International GPA - Potential issue Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sannanna

New

International GPA - Potential issue

Post by Sannanna » Wed May 30, 2018 6:34 am

Hello,

I realize there are a few similar posts addressing the issue of International GPAs and most people are of the opinion that they do not consider them at all and it would reflect on the application as 'No GPA'. However LSAC now has a dedicated page stating how these transcripts will be converted to reflect the American grading system along with a rough conversion scale. Is this something new introduced this year?

My problem lies with the uncertainty of how my GPA will be viewed. I went to a very competitive school in India and graduated with an honors degree in Business with a major in Finance. I scored 80 percentage overall (Easily top 10 -15 in my entire batch). However my school calculates GPA quite differently and thus on my transcript I have a GPA of 2.64/4 (Which is grossly understated if you compare it with American grades).

Do you foresee this causing any problems with my application? Should I add an addendum explaining this on similar lines? I went on to be handpicked for a coveted analyst position in Goldman Sachs where I have been working for the last year and a half (and also passed level 1 of the CFA charter exams) which I hope reflects that my college performance was not sub par in any way. Appreciate any advice on this matter.

albanach

Gold

Re: International GPA - Potential issue

Post by albanach » Wed May 30, 2018 10:15 am

Sannanna wrote:Hello,

I realize there are a few similar posts addressing the issue of International GPAs and most people are of the opinion that they do not consider them at all and it would reflect on the application as 'No GPA'. However LSAC now has a dedicated page stating how these transcripts will be converted to reflect the American grading system along with a rough conversion scale. Is this something new introduced this year?

My problem lies with the uncertainty of how my GPA will be viewed. I went to a very competitive school in India and graduated with an honors degree in Business with a major in Finance. I scored 80 percentage overall (Easily top 10 -15 in my entire batch). However my school calculates GPA quite differently and thus on my transcript I have a GPA of 2.64/4 (Which is grossly understated if you compare it with American grades).

Do you foresee this causing any problems with my application? Should I add an addendum explaining this on similar lines? I went on to be handpicked for a coveted analyst position in Goldman Sachs where I have been working for the last year and a half (and also passed level 1 of the CFA charter exams) which I hope reflects that my college performance was not sub par in any way. Appreciate any advice on this matter.
Might it not make sense to link to the page you say exists?

The reason that international GPAs are mostly discounted is that they aren't reported to/considered by the US News, and therefore don't affect the school's ranking. Of course the school will still be looking at your academic performance, but they only need to be satisfied that it meets their standard, they don't have to conduct a balancing game as to how the GPA affects their 25-50-75 percentiles.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”