summer between college and law school Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
bishopus

New

Re: summer between college and law school

Post by bishopus » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 am

Hone ruthless gunner skills to chisel-like edge.

badlydrawn

Bronze

Post by badlydrawn » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:31 am

bishopus wrote:Hone ruthless gunner skills to chisel-like edge.
lol.

live somewhere with an extremely low cost of living and hike/camp/fish/read/sleep/drink/have sex/read/drink/sleep.

or, make a positive contribution doing some volunteer work.

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:41 pm

Hopefully I'll be coaching my team for the last time. I've coached these kids for 7 years and seen many of them grow up. It'll be hard to leave them. :(

waldodanto

New

Post by waldodanto » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:50 pm

I plan on blowing all of my graduation money on a backpacking trip to europe for a month or so.

Rainmaker11

New

Post by Rainmaker11 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:13 pm

Italy and Greece.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chitown825

Bronze

Post by chitown825 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:37 pm

waldodanto wrote:I plan on blowing all of my graduation money on a backpacking trip to europe for a month or so.
Graduation money? What is this, high school?

green

Bronze

Post by green » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:27 pm

I took a cross country road trip last summer for about a month, and I'd highly recommend it. I basically bought a national park pass and drove from park to park camping and hiking. Seeing that much of America within such a small time span is pretty incredible.

thundy84

New

Post by thundy84 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:23 pm

chitown825 wrote:
waldodanto wrote:I plan on blowing all of my graduation money on a backpacking trip to europe for a month or so.
I got money for graduation too. *shrug*

In the summer before law school, I'll most likely be in the Philippines and Hong Kong (or Singapore, still undecided).

plewis01

New

Post by plewis01 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:06 am

i must say that i started this post and i see that by now almost a thousand people have viewed it. thanks to everybody. originally i was going to pursue some stupid full time 8 30 - 4 30 job. after seeing all the responses, though, i have decided to backpack europe with my girlfriend for two months and then relax and surf (in RI...could be better...) for the few months of summer until I likely end up in boston for another year of my life at BC/BU law. thanks to all for the advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

minomata

New

Post by minomata » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:34 pm

My one concern comes from being paranoid. Woman traveling alone, maybe it shouldn't freak me out, but it does a bit.
I agree. Anyone who went to South/Central America know how safe it would be for a little 21 year old Asian chick running around alone? Suggestions for countries? I definitlyyy want to travel this summer!

wwarren

New

Post by wwarren » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:20 am

I hope to be in England for around a month. My girlfriend's dad and sister live there so we'll have somewhere to stay free of rent. I'm going to try to get one of those British heritage passes and see everything possible. If I run out of money I'll just be a waste of space in Cambridge instead of Georgia. :)

hotburrito

New

Post by hotburrito » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:37 am

jjr3 wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:Do something you'll enjoy. If you have the means, I suggest traveling.

I think I might quit work a month early and go to Santorini for a few weeks, or perhaps take a cross country road trip. I've never been to the West Coast, so that might be good.
F' Santorini too much of a honeymoon spot...now IOS is the way to go, stay at Francesco's if you can get it!
I was in Santorini in April (it was just slightly too empty and cold), and everybody said early May was the best time to go, after it's warm enough but before the crowds take over completely.

hotburrito

New

Post by hotburrito » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:39 am

minomata wrote:
My one concern comes from being paranoid. Woman traveling alone, maybe it shouldn't freak me out, but it does a bit.
I agree. Anyone who went to South/Central America know how safe it would be for a little 21 year old Asian chick running around alone? Suggestions for countries? I definitlyyy want to travel this summer!
I've never been, but I know there are always tons of young Americans/Brits/Australians running from hostel to hostel in Central/South America. I think it's probably very doable, esp. if you stick to routes geared towards young and (slightly) adventurous Westerners.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:14 pm

I ain't gonna graduate till the end of the summer, so I know what I am doing.

Oh well, the one class I have to take should not be too hard, I hope...

thefinalcut

New

Post by thefinalcut » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:50 pm

minomata wrote:
I have met many 21yr old women traveling alone in Venezuela/Mexico/Nicaragua at various backpackers hostels/bars/touristy-places. They happen to be mostly German/Swedish/French though. It is pretty safe as long as you use your common sense. Concerns over safety shouldn't deter you from exploring South/Central America. If you know some Spanish you will enjoy the trip more and feel safer and more confident.

waldodanto

New

Post by waldodanto » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:43 pm

chitown825 wrote:
I didn't get money for graduating high school. Not really an impressive feat in my family... :?

Vail67

New

Post by Vail67 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:18 pm

It's not an impressive feat to turn 21 either, but checks came in regardless.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ddp

New

Post by ddp » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:35 am

I'm going platinum blonde (naturally a brunette) and maybe getting an undercut.

etwake

New

Post by etwake » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:26 am

ddp wrote:I'm going platinum blonde (naturally a brunette) and maybe getting an undercut.
Define 'Undercut' for us men out there.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:04 am

minomata wrote:
I went to Venezuela by myself and had no problems. Have you travelled a lot before on your own?

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:46 am

minomata wrote:
I traveled alone in Central America (and talked to loads of girls who went to South America by themselves.) As always, don't be stupid, don't walk around at night in scary parts of cities, and recognize that bad luck can strike anyone - but I never felt uncomfortable. Also, this was the very beginning of my solo trip so I didn't have much experience traveling alone.

If you speak Spanish, Nicaragua is amazing - the friendliest people in the region. Guatemala is one of the easiest and cheapest Central American countries, and it has its highlights as well - Pacaya Volcano is awesome, and Semuc Champey is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Depends on what you're interested in of course! Machu Piccu in Peru is incredible - a must-see really. If I were spending time in South America I'd want to see Columbia, Bolivia, and Argentina.. so many places to go, so little time :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Teapot

New

Post by Teapot » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:51 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:Do something you'll enjoy. If you have the means, I suggest traveling.

I think I might quit work a month early and go to Santorini for a few weeks, or perhaps take a cross country road trip. I've never been to the West Coast, so that might be good.
+1 go abroad

studymaster

New

Post by studymaster » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:37 pm

I will be chilling in China for my time off. You really cant beat a vacation on $10 a day (plus travel) where you eat the best food of your life every day, and hang out with amazing ex-pats. :mrgreen: Oh how I miss you Xi'an

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:07 am

The traditional advice is to spend the entire time drinking and sleeping. I was slightly less productive than even that, but I was told it wouldn't matter. A couple of months ago at an interview, an 82-year-old judge who looked like he crawled out of his grave for the sole purpose of humbling me mentioned a gap he noticed on my resume. He was referring to the 2.5-month period between when I graduated college/moved home and when I relocated across the country for law school...

My experience may have been atypical, though; it was definitely surreal. Creepy statuettes were strewn across the floor of his huge wooden office, and everything was covered in a dusty film that probably consisted of flakes of dead skin. Former externs told me that the judge had eased up in his old age and would usually just tell humorous stories during interviews and not bother asking any real questions, but I guess he is on new meds that bring out his old workaholic side, even if he hides it by creating the impression that he is always about to nod off. Do not underestimate the extremely elderly, especially Palpatine-lookalike jurists who are still allowed to wield a lot of power. Also, change out of your wife beater and pajama pants and do something productive so you can avoid my fate. *rattles chains, a la Jacob Marley*

kpillai

New

Post by kpillai » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:23 am

I'm going to India for a month! And then, since I probably won't have a job anymore when I get back, I'll take road trips to visit friends I haven't seen in a while.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”