GPA is absolute? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rimasu

New

GPA is absolute?

Post by rimasu » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:17 pm

Hi, I'm preparing for applying for law schools this cycle.
The problem is my GPA.
I attened two colleges; the first one I dropped out after 6 sememsters, as I was not really into my major, then I got into the other college in which I got quite decent grades.
The first one? approximately 3.0... :(
I read an article the other day, which mentioned law schools don't care about too much for the first one, and GPA was not that ablsolute.
Is this true?
I really want to go into T14.

rimasu

New

Re: GPA is absolute?

Post by rimasu » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:03 am

rimasu wrote:Hi, I'm preparing for law schools this cycle.
The problem is my GPA.
I attened two colleges; the first one I dropped out after 6 sememsters, as I was not really into my major, then I got into the other college in which I got quite decent grades.
The first one? approximately 3.0... :(
I read an article the other day, which mentioned law schools don't care about too much for the first one, and GPA was not that ablsolute.
Is this true?
I really want to go into T14.

Cavoisture

New

Post by Cavoisture » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:00 pm

Hello

DerKatze

New

Post by DerKatze » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:59 am

Law schools care about your cumulative GPA up until you received your first bachelor's degree. Grades after you are awarded your first bachelors count as soft factors, but are nowhere near as important. Since you went to this other college for 6 semesters, your GPA during that time will be hugely influential on your GPA overall, meaning it will strongly affect your ability to get into a T14. If you are preparing to apply for law schools this upcoming cycle, I take it there isn't much more you can do to change your GPA. How long have you been at the new school? What have your grades been like at the new school? Do you graduate next month or next year, or have you already graduated? If next year, this is more beneficial, because you have the opportunity to take summer courses at community college where you can demonstrate your true ability (i.e. raise your GPA). The 3.0 itself isn't terrible, but the effect it will have on your cumulative GPA is harmful.

rimasu

New

Post by rimasu » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:29 am

Awwww I’m so frustrated.
I graduated my last school this year.
And GPA is 3.9
Even if I graduated my first one long time ago, it would effect a lot?
I heard they would consider the first one not that much.
:cry:

DerKatze wrote:Law schools care about your cumulative GPA up until you received your first bachelor's degree. Grades after you are awarded your first bachelors count as soft factors, but are nowhere near as important. Since you went to this other college for 6 semesters, your GPA during that time will be hugely influential on your GPA overall, meaning it will strongly affect your ability to get into a T14. If you are preparing to apply for law schools this upcoming cycle, I take it there isn't much more you can do to change your GPA. How long have you been at the new school? What have your grades been like at the new school? Do you graduate next month or next year, or have you already graduated? If next year, this is more beneficial, because you have the opportunity to take summer courses at community college where you can demonstrate your true ability (i.e. raise your GPA). The 3.0 itself isn't terrible, but the effect it will have on your cumulative GPA is harmful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”