Crazy question -- what happens if I retake after scores expire? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LiquoreStoreHero

New

Crazy question -- what happens if I retake after scores expire?

Post by LiquoreStoreHero » Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:32 am

Hey guys, crazy question but here it goes: What happens if I retake after my initial scores expire?

I took the LSATs about half a year after graduating from college. I took them basically on a whim and without really doing my research on law schools or the legal job market. I finished my LSATs in July 2019. I did a little research. Then, COVID happened and also I had a series of bad life things happen. I got depressed and stagnant.

I'm still righting myself. I'm really, really scared that my scores will expire before I can apply, or that I'll only get one application cycle in. How bad will it be to have to retake the LSATs? I used up the majority of my study materials, and took it 3 times already, though that shouldn't constitute my lifetime limit as it was before the 7-exam limit was implemented.

I ask because I need to know how much I should weigh the price of going to law school whilst a little unsure of what it's like to be a lawyer, versus how much I should worry about scoring lower upon retaking after so much time has passed and time spent studying for my first round of LSATs.

I want to know that if I still need some time to recuperate or find my way, that law school will still be there for me, knowing that I took my LSATs prematurely.

Rule23andMe

New

Re: Crazy question -- what happens if I retake after scores expire?

Post by Rule23andMe » Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:20 pm

Are you ready (or, mostly ready) to apply and go to law school soon? Are you happy enough with your scores? Go ahead and apply...
Not ready yet? Don't go if you're not sure you want to be a lawyer. Being a little unsure about what it's like to be one =/= not ready or not wanting to go at all, so hard to give you a better answer with the info here.

As to whether you'll do better or worse on a retake, don't think anyone here can give you an answer but I'll say you won't be starting from scratch if you try again. You took it three times - you're familiar with the format and just need to resharpen. Anecdotally, I took it twice total 2-3 years apart and did dramatically better second time granted I had a bad day the first time. Without knowing anything about your scores, hard to give any more guidance but I wouldn't be worried too much about getting dramatically lower scores as long as you have time to practice again. But if you're not ready to apply... don't force yourself into it

LiquoreStoreHero

New

Post by LiquoreStoreHero » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:31 pm

I got a 170. I was more happy with it in 2019, but I missed LSAT-flex and that fucked everything up and I'm no longer happy with my 170. Also, I grew up a lot. I understand, now, that a law school education is a life-long investment and not something to be done "for as cheap as possible" for the most part.

My main concern is that I won't get another 170. That I'll score lower. That's really it.

ignorantfoot33

New

Post by ignorantfoot33 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:27 am

If you are willing to put in the time to study again, you'll likely score higher. It's also generally a terrible idea to apply to law school just because you don't want your LSAT score to expire - wait and apply when you're actually ready to do the grind of law school.

LiquoreStoreHero

New

Post by LiquoreStoreHero » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:42 am

Rule23andMe wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:20 pm
Are you ready (or, mostly ready) to apply and go to law school soon? Are you happy enough with your scores? Go ahead and apply...
Not ready yet? Don't go if you're not sure you want to be a lawyer. Being a little unsure about what it's like to be one =/= not ready or not wanting to go at all, so hard to give you a better answer with the info here.
I want to know what other career paths exist, especially tech or data science, but I have a bachelors in a humanities topic and I don't know what else I can easily do in a timely manner that will pay well. Like, realistically, I have trained most of my life in analysis, research and writing; I studied some math in the last year for personal edification, but I'm not even ready for Calc-1 yet. I want to live comfortably. I was supposed to research this stuff. I also have been largely unemployed the last year and a half, which I know isn't good. I spiraled a bit. I had a rough life situation and I'm working on getting out of it right now.

I'm also a little unsure of what it's like to be a lawyer. I didn't actually spend much time working with lawyers prior to taking the LSATs, which is my fault. I worked with one doing personal injury for a few months and it seemed okay. I'm a bit ready. If I got a good scholarship to a good school (T14 -- a long shot now, I know) then I'd absolutely be game, just for the life experience. I think applying makes sense just to get me out of my comfort zone; I didn't even apply the last few years. I can make big decisions after seeing where I get in.

irennelynk

New

Post by irennelynk » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:00 am

For your circumstances, I would sugest career paths like technical writer, content strategist, UX designer, project manager, or data analyst.

You don't have to have a technical degree to work in these fields. Many companies are willing to train employees who have the right skills and aptitude.

If you're interested in law, do some more research to see if it's a good fit for you.

No matter what you decide to do, don't be afraid to explore your options. Best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”