Help! GPA Disparity Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jcbc952

New

Help! GPA Disparity

Post by jcbc952 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:50 pm

So, turns out my LSDAS GPA is actually lower than my degree GPA once some community college classes from high school are factored in.
I did pretty poorly in the two cc classes and drops me from my 4.0 at my current institution (ivy) to a 3.75-ish (on the lower end of that). If I do well senior year and delay a cycle, I could get that up to around 3.8-ish (lower end of that, most likely).
Thought I would be pretty competitive at some of the top schools, but my GPA is making things harder.
Does anyone know if schools take into consideration that what's bringing my GPA down is actually two cc classes from my hs? Or is it solely focused on the LSDAS GPA?
Also is a .01 difference (ie 3.82 to 3.83) in GPA worth loading up on classes my senior year? My intuition tells me it doesn't but mylsn tells me it does? Thoughts?
Really bummed rn and just looking for some advice. Thanks in advance, all!

dropout

New

Re: Help! GPA Disparity

Post by dropout » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:13 pm

Law schools will only care about your LSDAS gpa

Pneumonia

Gold

Re: Help! GPA Disparity

Post by Pneumonia » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:38 pm

jcbc952 wrote:So, turns out my LSDAS GPA is actually lower than my degree GPA once some community college classes from high school are factored in.
I did pretty poorly in the two cc classes and drops me from my 4.0 at my current institution (ivy) to a 3.75-ish (on the lower end of that). If I do well senior year and delay a cycle, I could get that up to around 3.8-ish (lower end of that, most likely).
Thought I would be pretty competitive at some of the top schools, but my GPA is making things harder.
Does anyone know if schools take into consideration that what's bringing my GPA down is actually two cc classes from my hs? Or is it solely focused on the LSDAS GPA?
Also is a .01 difference (ie 3.82 to 3.83) in GPA worth loading up on classes my senior year? My intuition tells me it doesn't but mylsn tells me it does? Thoughts?
Really bummed rn and just looking for some advice. Thanks in advance, all!
Sorry about your GPA. Mine was also weighed down (to a 3.5) by community-college dual-credit in high school. On the bright side, your GPA puts you in the running at every law school in the country. You'll have to do well on the LSAT for a shot at HYS, but overall you're still in great shape.

Sorry, but schools will not care at all about why your GPA is a 3.75. Your LSDAS GPA is the only thing that matters.

And I don't think a 0.01 difference is worth loading up on classes for. Enjoy your senior year, and keep getting straight As.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”