with only a few properties; these are usually the ones who take care of their units and won't try to screw you out of $75 just because your oven is slightly dirty when you move out.

If I end up staying here, I'm renting a place away from campus, or at least on the law school side of the river that divides it. I know I'm getting old because I no longer cherish the ambiance of my upstairs neighbor's bass shaking my mattress at 3 a.m.; now it just pisses me off. This town will give you ample opportunity to party, if you want it, and it will give you a colorful array of extracurricular options if you want those too.

Not sure what you're in to, but the pedestrian mall generally has something to offer everyone, and is liveliest on weekends. If you prefer things quieter, the absence of students in the summer months makes Iowa City a prime location also.
Whoa. I didn't know I"d need to get an apartment so soon. June is too late? Sheesh!

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:41 pm

No, not too late, you just may not get your first choice by then; if you are planning on living within walking distance of campus, you'll want to make arrangements as soon as possible, but public transportation is pretty good here, so if you can't, you'll still be fine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”