How "regional" is PI vs firms? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LivHandsome

How "regional" is PI vs firms?

Post by LivHandsome » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:27 pm

It seems to be common knowledge on TLS that outside of the T14, law schools are largely regional--that they place graduates primarily in the markets in or near which they're located. Usually, though, I see this in reference to firms/biglaw. To what extent does this apply to public interest/government work as well? Of course the top positions in any field go the T14, but is there any more or less flexibility with lower schools when it comes to PI? Thoughts on T20 would be especially relevant to me, but anything anyone could offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

QContinuum

Re: How "regional" is PI vs firms?

Post by QContinuum » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:44 pm

Greater flexibility, PI primarily cares about seeing a record of past volunteering/internships/externships demonstrating your dedication to the cause in question. That said, if you're looking in a completely different part of the country where you have no ties, you'll probably still want to have some explanation for why you're looking there (aside from "I need a job badly!").

LivHandsome

Post by LivHandsome » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:50 pm

QContinuum wrote:Greater flexibility, PI primarily cares about seeing a record of past volunteering/internships/externships demonstrating your dedication to the cause in question. That said, if you're looking in a completely different part of the country where you have no ties, you'll probably still want to have some explanation for why you're looking there (aside from "I need a job badly!").
Was waiting to reply to this in hopes that a couple other people might chime in, but alas. That's great--I've been all over the place so I've got shallow ties to half the country and deep ties to nowhere. Bodes well. Thanks!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:46 pm

Happy to help - and I've moved this to the main Law School Admissions forum, which I think more eyeballs view.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”